Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hornqvist vs elite D

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Hornqvist vs elite D

Hi everyone,

I was approached by a GM willing to offer 1 of Weber, OEL, or Giordano for Hornqvist.
    It's a limited keeper league (was full keeper before), starting 12 F and 6 D. Categories are G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks.
    I really like Weber in this set up, but two things:
    1) I really think Hornqvist is elite in Pittsburgh, aka. James Neal
    2) I have a really good D group with guys like Karlsson, Phaneuf, E. Johnson, J. Johnson.

Would you keep Hornqvist and hope he is an 80 pt player (aka. James Neal)? Or would you sell high and get someone like Weber/OEL/Giordano? I have depth at D so that isn't a concern, and tend to favour forwards. My team is relatively competitive this year, which is also something to consider. Oh and it's a H2H league.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Hornqvist vs elite D

Set up your league details and your team as your signature. I would answer but I'd like to see your team first. Forwards that is..with 12 F, I might be inclined to keep Horny here.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Set up your league details and your team as your signature. I would answer but I'd like to see your team first. Forwards that is..with 12 F, I might be inclined to keep Horny here.
    Thanks. Sorry, I just figured out how to do it. My signature is updated. I didn't clarify in the original post - it's not a "full" keeper anymore. We are switching it to a limited keeper next year.
    H2H League, 12F, 6D, 2G
    Categories: G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, GAA, Sv%, Wins

F: Giroux, Benn, P. Kane, Sharp, Hornqvist, JVR, RNH, Voracek, Nash, Tarasenko, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Plekanec, Pearson, Jenner
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Faulk, Seidenberg, Vatanen, Stuart
    G: Bishop, Lehtonen, Luongo

Dobber Sports Veteran

That's actually an interesting trade. I was thinking of offering Weber for Hornqvist in my league with similar settings (though we do have positions like C, RW, LW, and also count +/- and SHP). I am still considering offering that to be honest. I think it would be a fair trade, but I feel that the hornqvist side is the "boom or bust" side. This could end up being a solid trade for both teams, but if Hornqvist ends up just being a 65 pt guy, then Weber is the vastly better own.

I definitely would not do it for the other D mentioned though, as good as they are. Weber is the one you want in your format. But yeah, interesting offer and I would really consider keeping Hornqvist, since your D keepers are good (Karlsson, Phaneuf, E. Johnson). I think with your league I'd rather keep Hornqvist over someone like Galchenyuk/Nyquist more than I would want Weber over E. Johnson, but it's a tough call. Again, Hornqvist is the riskier side. Hm... I guess all I can say is "this is really tough". Haha.

Banned

I wouldn't sell Hornqvist right now for any of them, his value is as high as it's going to get.

Right now Gio is overvalued (no way he keeps this pace)
    OEL and Weber are undervalued (in other words you should be able to get more)

Long term though I'd love to get Weber for him, i just think you can get more at this point especially because this GM came to you with the offer

Dobber Sports Superstar

Limited keeper, I would keep Horny. Your D is solid and so wouldn't be an upgrade.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd be inclined to move Horny for Weber after looking at your forwards. If I remember, didn't Weber have a slow start last year then exploded in the 2nd half?? Yes you might be able to squeeze more out of him or perhaps look to move horny + one of EJ/JJ for Weber + forward. Get a better D out of the deal and a replacement for horn.

tough call, I'm one who doesn't think horn. will slow down any time soon. The pens are just smoking right now....playing the sabres 2+ times doesn't hurt either lol

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Limited keeper, I would keep Horny. Your D is solid and so wouldn't be an upgrade.
    how limited are we talking here??? he has Giroux, voracek , benn, kane , tarasenko...

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think I'd go ahead and do it for Weber.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks. This was sort of my thinking. So as a keeper, you'd rather have hornqvist and E. Johnson over Weber + Nyquist (or other forward on my roster)?
    H2H League, 12F, 6D, 2G

F: Giroux, Benn, P. Kane, Sharp, Hornqvist, JVR, RNH, Voracek, Nash, Tarasenko, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Plekanec, Pearson, Jenner
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Faulk, Seidenberg, Vatanen, Stuart

Dobber Sports Novice

Looks like it is as close as I thought it would be. A bit of support for Hornq... a bit of support for Weber.
    H2H League, 12F, 6D, 2G

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by philly_fan View Post
    Looks like it is as close as I thought it would be. A bit of support for Hornq... a bit of support for Weber.
    F for D trades are never easy as they are very specific to the league and team (and you know your team/league better than any of us). What I like about Weber here is that in exchange for the points you're giving up you're getting a big boost in hits and blocks which is where dmen can thrive over forwards. Plus, Weber is as good as it gets for across-the-board offensive stats too.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

how limited are we talking here??? he has Giroux, voracek , benn, kane , tarasenko...
    I just hate to give up the guy riding shotgun to Crosby. May be biased as I have Horny in Keeper $ league - enjoying the ride.
    I do like Weber, but I think he may be able to find someone on WW for hits and BS.
    Good question - how many keepers now.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Novice

I just hate to give up the guy riding shotgun to Crosby. May be biased as I have Horny in Keeper $ league - enjoying the ride.
    I do like Weber, but I think he may be able to find someone on WW for hits and BS.
    Good question - how many keepers now.
    14 keepers, bolded ones in signature are my keepers.
    H2H League, 12F, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Sage

Not sure I would do that. Hornqvist could easily be your 3rd best F going forward. I think Sharp or Nash might be the big name guy you want to move to get a stud D. Your D doesn't look bad and I think you could get a useful upgrade without losing Horny who should be ridiculous in your format while sniping Crosby dimes.