Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cory Schneider Starting Again Tonight....WHY?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Cory Schneider Starting Again Tonight....WHY?

As a Schneider owner, what the hell? Watching him play he clearly needs a rest. 3 of Boston's goals yesterday were stoppable plays and saves he should be making. Yes including the Griffith goal, good effort by him but it was not a good shot. Give him a night off.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Cory Schneider Starting Again Tonight....WHY?

They said they wanted him to be a workhorse, but he clearly needs a night off. He hasn't looked sharp for days
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm worried that this lack of rest is going to catch up with him and result in an injury. Give the guy a night off, jeez.
    Last edited by FinnishFlash; November 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Dobber Sports Deity

I touched base on this exact thing on my Axe to Grind column coming out tomorrow. What the hell is DeBoer thinking?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Shutout coming tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Sir View Post
    They said they wanted him to be a workhorse, but he clearly needs a night off. He hasn't looked sharp for days
    I totally understand the workhorse thing. They gave up a lot for him. But even most workhorses don't play both games of B2B, and even the best starters get a night off when their playing is showing they need a night off. Just ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Pro

1. Salvador is out so expect the quality of chances to go down

2. I think he has decent numbers in back-to-back situations (if someone knows a site for this that would be appreciated)

3. I want him to get rest too but he is a professional athlete so maybe he is fine. Hopefully he gets a rest soon though
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Ace

The guy is looking like he'll start 74 games this season... I just worry about injury in addition to fatigue. The comment DeBoer made about how you typically see goalie fatigue in later half of the season makes me believe they'll keep it up too.
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Star

I think the need for rest gets exaggerated a lot. These are professional athletes - I'm sure they can withstand 30 minutes of action and 30 minutes of hot standing 2 nights in a row. I can play sports back to back nights without a noticeable decline in performance, and I am far from the physical level of a pro athlete. I've never understood why the back to back thing gets talked about so much. Makes sense for endurance sports, but not hockey so much in my opinion. I'm sure a 100m runner could race on back to back days. That said, I wouldn't be opposed sitting him from time to time for other reasons. Probably going to get yelled at now...

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I think the need for rest gets exaggerated a lot. These are professional athletes - I'm sure they can withstand 30 minutes of action and 30 minutes of hot standing 2 nights in a row. I can play sports back to back nights without a noticeable decline in performance, and I am far from the physical level of a pro athlete. I've never understood why the back to back thing gets talked about so much. Makes sense for endurance sports, but not hockey so much in my opinion. I'm sure a 100m runner could race on back to back days. That said, I wouldn't be opposed sitting him from time to time for other reasons. Probably going to get yelled at now...
    I'm sure there's an article somewhere that examines the performance of a goalie in a B2B situation.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I'm sure there's an article somewhere that examines the performance of a goalie in a B2B situation.
    I know there is some evidence to show that sv% is historically better on the first night of back to backs, but I don't see any evidence that it's related to goalie fatigue. Could have more to do with scheduling for all I know. Any studies on strength of opponents on back-to-backs?

I agree that there seems to be benefits to not playing a goalie 2 days in a row, but I really don't believe it has much to do with the guy being too physically fatigued.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I know there is some evidence to show that sv% is historically better on the first night of back to backs, but I don't see any evidence that it's related to goalie fatigue. Could have more to do with scheduling for all I know. Any studies on strength of opponents on back-to-backs?

I agree that there seems to be benefits to not playing a goalie 2 days in a row, but I really don't believe it has much to do with the guy being too physically fatigued.
    The bigger issue is him playing 16/16 games to start the season. If your argument is "he should be able to handle that, he's a professional athlete", then why is he the only goalie to have done that? Why is it very rare that a goalie, even a stud workhorse, normally doesn't play more than 60-65 games a season? And truly not meaning to be offensive, but I highly doubt your physical activity involves the same level of exertion that professional athletes do. I would think if you started playing 3 games a week, every week, you'd start to notice it extremely quickly.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The bigger issue is him playing 16/16 games to start the season. If your argument is "he should be able to handle that, he's a professional athlete", then why is he the only goalie to have done that? Why is it very rare that a goalie, even a stud workhorse, normally doesn't play more than 60-65 games a season? And truly not meaning to be offensive, but I highly doubt your physical activity involves the same level of exertion that professional athletes do. I would think if you started playing 3 games a week, every week, you'd start to notice it extremely quickly.
    Asking "why is he the only goalie to have done that?" says nothing about whether or not physical fatigue plays a large role. I'm very aware starting goalies usually don't play more than 60-65 games in a season, but I think there are a number of reasons aside from fatigue to explain that trend...

I know it's a demanding position - I just don't see how starting 16/16 games is so much more damaging than starting 13/16.

Administrator

Easy to find split stats and other such data on Yahoo! player profiles. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/play...?season=career

Schneider in the sample size of a whole eight games is 3-2-3 when starting on zero days rest with 1.89 GAA and a 0.929 save percentage. If you want to take that to mean he's awesome in back-to-backs. Have at it. I'm going to suggest we need more data.

Here's an article studying the effect of goalies starting back-to-backs. http://www.nhl.com/ice/fr/news.htm?id=734508

There doesn't appear to be a huge effect but enough of one where you'd rather start your backup. More importantly, I think we can all agree that starting your goalie 70+ times isn't the best idea so back-to-backs offer a natural opportunity to get the backup in net. Apparently they disagree in New Jersey or they have zero faith in their backups.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look at those tonight.

Like I said, I agree that there is no reason to put a guy into all 82 games, but I don't think it's necessarily to stop him from tiring. You may want to give your backup some action, see if he can hack it if your #1 goes down, or shake your goalie out of a funk, among other things.

I think it's a gross simplification to blame his struggles this season on the fact that he's too tired and needs a day off. He's had plenty of days off.