Thread: Trade Idea: Niemi for C. Anderson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade Idea: Niemi for C. Anderson

I have a problem.

I am really worried about Antti Niemi's status going into the season. Right now, I have no shot of landing Alex Stalock, who is a prospect with our league rules, and I might be stuck with a goalie who is not going to be the starter.

So here's my idea:

Trade Antti Niemi for Craig Anderson

You're probably thinking, "wow, that's a dumb move," but hear me out! If I trade for Anderson, I DO have the chance to draft Robin Lehner. With Lehner on board, I will have Anderson's handcuff and a fail-proof starting goalie duo and I won't have to worry about losing any starts.

So is this something I should continue to pursue or is this a bad idea?

All my categories are in my SIG (which has a link to my team page) if you need a reference.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trade Idea: Niemi for C. Anderson

I have a problem.

I am really worried about Antti Niemi's status going into the season. Right now, I have no shot of landing Alex Stalock, who is a prospect with our league rules, and I might be stuck with a goalie who is not going to be the starter.

So here's my idea:

Trade Antti Niemi for Craig Anderson

You're probably thinking, "wow, that's a dumb move," but hear me out! If I trade for Anderson, I DO have the chance to draft Robin Lehner. With Lehner on board, I will have Anderson's handcuff and a fail-proof starting goalie duo and I won't have to worry about losing any starts.

So is this something I should continue to pursue or is this a bad idea?

All my categories are in my SIG (which has a link to my team page) if you need a reference.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Trade Idea: Niemi for C. Anderson

i'm not quite understanding how trading for anderson gives you a chance at drafting lehner...does keeping niemi prevent you from getting him? i think a lot of people are making a mistake and panicking, this reminds me of the quick/bernier situation a while ago...stalock has proven nothing and niemi has won a cup. the playoff meltdown was far from his fault, the kings just went on beastmode and the sharks weren't as hungry after being up 3-0. keep niemi...at worse, he will be a starting goalie elsewhere, and chances are that team will still be better than the sens.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'm not quite understanding how trading for anderson gives you a chance at drafting lehner...does keeping niemi prevent you from getting him? i think a lot of people are making a mistake and panicking, this reminds me of the quick/bernier situation a while ago...stalock has proven nothing and niemi has won a cup. the playoff meltdown was far from his fault, the kings just went on beastmode and the sharks weren't as hungry after being up 3-0. keep niemi...at worse, he will be a starting goalie elsewhere, and chances are that team will still be better than the sens.
    Lehner isn't a prospect in our league (we have two drafts: 1. regular 3-round draft 2. 5-round prospect draft) and Stalock is a prospect. I have the 5th overall pick in the regular draft whereas I don't own a 1st rounder in the prospect draft. Hence why I'd be able to get Lehner and not Stalock.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think you're trading at a low point. Worst case scenario is that he loses the starting gig and rides the pine for the rest of the year. But that's the value you'll be getting for him now anyway. Everyone's been panicking on the guy so much that there's really no point moving him no because you're not getting any value back. I guess if you really think Anderson will have a big year then go for it but I'm not seeing why his situation is any better, really.

Dobber Sports Master

I think the Niemi sucks talk is overhyped. He has won a Stanley Cup. He isn't the reason why the Kings came back last year. He will play out his contract or get traded to another team where he will be the starter anyways.i have him on my roster and I am not just going to give him away.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow... Only a shooting star falls faster than Niemi's stock. Quick...make a wish.

And does that wish come true? Nope 100% mythical. Just as Mythical as Neimi's demise. If you own Niemi, you have no choice but to ride out this storm IMO. His value is at an unjustified low right now. JUST MY TAKE ON HIM.

I would suggest taking a breath... Then keep Niemi and still draft Lehner.

Dobber Sports Sage

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

No.

I would rather have Niemi in any format. Stalock might steal 30 starts but Andy is on a crap team and has Lehner nipping at his heels in what should end up as a straight timeshare.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

No.

I would rather have Niemi in any format. Stalock might steal 30 starts but Andy is on a crap team and has Lehner nipping at his heels in what should end up as a straight timeshare.
    Or what he said.

Keep calm and Niemi on.....

Dobber Sports Icon

The best part of the off-season almost being over is that player's values should return to normal in the not too distant future. Let's just break down your thought process a little bit.

1) You are worried that Niemi loses some starts to Alex Stalock. This is understandable because a lot of people feel this way even though I do not.
    2) You know you are unable to acquire Alex Stalock.
    3) You see that the back up goaltender for a likely lottery pick team in Ottawa could be acquired in the draft. Lehner is available regardless of if you have Niemi or Anderson on your team.
    4) You want to trade a starter on a great team for the starter on the bad team so you can have both goalies from that bad team.

Just stick with Niemi. If you think Lehner is the best available player at some point in the draft then pick him up. You can then likely move Lehner for Stalock which would give you the goaltending tandem on the team that was 8th, 6th and 5th in Goals Against in the past 3 seasons. Ottawa was 24th, 2nd (lockout season), 27th in goals against the past 3 seasons.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Wow... Only a shooting star falls faster than Niemi's stock. Quick...make a wish.

And does that wish come true? Nope 100% mythical. Just as Mythical as Neimi's demise. If you own Niemi, you have no choice but to ride out this storm IMO. His value is at an unjustified low right now. JUST MY TAKE ON HIM.

I would suggest taking a breath... Then keep Niemi and still draft Lehner.
    Goalies are the biggest point getters in our league. So you suggest keeping Niemi and still going after Lehner?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So...

Keep calm and Niemi on!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    So...

Keep calm and Niemi on!
    I think Anderson bounces back this year, but I still prefer Niemi to Anderson.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think Anderson bounces back this year, but I still prefer Niemi to Anderson.
    I agree with Axeman (I almost always do). Anderson is due for a bounce back, just like Smith. But keep Niemi.
    10 teams Keeper league, ROTO, no Cap Hit. 27 players, keep 23.
    Roster Positions: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 2F, 5D, Util, 2G, 10IR+

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, PPA, SOG, Hits
    G Stat Categories: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion.

C : Backstrom, Tavares, Nelson, Nielsen, Bonino
    LW : Ovechkin, Giroux, Steen, J.Bailey, Killorn
    RW : Malkin, Stamkos, Jaskin, Voracek, Seguin, Okposo
    D : Weber, Hedman, Karlsson, Yandle, Hamonic, Severson, DeAngelo
    G : Rinne, MAF, Anderson
    IR :E.Kane, B.Connolly, Buff

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    This
    Head to head. Keeper league. PTS ONLY. 12 team

8F: Stamkos, Giroux, Kopitar, P. Kane, Eberle, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Sharp
    Bench: Gaborik, Spezza, Boedker, Little, Maroon

4D: Letang, Shattenkirk, Hedman, Doughty

Bench: Sekera, Schultz

2G: Rask, F. Andersen

Bench: Miller, Raanta