Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Huge QB decision to this week in my yahoo league?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Huge QB decision to this week in my yahoo league?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It’s a lot different projecting football than hockey. Hockey is play your best, never really read too much into the other team (ie. Buffalo vs Toronto, or Toronto vs Boston), because goals by your best player happen at random. Kessel could score 2 or none doesn’t matter who he plays.

In football, every QB vs a bad team is almost guaranteed 2 TDs. 2TDs almost mean 200yards minimum. So in most formats that’s like 14points right there, then you add in INT issues and such.

Stafford vs a great defense will through picks. No doubt. If he is down in a game, he’ll throw dumb tosses to megatron, and great defense will pick that off 4/10. A Pick in our league is -4 points I think. Good defensive coverage means the QB will hold the ball longer, raising the chance of a sack, and in our league that’s also -4 points.

Unless you have Payton, Rodgers, Brady, or Brees, there isn’t a QB in the league that I wouldn’t question starting when you have a middle QB against a terrible defense.

And at least you aren't these penguins.... (PS, crude but natural content)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...al-furore.html

Well now... I love ya man... but this was a little too much explanation as to why you got it right and why me/we got it wrong.
    Truth is, it worked out for ya this time.
    But a whole explanation... now, that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, like you have it all figured out and decided that perhaps I need a whole general explanation so I can get it right next time.

On a "pick one" call... I probably get these right 60%-75% of the time.
    If somebody shows up every time when I get it wrong... it makes me feel bad... because I (!!!) don't show up the 60%-75% of the time to beat my chest on daily-picks when I get them right.

Understand what I'm saying here?

(Your justification reply rubbed me the wrong way. Explaining it to me like I don't get it because this is football and I might be a "hockey guy". If I was asked to pick this one again, I'd still go with Stafford.)

As a follow-up, poke around at some "expert picks", like the Sablich brothers from NY Times.
    Even THEY had Stafford as a better call than McCown.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ings.html?_r=0

Dobber Sports Titan

I guess I’m not a big believer in the Lions the last few weeks without Bush. All yr Megatron has been a dud really. Didn’t mean to rub you the wrong way, but I’m going to say Stafford hasn’t been playing well enough for me to think he could out perform a really good defense.

It was more of a next time when a QB is against a bad pass defense to use the 200yrd 2TDs thing. Mettenberger got 263yrds and 2TDs vs a bad pass defense yesterday (whole secondary is like banged up).

Didn’t mean to rub it in on the last comment. The first one….. a bit of a self-brag.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I’d like to point out in my league McCown did better than Stafford. McCown 17.xx points, Stafford 0.32 points.

2014OlympicGold for the win.
    Congrats.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It’s a lot different projecting football than hockey. Hockey is play your best, never really read too much into the other team (ie. Buffalo vs Toronto, or Toronto vs Boston), because goals by your best player happen at random. Kessel could score 2 or none doesn’t matter who he plays.

In football, every QB vs a bad team is almost guaranteed 2 TDs. 2TDs almost mean 200yards minimum. So in most formats that’s like 14points right there, then you add in INT issues and such.

Stafford vs a great defense will through picks. No doubt. If he is down in a game, he’ll throw dumb tosses to megatron, and great defense will pick that off 4/10. A Pick in our league is -4 points I think. Good defensive coverage means the QB will hold the ball longer, raising the chance of a sack, and in our league that’s also -4 points.

Unless you have Payton, Rodgers, Brady, or Brees, there isn’t a QB in the league that I wouldn’t question starting when you have a middle QB against a terrible defense.

I stream at QB in most leagues so I get what you are saying(I went Mettz myself this week in a number of leagues). but in no way shape or form IMO do you start a Buccaneer QB who is playing his 1st game of the year before Stafford. a guy who you can usually count on for 1 TD in a bad game and a guy we have been watching making it through the whole game all year. nothing worse than using these 1st time starters and then they get hurt, or pulled.

Sometimes the smart play is not the right play. that is fantasy football for you. it is why the guy who is usally in last place once every 5 years has a great team. luck.

And at least you aren't these penguins.... (PS, crude but natural content)
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2839233/The-shocking-photographs-revealed-seals-having-sex-penguins-sparked-international-furore.html
    I stream at QB in most leagues so I get what you are saying(I went Mettz myself this week in a number of leagues). but in no way shape or form IMO do you start a Buccaneer QB who is playing his 1st game of the year before Stafford. a guy who you can usually count on for 1 TD in a bad game and a guy we have been watching making it through the whole game all year. nothing worse than using these 1st time starters and then they get hurt, or pulled.

Sometimes the smart play is not the right play. that is fantasy football for you. it is why the guy who is usally in last place once every 5 years has a great team. luck.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbersnest View Post
    Josh McCown is a veteran QB too. He’s no rookie. He’s started 5 games this yr (4 previous to Sundays), so it wasn’t his first game. With a QB rating of 82.6, he’s not far off from Stafford’s 85 rating.

Stafford’s averaging 22.6/36.9 (61%) for 270yards, 1.3TDs, 0.9INTs, and 3.1sacks per game this yr. This is no longer the Stafford who averaged 26/41 (63%) 315yards, 2.6TDs, 1INT, 2.25sacks per game in 2011

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Josh McCown is a veteran QB too. He’s no rookie. He’s started 5 games this yr (4 previous to Sundays), so it wasn’t his first game. With a QB rating of 82.6, he’s not far off from Stafford’s 85 rating.

Stafford’s averaging 22.6/36.9 (61%) for 270yards, 1.3TDs, 0.9INTs, and 3.1sacks per game this yr. This is no longer the Stafford who averaged 26/41 (63%) 315yards, 2.6TDs, 1INT, 2.25sacks per game in 2011
    I understand who McCown is. he is the QB for the Buccaneers. a team that fantasy leaguers are steaming defenses against.

And I did not have Stafford or Mettz would of never seen the field. as I said, luck.

I am not saying Stafford is great. just saying I have seen him finish quite a few seasons in a row now. Mcown I see play 4 games here, 2 games here. as in " ole Brother Where Art Though" Stafford is bonafide.

McCown is more likely to throw for under 200 yards than Stafford, based on this season's numbers. You rolled the dice and won this week, but maybe you should play McCown from here on out and we'll compare numbers at the end.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    McCown is more likely to throw for under 200 yards than Stafford, based on this season's numbers. You rolled the dice and won this week, but maybe you should play McCown from here on out and we'll compare numbers at the end.
    Sad part is if they had not pulled Glennon I would of agreed with him last week. McCown just puts himself into to many "get yourself knocked out of the game" positions.

Dobber Sports Titan

If the Lions were up against another top defence this yr I’d see who TB was playing to see if McCown had the shot of beating out Stafford again. But with Patriots, Bears, Bucs, Vikings, Bears, Packers to finish the season, the Lions are up for some easy wins (4 of the next 6 need to be won by the Lions). Also 4 of the 6 final games are at home.

Sunday November 23rd with the Bucs @ Chicago would be a good judge to see who’s capable of picking apart defenses? Lions @ Patriots with Patriots being an above average passing defense team. It’s not the same difference in opponents like last week, but it’s the closest to last week’s teams. Next week I’d say start Stafford (if Reggie Bush plays, this is a definite start), but McCown will be within 5pts. (0.25pts/yrd thrown, 0.1/yard rushed, 4pts/thrown TD, 6pts/rush TD, -1/sack, -2/int, -1/fumble, -2/fumble lost)

If I insulted you by what you heard as talking down, well hard to put the context in voice through typed words, but it wasn’t meant to be talked down too. If you say I got lucky, so be it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If the Lions were up against another top defence this yr I’d see who TB was playing to see if McCown had the shot of beating out Stafford again. But with Patriots, Bears, Bucs, Vikings, Bears, Packers to finish the season, the Lions are up for some easy wins (4 of the next 6 need to be won by the Lions). Also 4 of the 6 final games are at home.

Sunday November 23rd with the Bucs @ Chicago would be a good judge to see who’s capable of picking apart defenses? Lions @ Patriots with Patriots being an above average passing defense team. It’s not the same difference in opponents like last week, but it’s the closest to last week’s teams. Next week I’d say start Stafford (if Reggie Bush plays, this is a definite start), but McCown will be within 5pts. (0.25pts/yrd thrown, 0.1/yard rushed, 4pts/thrown TD, 6pts/rush TD, -1/sack, -2/int, -1/fumble, -2/fumble lost)

If I insulted you by what you heard as talking down, well hard to put the context in voice through typed words, but it wasn’t meant to be talked down too. If you say I got lucky, so be it.
    You got the points brother so you are the smart 1 here. it was just as you put it, a I told you so kind of thing.

Keep kicking butt ,I am for you.