Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    That new light sabre is stupid, why can't they just leave that one thing alone?
    HOWWWWWWWW will he not cut his hand when swinging. Someone tell me how!?!

Dobber Sports Star

The more I watch the teaser, the more it grows on me. I think it'll be good and I'll be seeing it on the big screen for sure.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    HOWWWWWWWW will he not cut his hand when swinging. Someone tell me how!?!
    That's pretty easy.
    1 - He's a jedi (or more probably a sith) and we all know they are masters with their weapon.
    2 - He probably won't have it 'on' at all time.

My 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Meh.
    I don't know... this video doesn't do anything for me.
    I'm not saying it's good... or bad... it's just there's nothing here.

A new light saber...
    A new hovercraft/speedbike...
    A new little droid...
    And the typical star wars type scene opener melodies that have become Pavlovian-candy for our ears...

It gets me excited because I love Star Wars... but... still can't extract anything about the movie from this.

I'll give the video an A+ for lack of Jar-Jar-Binks sightings.

Dobber Sports Titan

I was never a big star wars fan, mostly because I was born in the 90s. This trailer did nothing for me. More of a, “cool. Another Star Wars”. I’ll see it I’m sure, but I really wasn’t a fan of the trailer. It reminded me of a Call of Duty video game trailer released 8months before the game is released. Stupid tidbits of things that can keep people talking.

The saber, and the bike, and the droid. None will have a huge impact in this movie. It was just something to tie ppl over between when they released photos, to when they release a 2nd trailer in February/march, to when they release the “official” trailer.

I honestly liked the Jurassic World trailer a lot more. It actually showed the main plot line.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Am I wrong when I say, I don't think they are even done filming this yet. Isn't Harrison Ford still out with some sort of injury or something?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Am I wrong when I say, I don't think they are even done filming this yet. Isn't Harrison Ford still out with some sort of injury or something?
    UBI or LBI?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Meh.
    I don't know... this video doesn't do anything for me.
    I'm not saying it's good... or bad... it's just there's nothing here.

A new light saber...
    A new hovercraft/speedbike...
    A new little droid...
    And the typical star wars type scene opener melodies that have become Pavlovian-candy for our ears...

It gets me excited because I love Star Wars... but... still can't extract anything about the movie from this.
    I'm with you. To me it looked like every other Star Wars movie but with better graphics. I didn't see any hints that show what is the main issue of the movie except the generic light vs dark.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just a comment on the "new" lightsaber. Just because it is new to star wars movies doesn't mean it is new to star wars. There are a ton of different versions to the "traditional" lightsaber that movie fans are used to, including this one and even whips. I don't really see how it's a point of contention to love or hate.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Just a comment on the "new" lightsaber. Just because it is new to star wars movies doesn't mean it is new to star wars. There are a ton of different versions to the "traditional" lightsaber that movie fans are used to, including this one and even whips. I don't really see how it's a point of contention to love or hate.
    You’re right, the Star Wars history is huge, and this could be an old school saber for all we know. Because in reality, those style of swords are even kinda old right? But the fact that it was a “big” part of the trailer was pretty lack luster. They purposely made them ‘activate’ separately from the traditional saber for dramatic effect. So the producers/writers/director or whoever wanted us to be impressed with this new-to-movie saber.

---Edit---
    If it was old school we might have seen it in the ‘newer-made’ movies. But the original point is still valid I think.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To take this thread in a different direction....

<NO SPOILERS THOUGH... mkay>

What if the dark figure walking through the woods is Luke Skywalker?
    And he's... evil!??
    And he's... got the new lightsaber to guard against getting his hand cut off?

I'm sure the hard-cores already know the direction of the new story.
    I do not.
    Can't say I've done any "reading" or know "the story"...

So... without knowing... obviously the dark figure is some key figure.
    Do we already know this figure from Jedi... or not... is it a new character?

To alter a quote from Old School and make relevant to Star Wars
    ...and I found myself wondering what <the new villian's light saber> might be. Her <weapon>. Uh, odds are they are probably basic <red stick light sabre>. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're <some newer style>, maybe it's a <sexier version>. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? What, I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    To take this thread in a different direction....

<NO SPOILERS THOUGH... mkay>

What if the dark figure walking through the woods is Luke Skywalker?
    And he's... evil!??
    And he's... got the new lightsaber to guard against getting his hand cut off?

I'm sure the hard-cores already know the direction of the new story.
    I do not.
    Can't say I've done any "reading" or know "the story"...

So... without knowing... obviously the dark figure is some key figure.
    Do we already know this figure from Jedi... or not... is it a new character?

To alter a quote from Old School and make relevant to Star Wars
    ...and I found myself wondering what <the new villian's light saber> might be. Her <weapon>. Uh, odds are they are probably basic <red stick light sabre>. But I sort of think, well, maybe they're <some newer style>, maybe it's a <sexier version>. Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about. You know, and uh, and I started feeling... what? What, I thought we were in the trust tree in the nest, were we not?...
    This movie takes place a lot later in the storyline but I do have an old graphic novel at home that had a story arc that took place after "Heir to the Empire" novels. The story was called Dark Force Rising and the timeline had both of Han & Leia's twins as children and they were still pregnant with the 3rd. The story arc basically revolved around the fact that the Emperor was still around because his life force was pure Force energy and he had many clone bodies that he could resurrect into, thus allowing him to take control of the remaining Empire again. Luke realizes this and faces off against the Emperor only to have the Emperor make him an offer that he cannot refuse. Emperor offers to teach Luke everything he knows about controlling the Dark Force and give Luke the opportunity to defeat him from within. Luke falls for it and gets seduced by the Dark Force power and takes his father's place as the Emperors champion. Long story short, Luke goes bad ass and becomes worse than Vader ever was against the Alliance and you have the eventually showdown between Luke and Leia. Really dark story.

If the movie is anything like this, it's going to be really (Empire Strikes Back) awesome.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sah-weet!
    (rep)

Dobber Sports Titan

What the hell happened to no spoilers!? Don’t even have to watch it now. But I can see that going through 3 movies. BS and battles in the first, then the Emperor gives the suggestion of learning the dark side at the end of the 1st. 2nd is about Luke effing sh!t up, and being all badass and killing 40 kids and 10 babies to one up his dad. 3rd is the eventual complete fall of the empire/Sith. Maybe Luke actually goes double agent on the Emperor?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    What the hell happened to no spoilers!? Don’t even have to watch it now. But I can see that going through 3 movies. BS and battles in the first, then the Emperor gives the suggestion of learning the dark side at the end of the 1st. 2nd is about Luke effing sh!t up, and being all badass and killing 40 kids and 10 babies to one up his dad. 3rd is the eventual complete fall of the empire/Sith. Maybe Luke actually goes double agent on the Emperor?
    I'm all for killing babies, but the Emperor died in Jedi
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    No spoilers were given. My take was from a comic book from the 1990's and the story arc timeline is a lot earlier than this movie's timeline. The movie probably has nothing to do with any of the comic book historical canon so I'm pretty sure you're safe here.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion