Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Radulov leaving for Russia? What is this garbage?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Radulov leaving for Russia? What is this garbage?

I know most here won\'t believe it until they see it on TSN...but he\'s gone...move on.

Dobber Sports Expert

I think we need to see it from more than one source - then people will be more likely to believe.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hate to say it but looks like a done deal...here an article from puck daddy....i think im gonna be sick

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 10:04 am EDT

Why Nashville\'s Alexander Radulov defected back to Russia
    By Greg Wyshynski
    To say the timing seemed curious wouldn\'t be a stretch. The NHL and the Russian Continental Hockey League come together on a \"you won\'t poach our players under contract, and we won\'t poach yours\" handshake agreement, just as Nashville Predators winger Alexander Radulov decides to head back to Russia to play for Salavat Ulaef in the CHL -- despite still having one year left on his contract with the Predators.

But his agent Yuri Nikolaev told Sovetsky Sport in Russia that \"Radulov signed his contract with Salavat two days before Medvedev and the NHL in Zurich agreed to respect each other\'s contracts. To be honest, Sasha [Radulov] was not even aware of such meeting taking place.\"

Alrighty. Radulov was an enigma wrapped in a riddle with a Hobbit\'s face, but he was also a 26-goal scorer at 22 years old. He said he told the Predators he wanted to play in Russia, and that \"some Russian clubs were offering me much better conditions than I had in Nashville.\" Nashville management said they\'d call him, but never did. Radulov was unsure if they thought he was bluffing. Apparently, he wasn\'t.

Puck Daddy\'s official hockey comrade Dmitry Chesnokov provides a translation from an interview that will appear in tomorrow\'s Sovetsky Sport in Russia. Here are some choice selections from Radulov\'s talk with Sov Sports\' Pavel Lysenkov, who figures that Radulov will make \"no less than $3 million per year\" with his new club after making $980,000 for Nashville:

Were you expecting a new contract offer from Nashville?

\"Yes. By the way, I informed the management of the Predators that I had good offers in Russia. My contract with the Predators is valid for another year. But I wanted some certainty now. For example, Malkin in Pittsburgh had his contract extended a year before the previous one was set to expire.

Actually, I had been considering returning to Russia for quite some time. I just couldn\'t make the decision. And when the Ufa [Salavat Ulaef] club offered me this contract I realized that this was it. And my parents also supported my decision.\"

But maybe you will never be asked to return to the NHL.

\"I think that if I play well I will be taken back without any questions. I will be 25. And also, who knows what will happen in 3 years? Maybe our KHL will be so good that there will be no reason to leave?

By the way, you might remember the incident with Alexander Semin? He had an active contract with Washington, but Sasha [Semin] decided to stay in Russia for another year. He was disqualified. But now Semin is playing for the Capitals without any problems.\"

By the way, does your contract contain a term that would allow you to leave for the NHL?

\"There is no such term. This is a full contract for three years.\"

How do you feel that your contract with Salavat was signed now that Alexander Medvedev and Bill Daly signed an agreement to respect each other\'s contracts?

\"Yeah, right. And Nikita Filatov signed with Columbus at the same time.\"

They say that Filatov did not have a contract with CSKA Moscow, that he was fired from the club.

\"But he still had certain responsibilities [the club owns his rights]. And he left for the States.\"

And what if Medvedev says: \"I do not allow Radulov to play in the KHL!\" What then?

\"I would be very upset. Yes, anything is possible. But I am trying not to think about it. I need to get ready for the season. I was planning to start training with Evgeni Malkin and Sergei Gonchar in St. Petersburg on July 16. But now I have to go to Ufa for Salavat\'s training camp.\"

Lately there were quite a few good players who left North America for Russia. Is it possible that in, let\'s say, 5 years there will be absolutely no Russians in the NHL?

\"You see it for yourself that hockey in Russia is blossoming. A lot of money is being invested in the game. We start to see the result like the win in Quebec. I don\'t know what\'s going to happen with the NHL. But I hope that KHL is going to be awesome.\"

What would you like to tell Nashville fans?

\"Thank you very much! It was such a pleasure playing for the Predators in the last two years. There is no one to blame for what has happened. But it happened that our paths have separated. I am going to play in Russia now. No one knows what the future will hold. And I wish the Predators to win the Stanley Cup!\"

Yeah, they\'ll get right on that.

I\'m sure Radulov will be a huge star in the new Russian League; with the shallow talent pool and the mediocre goaltending, he\'ll likely reach the levels of offensive creativity he couldn\'t find while facing the world\'s best players.

Snark aside, this is really the only danger the NHL faced from the CHL: Young Russian player who hadn\'t reached the stardom they feel they deserve in North America, being headhunted with extravagant money to return home for three years. And the NHL all but shut that door yesterday with its new agreement, because now young Russian players like Radulov will have to choose between their next big contract in the NHL and a big contract in the CHL, rather than between the last year of an entry level deal and CHL millions.

Like I said yesterday: The CHL isn\'t the threat some make it out to be. Radulov\'s defection is a nuisance. A dozen more like him would have been a headache. But the NHL would have never let it get to that point. You really don\'t want to see Gary Bettman put the screws to a 22-year-old Russian kid. Because he will.

UPDATE (10:28 a.m. EDT): This is a rather large Q&A with Nashville GM David Poile to not have Radulov\'s name come up at least once. Curious.
    12 team yahoo h2h (standard scorin) dynasty

c- j toews/j carter/n backstrom/j tavaras
    lw- a ovechkin/d sedin/t vanek
    rw- j pominville/j voracek/a hemsky/p kessel
    d-s weber/ a goligoski
    g- r miller/s mason/s varlamov/m nuevirth

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

PrairieFire wrote:
    I know most here won\'t believe it until they see it on TSN...but he\'s gone...move on.
    Since I don\'t have him on my team, I\'m not really affected by this, but it\'s still interesting to follow. I don\'t really care what new source is presented, but I want something more than just that Sport Express source that everyone are referencing so far. Preferably I would like to see a North American source. The more perspective we get, the better.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Stud

Oh ya.

Articles from writers making impressions from the one russian site do not count as validation.

We are all waiting for word from the NHL or the Predators and for this to show on a reliable site; tsn or espn (same thing).
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Ace

So reading all of the articles that have been posted, boy he gave a lot of interviews in the last couple of weeks, it seems he is not happy with NSH and the fact they have not given him a new contract yet but Malkin(!) has been given one a year early.

Well your certainly not Malkin so you better stop those comparisons for starters but it does kind of explain your opinion of yourself.

Now if NSH trades him to a team that will offer top 6 mins would he stay in the NHL???
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Guru

nice work fzusher!

obvously i am one of the few who see the silver lining in all this. poile will not let him slip away for nothing, and he is obligated to stay for another year. either he will be traded or resigned, and in either case, he will get a ton more icetime and be shown that his team really needs him. a big year is in the cards, as long as his immaturity doesn\'t get in the way.

i am hoping that the rads owner in one of my leagues is reading all these rumours, and i\'m making a pitch for him today.

Super Moderator

We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Expert

smack1919 wrote:
    it\'s not a confirmation...it\'s a repetition using the same source as every other story, with no comment from the nhl or the preds.

Dobber Sports Ace

According to what I read, Radulov\'s agent is Jay Grossman, head of PuckAgency with whom LLCis International Management Group, one of the biggest player representation company in the world filed a complaint against alongside the NHLPA in 2004
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1799523

Things that make you go hummmmm...
    My keeper squad on this 10 team, no positional requirement league (except 1 goalie and 1 NHL team). Points only: Parise, Kopitar, Hemsky, Brunette, J Staal, Okposo, Doan, Roy, O.Jokinen, Giroux, Krejci, Oshie, Eberle, Little, Filpulla, Steen, Filatov, Hudler, H.Lundqvist, + NHL Team LA.

Dobber Sports Guru

interesting stuff about his agent. sure seems like the guy has little in the way of moral consititution. that\'s ok, that means that he\'s real greedy and he\'ll push his client to accept the best money deal he can get. which will be in the NHL, eventually.

Banned

great work fzusher, thanx!

His sentiment seems clear, he loved playing junior in a hockey crazed environment nut unlike his homeland but now he\'s stuck in a cow poke city that has no business with an NHL franchise in the first place, its no wonder he\'s frustrated and wants to go back to Russia

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Makes you wonder if Balsillie was allowed to buy the Preds and move them to Canada if Radulov would have stayed.

Bettman ruins the NHL again!

Dobber Sports Guru

narduch wrote:
    Makes you wonder if Balsillie was allowed to buy the Preds and move them to Canada if Radulov would have stayed.

Bettman ruins the NHL again!
    i was gonna post the same thing!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Potential good news from the Nashville Predators site

Preds, NHL Issue Statements Regarding Reports on Alexander Radulov (Jul 11, 2008, 3:58 PM EDT)

Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement regarding reports that Alexander Radulov has signed a contract to play in Russia...

\"Alex is under contract with the Nashville Predators through the 2008-09 season. We are looking forward to him being here for training camp and being a part of this franchise\'s success for years to come.\"

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daley issued the following statement in response to questions regarding the Alexander Radulov reports...

\"It is our understanding, based on the representations made both at our meeting yesterday, but also at an earlier meeting with Mr. Medvedev in May, that the Russian League will not allow a player to play in violation of his contractual obligations in the NHL.\"