Thread: How to Fix the Oilers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: How to Fix the Oilers

#1. Hire Dan Bylsma

When I watched HBO’s 24/7 I came away impressed with Dan Bylsma. I believe he is young enough to adapt and learn from his mistakes in Pittsburgh, and what I really like about him is his charisma – he seems like the kind of guy that players want to play for and listen to.
    I'd have no issue with Bylsma as the next head coach.
    #2. Tank one last time.

The season is a quarter over. The team is in last place and the FRANCHISE player of the decade is available next summer. Don’t screw it up. In order to ensure this, the team must move out Purcell, Arcobello, Gorden, Hendricks, Nikitin, Shultz and basically anyone who is useful, has a tradeable contract and who might accidentally help you win games the rest of the way.
    They are bad enough, tanking won't be a problem. They are losing enough when they supposedly are trying.

#3 Trade Ryan Nugent Hopkins to Toronto

The Leafs are in desperate need of a centre, the Oilers won’t need RNH anymore because they have Draisaitl and are positioning themselves to acquire McDavid or Eichel. The great thing about this plan is that it’s fool-proof. The team is virtually guaranteed a top five pick, which at worst gets you Dylan Strome. If they do finish last, but lose the lottery, they can always trade down and select Strome, or Pavel Zacha, either way, the 2015 draft is potentially loaded with potential front line centres.

In exchange for RNH, the Oilers could extract Morgan Rielly (giving them a potential franchise defenseman) and Tyler Bozak who could fill in the rest of this year and then slot in nicely on the third line going forward.
    I don't want to move Nuge but this trade would actually be a good one for the Oilers. Problem is, no way the Leafs would do it.

#4 Trade Eberle to Anaheim

The Oilers need a goalie, the Ducks could use Eberle to pair with Kesler to make a pretty dynamic second line. This just fits. John Gibson is currently considered by many to be the best non-starting goalie in the world. The Ducks have Anderson and he is nearly as young as Gibson, so eventually they will have to move one of them anyways.
    Interesting. That's expensive for an unproven goalie though. Sure in fantasy land we look at deals like this all the time and do it, but in real life when a guy like Corey Schneider gets you the 7th overall pick in a draft, you have to think Eberle is worth more than John Gibson. As I say, players are valued differently in real life than they are in fantasy hockey.

#5 Trade Yakupov for a defenseman

As I’ve said before in this column, I believe in Tyler Myers. The guy is 6’8 and 24 years old. He’s the perfect guy for the Oilers – he’s available, he has #1 potential, and he is massive. One I had him, I would make him watch tape after tape of Chara’s greatest hits.

You need Yakupov to replace Eberle. Plus, I can't stand Tyler Myers. He has enough bad habits coming from Buffalo as it is.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

They don't have the right people to run a successful hockey team.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd have no issue with Bylsma as the next head coach.

They are bad enough, tanking won't be a problem. They are losing enough when they supposedly are trying.

I don't want to move Nuge but this trade would actually be a good one for the Oilers. Problem is, no way the Leafs would do it.

Interesting. That's expensive for an unproven goalie though. Sure in fantasy land we look at deals like this all the time and do it, but in real life when a guy like Corey Schneider gets you the 7th overall pick in a draft, you have to think Eberle is worth more than John Gibson. As I say, players are valued differently in real life than they are in fantasy hockey.

You need Yakupov to replace Eberle. Plus, I can't stand Tyler Myers. He has enough bad habits coming from Buffalo as it is.
    I appreciate a well thought out response. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Deity

Unfortunately, option #1 really doesn't solve the management issues. Those should really be #1 on your list.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Taylor Hall is the oldest part of the "core" on that team. He's only 23.

These extreme suggestions would set the franchise back even farther.

David Perron is not really a "gritty" player. Maybe in comparison to RNH he is but he's always been a "dangler" since junior. Soft mitts. He's also their best possession player at the moment.

RNH for Reilly would be a pretty big step backwards. They have a cupboard full of young defenseman that jus need time.

Yakupov still has 40G upside, not sure why they would give up on him yet. Don't see how trading him for a terrible D who had one lucky season would improve a team.

Bylsma - got charisma, which wins hockey games? What about a coach that has a proven record of working with a young team to develop good habits. That's the factors I would be looking for.

I know it's been a while but really time is the only thing that will solve the Oiler's woes. They have a ton of skill and would be best served by keeping what they know they have instead of trading what they got for "potential" in guys like Gibson, myers, etc.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop