Thread: Leafs Blog: I apply for the Job of Assistant GM

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Leafs Blog: I apply for the Job of Assistant GM

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Leafs Blog: I apply for the Job of Assistant GM

Quote Originally Posted by James_tanner123 View Post
    It's a good try but I stopped reading after the first sentence in which you spelled Jonathan Bernier wrong.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't want to be too harsh, but this article needs so much editing that it's not even funny.

"they can’t, won’t, will not compete"

You know that "won't" is a contraction of "will not", right?

BraydEn Schenn, calendAr, Percy, "the juries still out", PhilAdelphia, whose instead of who's, both its' and it's instead of the correct its, numerous punctuation errors (don't use semicolons if you're not 100% sure of how to use them), Jonathan Drouin. Those were the most glaring to me. I could go over that one, re-writing it for 30 minutes, but that goes for most THW "articles".

You like writing. That much is obvious. You have a good writing voice, but you need to get sharper. You need to start re-reading your work two and three times before you post it. Hone your craft and make sure you're not publishing stuff with VERY basic errors that are VERY easy to catch and fix.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

To be honest, I think all of the moves you propose and the trade scenario is 100% illogical. Trading draft picks is what landed the Leafs into some trouble as it is. The Kessel-Seguin saga will never end in terms of discussion/debate and it's still aways off from determining if there's a clear-cut winner, but it must sting quite badly to see Seguin outscore Kessel last season. Dougie Hamilton hasn't developed into a Norris-worthy guy, but I'd say the Bruins have a pretty good two-way defender in him. Almost certainly a top-four guy, if not a top-pairing defenceman.

Trading away picks before the season starts is beyond risky - it's foolish. You don't hear of a lotta teams doing so, likely for the reason that uncertainty abounds before the season begins. While it's not very likely, a contender like the Kings/Blackhawks/Ducks could suffer some very untimely injuries, or be uncertain about the contractual status of a key player (Johansen in Columbus). All of those teams enjoy a lot of depth and if a Brown or Sharp or Kesler went down, they have other guys to help carry the load. If Kessel gets injured, what then? The Leafs are far too one-dimensional a team to be shipping off valuable picks just for a Hail Mary trade that gets you an upgrade at centre.

Shortsightedness has been the problem for a very long time now. Instead of rebuilding through the draft as the elite teams in the league have done, Burke threw caution to the wind and got all stupid in dealing away the future for a one asset. Claiming to be "impatient" as a GM in any sport makes certain that you won't tolerate losing, but it also can be detrimental to your team if you're too impatient and make a dumb move.

As far as your proposed trade of Lupul + Franson + 1st rounder for ????, I can't see there being many suitors at all. Lupul is injury-prone - that simply cannot be denied. Knee surgery, groin problems, shoulder separation, back surgery and a ton of concussions generally makes a player less valuable as they become older. He hasn't played more than 69 games since 2008, which was before his serious back surgery, shoulder separation, groin problems and more concussions. Burke stole him from the Ducks at the time of acquisition, but considering Lupul's health, I highly doubt many GMs are willing to acquire him.

Franson is signed for this season and then becomes a UFA. No guarantees that he re-signs with your team and he's been inconsisten regardless. He's not considered much as a potential rental for one season.

The first rounder easily holds the most value, but again, do the Leafs really want to start trading picks again, just for a short-term solution...? The draft isn't just centred on McDavid and Eichel - it's considered a far-deeper draft to this past summer's with a lot of high-end prospects.

If the Leafs were to seriously acquire a Drouin or Barkov or Johansen, they're probably looking at packaging their own 2015 first-rounder with one of Rielly/Nylander to get a good, young centreman. Sounds atrocious, but potentially-elite forwards are obviously always in high demand. Teams are well-aware that the Leafs need a significant upgrade at centre, so I could see Nonis having his feet held to the fire to get what he wants.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My favorite was when he compared Strome, RyJo, Barkov, Girgensons, Drouin, and Schenn as all the same caliber of player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I don't want to be too harsh, but this article needs so much editing that it's not even funny.

"they can’t, won’t, will not compete"

You know that "won't" is a contraction of "will not", right?

BraydEn Schenn, calendAr, Percy, "the juries still out", PhilAdelphia, whose instead of who's, both its' and it's instead of the correct its, numerous punctuation errors (don't use semicolons if you're not 100% sure of how to use them), Jonathan Drouin. Those were the most glaring to me. I could go over that one, re-writing it for 30 minutes, but that goes for most THW "articles".

You like writing. That much is obvious. You have a good writing voice, but you need to get sharper. You need to start re-reading your work two and three times before you post it. Hone your craft and make sure you're not publishing stuff with VERY basic errors that are VERY easy to catch and fix.

Honestly, thanks for the heads up. I rushed this piece out before I had to go to work, and it showed. I shouldn't have done that. I thank you, seriously and not sarcastically, for the help. I probably wouldn't have ever gone back over it if you didn't point all this stuff out. Normally I would catch most of that stuff, but like I said, I rushed, which, in retrospect was a poor choice. Hopefully you won't hold it against me.

Anyways, thanks and I fixed everything. I think. haha.

-Jimmy