Thread: Has this ever happened to you?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Has this ever happened to you?

Do you remember the story I told about the mom and 5 kids in need of a new house and some support to get stable? Maybe the attached picture will jog your memory.

So last week, the cremation and ceremony for Dad was held at home, to save money. During the ceremony, so many people crammed into the house that it completely collapsed. The family is now living in what used to be the chicken coop. It’s about 2 meters square. Honest - I am not making this up.

What’s the expression? If it weren’t for bad luck, the mom would have no luck at all. But she’s my hero – she got the 2 school going kids ready and off to the first day of the new school year today.

The good news? Even though the fundraising campaign hasn’t reached its target there is enough money to build Mom a house and the construction is going to start fairly quickly. So for those who have contributed, you too are heroes for caring enough to make sure this family is in a better place very soon. Thank you.

Anyone who wishes to contribute and become a part of this story can simply contact me either by pm or via email [email protected]
    Cheers all.

Inside the house.jpgBack of Ear's house.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

That's tough, man. And the mom is awesome.
    When the new house is rebuilt, no housewarming parties.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

LOL - going to happen for sure - Khmer tradition to bless the house in the finest of Buddhist traditions - but maybe she should only invite the skinny monks, huh?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good News - construction on the house the mom and her 5 kids are so badly in need of will begin tomorrow and will be finished in about 10 days. While the full goal of the project hasn't been met - there is enough to build the house and get the family sorted for a few months and that is just bloody marvelous. Thanks in large part to some very generous forum members here on Dobberhockey. Cheers to them!

Dobber Sports Stud

Can you post a link to your charity for those interested?
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Wolverine

Great news that the family is getting the help they need. Thanks for the update.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

So in a couple of days the family will move out of their chicken coop into their new home - they are so excited and Mom is so grateful for the gift so many bestowed upon them, especially a very generous contingent from Dobberhockey forums.

new home.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Why is the house so high off the ground? Is the area subject to flooding?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah, lots of flooding in this area over the years but their house isn't really in a regular flood zone - this is a traditional housing style here for a few other reasons - livestock is often protected under the house, the area under the house tends to serve as an additional living area, mostly for cooking. The elevated house also allows for cooler conditions due to air circulation, vermin are discouraged from entering the house when it is elevated like this and so on.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh yeah another quality improvement for them because they are off the grid is a solar lighting set-up.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Things move fast - finishing touches put on yesterday and the family moved in last night and it rained today. Nice timing, huh?

Ear's new house 2.JPG

Dobber Sports Master

That is a great story and it really puts things in perspective. I'm unhappy as I cannot afford the 3 bedroom house with the nice backyard and in a good area for less than $650k. These folks are happy with the basics. I'm not sure why I'm not... Thanks for sharing this story Rick.

Dobber Sports Ace

I like it! Simplicity is what I strive for and I would be happy with that, even if it is a tad smaller than my 425 square foot suite I currently live in. Even smaller when one considers that I live alone and this small house will support a family.

Not to nitpick Cambodian building standards......but how stable is it? Are the posts anchored to the concrete pillars with saddles?