Thread: OK TO proceed with Bortles and Bridgewater?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default OK TO proceed with Bortles and Bridgewater?

Started the season with RG3 (Best avail at the time) and Newton.

Was able to nab Derek Carr early who's been my #2 since RG3 went out.

Was also quick on the draw and nabbed both Bortles and Bridgewater prior to last weeks games and before they where both named starters. I have little faith in Carr and was about to drop RG3, but there is a GM who's been coming at me for Carr twice now and he's dealing with Bye week woes, so... thinking to exploit that.

My offer...

My Carr, Bush and Bell (2 headed monster serves me no purpose if I don't know who to start)
    for his
    Roddy White and Fitgerald and Sherman(likely throw away for me)

That would leave me with:

QB = Newton, Bridgewater, Bortles, (RG3 - on the bench)
    WR = Cobb, White, Crabtree, Fitzgerald (V Jackson, Randle and Welker...just picked up off waviers on the bench)
    RB = Lynch, Brown and Gore(just picked up off waivers)
    TE = Graham
    K = Bailey

I have depth at RB and at what point will I start Bush or Bell over Lynch, Gore and even Brown right now?
    And with Jackson and Welker..as injury prone as they are... White and Fitz are nice insurance.

Thoughts? I think he will bite at this.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: OK TO proceed with Bortles and Bridgewater?

I've got no issues at all rolling with Bortles or Bridgewater as your QB2 (I'm doing so in two leagues, and certainly like them better than Carr). But I wouldn't be all that keen on flipping two sure-fire RB3s (and viable RB2s, even) for two solid but unspectacular WRs, particularly given the nice depth you already have there.

If the other owner is really after Carr, maybe you can start with a lesser offer that seeks to capitalize on "what's fresh" in the minds of fantasy GMs? Something like Carr and Randle for White. With room to give to go to Carr and Welker for White (or even your least favorite of Bridgewater/Bortles and Randle/Welker) if he pushes back.

That's probably how I'd look to go about it anyhow.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    I've got no issues at all rolling with Bortles or Bridgewater as your QB2 (I'm doing so in two leagues, and certainly like them better than Carr). But I wouldn't be all that keen on flipping two sure-fire RB3s (and viable RB2s, even) for two solid but unspectacular WRs, particularly given the nice depth you already have there.

If the other owner is really after Carr, maybe you can start with a lesser offer that seeks to capitalize on "what's fresh" in the minds of fantasy GMs? Something like Carr and Randle for White. With room to give to go to Carr and Welker for White (or even your least favorite of Bridgewater/Bortles and Randle/Welker) if he pushes back.

That's probably how I'd look to go about it anyhow.
    Great feed back.. Thanks.

My issue for Bush/Bell is that you never really know which one to start and neither is projected ever higher than Lynch, Gore or now Brown as the #1 guy in SanD. So when would I play either. They're really only depth players at this point. That's why I felt them to be expendable as I only start 2 RB's and no flex. So you really value those 2 over the other guys I have? Or which one finally breaks free of the equal time share?

Tks!

Dobber Sports Veteran

The thing with RBs is that I think they're all fairly characterized as injury prone, at least compared to other positions (it's just the nature of the game and the pounding RBs take). Because of that, in my view, it's the position where sufficient roster depth is most essential.

I agree that J. Bell and Bush have been frustrating so far this season, but if one of them misses time with injury then the other would become an automatic top 12-15 RB play. This week, given Lynch's bye, I think your two RB plays are Brown and Gore because their match ups are much better than the Lions RBs against the Jets tough run defense.

But long-term, Brown's value is very touch and go. His value comes from workload volume -- he's not talented enough to be an every week play regardless of match up -- and he's far from guaranteed to get sufficient volume over the long haul. Trying to look ahead a little, Brown has a great match up this weekend (against JAX) and in Week 6 (against OAK). But he's got a brutal match up in Week 5 (against the Jets), whereas Gore has a decent matchup that week against the Chiefs. Then, starting in Week 7, Ryan Matthews may well be back in the fold cutting into Brown's volume/value, while Gore faces a difficult match up at Denver and the Lions RBs have a decent match up against the Saints. And none of this takes into account the possibility that one or more of your RBs could suffer an injury along the way and leave you searching for legitimate options to start at the position.

In any event, just a long winded way of saying that I'd be hesitant to sacrifice too much of your RB depth just to add even more depth to an already fairly deep WR corps, even though Brown and Gore (and Lynch, obviously) are better options than Bell or Bush in the short term.

Just my two cents ... Cheers!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great analysis. Thanks man.