Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huge QB decision to this week in my yahoo league?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Huge QB decision to this week in my yahoo league?

My choices are stafford at arizona projected 20 points or Josh Mccown at WASH projected 25 points....This decision can decide if i make the playoffs this year please advise what to do thanks

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Huge QB decision to this week in my yahoo league?

I'd choose the better player in the better offense with the better weapons.

Stafford. Projections are dumb.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yahoo! projections blow.
    They are completely pre-calculated based on past performance of player vs. defense they are facing.

But c'mon... McCown vs. Stafford.
    Go with Stafford.
    Arizona is GOOD... which means the Lions might be playing from behind... which means lots of sliggin' it from Stafford.

(And for example, the Stafford calculation would build in the past 3-4 weeks... where he only had Megatron for ONE of them...)

Dobber Sports Titan

This is actually tough decision guys. Yeah it’s Stafford with Megatron, but it’s also the Arizona Defense. And the Arizona Offense without Palmer. Remember the week he was out? Stanton had about 4 passes that should have been INT. If those happen early, watch for a running game. The games Stafford has done well in were against NYG, NYJ, and Atlanta. Not the best passing defenses out there.

McCown is against a team that got 2 sacks, no INTs, not fumble recs last week against THE VIKINGS. A defense that only has 8 turnovers this yr, 4 if you don’t count week 7 and 8.

This will be bold, but I’m going to say McCown will do better than Stafford. However, if you are in the playoff run right now, no need to be bold and play the Boom-or-Bust guy.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Stafford is facing the 3rd rank D versus the pass, giving up only 18 FP/g to QBs. Whereas McCown is facing the 27th ranked.

...and Cards won't be as good w/out Palmer.

Don't know that I would bench Stafford. But 280/2/1 is attainable by either QB...it's close imo.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Stanton did beat NYG and SF in his first two starts... plus Zona played well against Denver for 3Q.
    Stanton is no slouch... I don't think he's that far off Palmer.

And re: Zona D.
    Yeah... they are awesome... but the Lions now have a super-dual WR threat... and Stafford's gonna have no problem looking off the PP-covered WR to the other guy - whoever that may be.

McCown has 4 TD/6 INT this year.
    I think the Yahoo! computers are giving him an inflated (automated!) projection because the computer aren't smart enough to avoid extrapolating the points from the 2 rushing TDs he had in Week 2.

I rostered McCown for the first three games of this season on my fantasy team and watched him play bits of all.
    He was pulling points out of his ass the first two weeks & parts of last week.
    At no point was I impressed with him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I understand the want to start McCown. he has the matchup and probably more upside.but I think he also has more downside and I would not want to risk my playoffs with him over Stafford. I just could not bench Stafford for him. but I understand the want.

You cannot trust Yahoo for things like injuries, projections.

Dolphins DST is rated 2nd best against opposing QBs. Stafford put up 280/2/1. And consider that it should have been 280/2/0. Brent Grimes had probably the most ridiculous interception you will see this year. He's better than Patrick Peterson, who is a fake shutdown corner.

Arizona has an awesome run D. They are the 13th best DST against opposing QBs. I dunno where you're getting your stats from Bomm. Arizona has given up good stats to Denver (42 points) and Philly (28 Points). They've given up decent stats to San Fran (21 Points) and Washington (22 points, fluke). They've had good games against SD week 1 (14.5 points), NYG (20 points), Oak (7 points), Dal (9 points), and STL (8 Points). Other than Dallas, not exactly world beaters.

Also keep in mind Washington has given good stats up to the Eagles, Giants (fluke), and the Seahawks. They gave up average games to Dallas (23 points) and the Cardinals (20 Points) and have given up 20 or less to Hou, Jac, Ten, Min. I'm much more willing to put the Bucs in one of the latter two groups than the first one. And it's in Washington.

Stafford is apparently massively underrated. I'd easily put him on par with the Eagles quality of offense, and their run game isn't going anywhere in Zona. Stafford is the easy easy choice for me. Playing McCown is overthinking it and getting cute.

The "downside" is a very good point, and TB is a much worse offense in general.

I just see a low scoring Lions @ Ariz game. Two very good D's bashing it out. But I would agree generally,you should start Stafford over McCheckdown.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Dolphins DST is rated 2nd best against opposing QBs. Stafford put up 280/2/1. And consider that it should have been 280/2/0. Brent Grimes had probably the most ridiculous interception you will see this year. He's better than Patrick Peterson, who is a fake shutdown corner.

Arizona has an awesome run D. They are the 13th best DST against opposing QBs. I dunno where you're getting your stats from Bomm. Arizona has given up good stats to Denver (42 points) and Philly (28 Points). They've given up decent stats to San Fran (21 Points) and Washington (22 points, fluke). They've had good games against SD week 1 (14.5 points), NYG (20 points), Oak (7 points), Dal (9 points), and STL (8 Points). Other than Dallas, not exactly world beaters.

Also keep in mind Washington has given good stats up to the Eagles, Giants (fluke), and the Seahawks. They gave up average games to Dallas (23 points) and the Cardinals (20 Points) and have given up 20 or less to Hou, Jac, Ten, Min. I'm much more willing to put the Bucs in one of the latter two groups than the first one. And it's in Washington.

Stafford is apparently massively underrated. I'd easily put him on par with the Eagles quality of offense, and their run game isn't going anywhere in Zona. Stafford is the easy easy choice for me. Playing McCown is overthinking it and getting cute.
    I said third best versus the pass

...and Det has no run game. So that's a moot point.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Titan

They’re run game consists of Stafford dumping it off.

If he’s top 4 in his league, I’d play Stafford, only because he’s the easier choice to start. In my typical scoring league he got 13, 11.5, 26, 28.9, 26 points the last 5 weeks. His big numbers come when he throws over 40 passes, and he throws 40+ when he’s against teams with not the best pass defense. If you can live with 15 points for the win, Stafford is your guy.

McCown should be a start for you if you are bottom 8 in the league and need a win against a better team. He’s a boom-or-bust player. I can see the skins doing a lot of 3-and-outs so expect plenty of opportunities to come TB’s way. If you need the 15+ points for a win, McCown is your guy.

Banned

I'd start Stafford, he's averaging 278 yrds a game

Dobber Sports Titan

I’d like to point out in my league McCown did better than Stafford. McCown 17.xx points, Stafford 0.32 points.

2014OlympicGold for the win.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I considered doing a hard delete on this thread.
    Pengwin fail... Pengwin fail.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    It’s a lot different projecting football than hockey. Hockey is play your best, never really read too much into the other team (ie. Buffalo vs Toronto, or Toronto vs Boston), because goals by your best player happen at random. Kessel could score 2 or none doesn’t matter who he plays.

In football, every QB vs a bad team is almost guaranteed 2 TDs. 2TDs almost mean 200yards minimum. So in most formats that’s like 14points right there, then you add in INT issues and such.

Stafford vs a great defense will through picks. No doubt. If he is down in a game, he’ll throw dumb tosses to megatron, and great defense will pick that off 4/10. A Pick in our league is -4 points I think. Good defensive coverage means the QB will hold the ball longer, raising the chance of a sack, and in our league that’s also -4 points.

Unless you have Payton, Rodgers, Brady, or Brees, there isn’t a QB in the league that I wouldn’t question starting when you have a middle QB against a terrible defense.

And at least you aren't these penguins.... (PS, crude but natural content)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...al-furore.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Disagree.

Fantasy football is about making the best decision based on available information. So much of it is luck that you have to make decisions based on "What is more likely to happen". Usually it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just because you can stand here today and say "McCown was a much better start than Stafford" doesn't mean that Saturday that statement was true. Stafford was the right start, things just didn't work out.

Anyone saying McCown would have been the better decision can also explain to me why they think Michael Floyd would have been a better start than Calvin Johnson this week. MOST LIKELY OUTCOME. That's all fantasy football is.