Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Karlsson Rant

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Ultimate Karlsson Rant

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    If he didn't have his speed to bail him out on multiple occasions per game, he would be below average. That is how bad some of his mistakes are.
    I never get why people say it’s a bad thing that Karlsson uses his speed to get out of bad plays. It’s like saying Chara uses his reach to make up for his lack of speed while defending. I’m 6’7” and play defense and use my poke check like no one’s business. I do it because it works, I’m able to cheat and skate back a bit more in my zone than others because I have the reach to keep the forward back. I don’t have hands so I drive to the net more because my reach allows me to shield the puck better, and it bails me out of possible counter attacks if I decided to deke.

You use your talent to your advantage.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Based on Karlsson's early play this season, he won't even be in the voting - I agree. This hasn't been a good season so far for him. He's been fairly lazy coming back on defence on quite a few plays already. Karlsson leaves me wanting more on too many occasions.
    Once Karlsson was named Captain, I immediately assumed his production would drop by 8-12 points. What I'm seeing from him this year (and I watch every Sens game) is that he's trying to do way too much. But, he has been more nonchalant in his D coverage than ever before. Without Spezza as a focal point, the pressure falls directly on his shoulders (and Ryan and Turris to an extent) to carry the team. Chiasson has contributed pretty well offensively, but when Clarke MacArthur is tied as your team's scoring leader, you're not scaring anyone with your offensive firepower.

Karlsson will be fine though. He's still one of the most exciting and talented players on the planet. But there will be an adjustment period with him wearing the C and the Sens need to give him some more offensive toys to play with. I'd expect 63-70 points from him this year, but I don't expect him to break 70, unfortunately. Of course he can if he gets hot but I don't expect him to. It just seems like those explosive 3-4 point games are (and will be) missing this year. And those pad-stat games help catapult great point-getters into the next tier of production.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I never get why people say it’s a bad thing that Karlsson uses his speed to get out of bad plays. It’s like saying Chara uses his reach to make up for his lack of speed while defending. I’m 6’7” and play defense and use my poke check like no one’s business. I do it because it works, I’m able to cheat and skate back a bit more in my zone than others because I have the reach to keep the forward back. I don’t have hands so I drive to the net more because my reach allows me to shield the puck better, and it bails me out of possible counter attacks if I decided to deke.

Never said his speed was a bad thing and actually implied that it makes him serviceable as a Dman. That's a good thing.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    Corsi? Karlsson is shit at D, get over it.
    Well, he has great Corsi Relative, and he plays against some of the toughest opposition in the league. So, there's that. I wouldn't say he's crap at D.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    I agree, this is some of the silliest stuff I've read in weeks. Got a good chuckle lol.
    Says the guy who is calling Gaudreau the next St. Louis. **** off with the hypocrisy all of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Yes, Karlsson is a flat-out stud.

Yes, his production will take a dip this season (probably ~u70).

Yes, he is shaky in his own zone at times.

Yes, he is still the best defenseman to own in fantasy.

No, he will not win the Norris this year. Zero chance. He might not even finish in the Top 3-5 in votes.
    he was the Norris favourite. To suggest he has no chance is ridiculous. It's been 10 games.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post

**** off Doulos, you were supposed to be ignoring me.
    BaaahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    Hahahahaha.....hahaha....ha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Once Karlsson was named Captain, I immediately assumed his production would drop by 8-12 points. What I'm seeing from him this year (and I watch every Sens game) is that he's trying to do way too much. But, he has been more nonchalant in his D coverage than ever before. Without Spezza as a focal point, the pressure falls directly on his shoulders (and Ryan and Turris to an extent) to carry the team. Chiasson has contributed pretty well offensively, but when Clarke MacArthur is tied as your team's scoring leader, you're not scaring anyone with your offensive firepower.

Karlsson will be fine though. He's still one of the most exciting and talented players on the planet. But there will be an adjustment period with him wearing the C and the Sens need to give him some more offensive toys to play with. I'd expect 63-70 points from him this year, but I don't expect him to break 70, unfortunately. Of course he can if he gets hot but I don't expect him to. It just seems like those explosive 3-4 point games are (and will be) missing this year. And those pad-stat games help catapult great point-getters into the next tier of production.
    I've got news for you dude. Spezza was never a focal point for other teams. Karlsson has always been the guy they gameplan around. Nothing is new here. His points will come in spades. As for the bolded, see Claude Giroux last year.

Edit: Last year Karlsson had 8 points in his first 10 games. This year he has 8 points in his first 10 games. And he's shooting the puck more.

Banned

Now can everyone just get along? /rant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's a bad thing because speed declines. Both due to serious injuries (hmmm achilles) and age. Size/reach is constant, you don't shrink (well, you do, but not over the course of your playing career), but if you are able to make plays because your speed allows, then you are in trouble when you start losing that speed. Every coach wuld prefer to have a guy that doesn't make those mistakes, rather than a guy that con cover up his mistakes because he's fast enough to.

Dobber Sports Titan

I always hear the term speed can’t be taught. I think at a young age (24) a coach would rather have him, then a solid defender. I’m not saying Karlsson is a shutdown defending, but compared to when he got into the league he has gotten a lot better.

I’d be curious to see him on a team that’s not always down a goalie, or is constantly trying to push the offense. When he played for Sweden he didn’t have to force plays or take on too much, but in Ottawa he does. But in the Olympics, still put up 8pts in 6games, but played very well defensively. He’s also has an average TOI of like 27minutes, if he lost a step, a coach would lower it to 22-25 and Karlsson would still be effective.

Fantasy wise, I’ll take him on my team any day. Real life wise, I’d want him paired with a responsible defender, but I’d still want him on my team. There’s a lot of stay at home defenders, there isn’t a lot of potential 70pt defenders.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I always hear the term speed can’t be taught. I think at a young age (24) a coach would rather have him, then a solid defender. I’m not saying Karlsson is a shutdown defending, but compared to when he got into the league he has gotten a lot better.

I’d be curious to see him on a team that’s not always down a goalie, or is constantly trying to push the offense. When he played for Sweden he didn’t have to force plays or take on too much, but in Ottawa he does. But in the Olympics, still put up 8pts in 6games, but played very well defensively. He’s also has an average TOI of like 27minutes, if he lost a step, a coach would lower it to 22-25 and Karlsson would still be effective.

Fantasy wise, I’ll take him on my team any day. Real life wise, I’d want him paired with a responsible defender, but I’d still want him on my team. There’s a lot of stay at home defenders, there isn’t a lot of potential 70pt defenders.
    You're missing the argument. If Karlsson was better defensively where he didn't have to make up for his mistakes using his speed, he would be a much better player. It's not an issue of Karlsson vs. Roman Josi. Ya, you're going to take Karlsson every time. A coach would rather have Karlsson who could play defense as well as Josi PLUS all of the other stuff only Karlsson can do over this current version of Karlsson. You also have to remember we're comparing the best of the best, and I seriously doubt a coach would take Karlsson over Weber, Doughty, Keith, and probably wouldn't over guys like Hedman, Suter. So that's like 5 guys. From there, Karlsson groups into a toss up of players like Subban, Giordano, Vlasic, Kronwall, Pietrangelo, Chara, McDonagh, OEL who are all elite and all do different things.

If you want to argue that Karlsson is not elite, you're not looking at him objectively. If you want to argue that Karlsson is THE MOST elite, you're also probably not looking at him objectively.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I've got news for you dude. Spezza was never a focal point for other teams. Karlsson has always been the guy they gameplan around. Nothing is new here. His points will come in spades. As for the bolded, see Claude Giroux last year.

Edit: Last year Karlsson had 8 points in his first 10 games. This year he has 8 points in his first 10 games. And he's shooting the puck more.
    Karlsson has been the "focal point" over the last few years, I agree completely with that. But Spezza was a legit scoring threat when he had the puck and the opposition needed to account for him. He also had good enough hands to finish some of the great plays Karlsson sets up. As soft as Spezza was, let's not forget that offensively, he accounted for 70-80 points depending on how many GP. That's a good chunk of offense missing. I think the Sens are a better "team" without Spezza, don't get me wrong. I just think they are going to take a hit offensively and I peg Karlsson for about 67 points this year, which will still lead the league.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Sophomore

7 pages of vitriol and not one moderator locked this thread??

Immaturity kills forums...
    16 Team H2H - 1 Win per week league
    G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, Hits, Bks, GAA, Sv, Sv%, W, SHO

C - Koivu, Granlund, Duchene, Soderberg
    LW - Landeskog, E. Kane, Rinaldo, JVR
    RW - Kessel, Atkinson, Iginla, MacKinnon
    D - E. Johnson, Trouba, S. Jones, Barrie, Gardiner,
    G - Varlamov, Bernier, Reimer
    B - Clarkson, Nash (Car)
    IR - Krug
    Farm - Nylander, Lazar, Ehlers, Bleakely

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No, overly itchy triggerfingers on mods kill forums. You think this is vitriol?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    You think this is vitriol?
    I wouldn't of typed it if i didn't think so...
    16 Team H2H - 1 Win per week league
    G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, Hits, Bks, GAA, Sv, Sv%, W, SHO

C - Koivu, Granlund, Duchene, Soderberg
    LW - Landeskog, E. Kane, Rinaldo, JVR
    RW - Kessel, Atkinson, Iginla, MacKinnon
    D - E. Johnson, Trouba, S. Jones, Barrie, Gardiner,
    G - Varlamov, Bernier, Reimer
    B - Clarkson, Nash (Car)
    IR - Krug
    Farm - Nylander, Lazar, Ehlers, Bleakely