Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: John Klingberg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: John Klingberg

Don't worry. Klingberg will be back because ruff changes his lines like he changes underwear.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Ya golig is sitting on my WW just staring at me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Don't worry. Klingberg will be back because ruff changes his lines like he changes underwear.
    Always has..which is why I trust none of them.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Did people honestly think he'd sustain his pace? Yeesh. He wasn't even taking a lot of shots in recent games. I think it's just as comical that people are writing him off now that he's "slumping" a little bit as a ROOKIE DMAN by not scoring every game, as the people who say he's Karlsson West. For those who jump off the bandwagon, I'm guessing you didn't actually believe in him in the first place but wanted the points, and those that are still on it, I'm sure you have seen him play and recognize his potential, even if he has a few bumps on the way. The expectations for this kid have gotten so ridiculous that people are "giving up" on him because he has a few off nights.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, Hertl
    LW - DeBrincat, Boldy, Lafreniere
    RW - Meier, Miller, Boeser, Nichushkin
    D - Dobson, Karlsson
    G - Jarry, Luukkonen

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Did people honestly think he'd sustain his pace? Yeesh. He wasn't even taking a lot of shots in recent games. I think it's just as comical that people are writing him off now that he's "slumping" a little bit as a ROOKIE DMAN by not scoring every game, as the people who say he's Karlsson West. For those who jump off the bandwagon, I'm guessing you didn't actually believe in him in the first place but wanted the points, and those that are still on it, I'm sure you have seen him play and recognize his potential, even if he has a few bumps on the way. The expectations for this kid have gotten so ridiculous that people are "giving up" on him because he has a few off nights.
    Yeah I agree with this. I'm high on Kling and I've made it clear I am but the expectations in this thread ballooned up crazily.
    ------------OLD------------
    15 Team Yahoo Rotisserie (1YR)
    Max Games Played
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 4BN
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux, Stastny, Fisher
    LW: Benn, Hall, Lucic, Hartnell
    RW: Stamkos, Hossa, Stafford
    D: Karlsson, Byfuglien, Brodie, Borowiecki, Pouliot
    G: Elliott, Allen, Dubnyk, Stalock
    IR: P. Kane

Notable Trades:
    Khudobin -> Hartnell (Oct 12)
    Ehrhoff -> Lupul (Nov 12)
    Greiss -> Hossa (Nov 21)
    Forsberg, Kucherov, Stalock -> Stamkos (Dec 20)
    Varlamov -> Lucic (Jan 20)
    E. Staal -> Byfuglien (Jan 20)
    Halak, Perreault -> Benn (Feb 10)

Dobber Sports Deity

As I said earlier, flavor of the week. Wait for it, there's another one coming down the aisle before long.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As I said earlier, flavor of the week. Wait for it, there's another one coming down the aisle before long.
    I agree the euphoria got out of hand, i think you will find a post from me after his two point nite, when one was the goal from centre ice and the other was a stretch pass to i think Seguin, that he cld have so easily had a goose egg that nite and the hype wouldn't have come close to reaching that crescendo. Having said that, the rave reviews from non-fantasy geeks (i recall the Oilers colour man raving about this kid's poise) suggested this was more than a flavour of the week, and indeed maybe he is legit but perhaps Ruff made a bad call the other nite. Maybe no one should draft a d-man coached by Ruff. Kling's 13-minute nite came after Stars blown out by a far better team, the wings, he played more than 20 minutes, had a season high four shots, and was minus one. Daley and Goli also minus one, demers - 2, they all got roughly the same amount of ice time and slightly more on pp. Maybe he took blame for loss, or PP woes, or he did or said something stupid that pissed Ruff off. Or maybe Ruff flipped a coin. Now he's being written off because...what?...Goli makes a basic pass on first pp goal that Seguin sets up and suddenly Goli's reason PP is clicking? Such a fickle game. Check out quote under my signature for my view on all this second-guessing. Yeah, we aren't supposed to trust rookie d-men but he is 22, not 18, has good pedigree, dominates ahl, and a veteran coach immediately gives him 24-plus minutes a night and puts him on pp#1 over 3 veterans. If anyone's saying we're fickle or dumb for picking him up they're saying the same thing about a veteran coach respected around the league.
    Back in the day when all we had to go by were box scores in newspapers, not toi or analytics data or sites like this one, I picked up a kid named Zubov because he was averaging over a point a game in late October for Wings. Got him just b4 my arch-rival and league perennial winner was planning to take him, and he cursed me all year as i won thanks largely to a rookie waiver wire d-man no one had ever heard of who scored 89 points. Here's the thing: You may never be burned by always being the one who sneers at the "flavour of the week," but you are missing a very key point that every year there are players who exceed expectations by 20-40 points, were acquired for peanuts, and if you don't have at least one of them the odds are excellent that you will have a nice steady team that regularly finishes in or close to the money but doesn't take the Crown. That's my maxim and I've never seen a reason not to follow it.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Wizard

He has real long-term potential. He was on fire one week but that doesn't mean he's done now that he's stopped producing.

- - - Updated - - -

+1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    I agree the euphoria got out of hand, i think you will find a post from me after his two point nite, when one was the goal from centre ice and the other was a stretch pass to i think Seguin, that he cld have so easily had a goose egg that nite and the hype wouldn't have come close to reaching that crescendo. Having said that, the rave reviews from non-fantasy geeks (i recall the Oilers colour man raving about this kid's poise) suggested this was more than a flavour of the week, and indeed maybe he is legit but perhaps Ruff made a bad call the other nite. Maybe no one should draft a d-man coached by Ruff. Kling's 13-minute nite came after Stars blown out by a far better team, the wings, he played more than 20 minutes, had a season high four shots, and was minus one. Daley and Goli also minus one, demers - 2, they all got roughly the same amount of ice time and slightly more on pp. Maybe he took blame for loss, or PP woes, or he did or said something stupid that pissed Ruff off. Or maybe Ruff flipped a coin. Now he's being written off because...what?...Goli makes a basic pass on first pp goal that Seguin sets up and suddenly Goli's reason PP is clicking? Such a fickle game. Check out quote under my signature for my view on all this second-guessing. Yeah, we aren't supposed to trust rookie d-men but he is 22, not 18, has good pedigree, dominates ahl, and a veteran coach immediately gives him 24-plus minutes a night and puts him on pp#1 over 3 veterans. If anyone's saying we're fickle or dumb for picking him up they're saying the same thing about a veteran coach respected around the league.
    Back in the day when all we had to go by were box scores in newspapers, not toi or analytics data or sites like this one, I picked up a kid named Zubov because he was averaging over a point a game in late October for Wings. Got him just b4 my arch-rival and league perennial winner was planning to take him, and he cursed me all year as i won thanks largely to a rookie waiver wire d-man no one had ever heard of who scored 89 points. Here's the thing: You may never be burned by always being the one who sneers at the "flavour of the week," but you are missing a very key point that every year there are players who exceed expectations by 20-40 points, were acquired for peanuts, and if you don't have at least one of them the odds are excellent that you will have a nice steady team that regularly finishes in or close to the money but doesn't take the Crown. That's my maxim and I've never seen a reason not to follow it.
    Needs more paragraphs ...
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am sure he has potential, but the hype surrounding this kid for the past few weeks was simply out of control. As I say, he was the Kool-aid everyone was drinking and loving it. A few bad games later and everyone finds the Kool-aid a little sour and wants to spit it out.

You can't sell the farm on these types of players but you also can't seem to explain this to a lot of people either. Long term, I am sure the upside is there but people need to realize these young players (Dmen especially) take a bit longer to develop. Sure they may start like wildfire, but get ready for the regression, and then hopefully the rebound. We have seen lots of these kids with this same issue. A perfect example of this from earlier this season has been Damon Severson. Justin Schultz is another good example. Same for Jake Trouba. Those are just the ones I can quickly think of but I am sure there are plenty more.

Seadawg said it best earlier in this thread:

My only point is that people need to be cautious with these young dmen and more often that not it is better to stick with the established veteran. On these boards lately I saw posts with people dropping McDonagh, Suter, Carlson, etc. for Klingberg.
    It's great to try and snag the next best thing coming down the pipe, but be ready for a bit of a rocky road at times along the way too.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sure they may start like wildfire, but get ready for the regression, and then hopefully the rebound. We have seen lots of these kids with this same issue. A perfect example of this from earlier this season has been Damon Severson. Justin Schultz is another good example. Same for Jake Trouba. Those are just the ones I can quickly think of but I am sure there are plenty more.

Seadawg said it best earlier in this thread:

It's great to try and snag the next best thing coming down the pipe, but be ready for a bit of a rocky road at times along the way too.
    like Ekblad?
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Deity

like Ekblad?

Please tell me you are not trying to compare Klingberg to the 1st overall pick?

And yes, it's certainly a possibility that Ekblad hits a snag early in his career. I hope he doesn't but if it happened, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dobber Sports Padawan

So are you trying to compare Klingberg to the 1st overall pick?
    That's a ridiculous comment. You were making a sweeping generalization about young D, and Ekblad's 18. So you're saying top picks are exceptions to your rule? But you covered your bases anyway by saying he could fade too. Better save that quote so you can brag later, since you will be right either way! lol.

-- Boethius

Dobber Sports Deity

I never said I expect Ekblad to fade (nor did I say I expect Klingberg to fade), but I said its a possibility he could stumble. Big difference.

And you can say its a sweeping comment, but that brush certainly hits a lot of young players, not just D.

Dobber Sports Superstar

You can't sell the farm on these types of players but you also can't seem to explain this to a lot of people either. Long term, I am sure the upside is there but people need to realize these young players (Dmen especially) take a bit longer to develop. Sure they may start like wildfire, but get ready for the regression, and then hopefully the rebound. We have seen lots of these kids with this same issue. A perfect example of this from earlier this season has been Damon Severson. Justin Schultz is another good example. Same for Jake Trouba. Those are just the ones I can quickly think of but I am sure there are plenty more.
    Tyler Myers?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Expert

like Ekblad?
    Funny; when Klingberg had his awesome week there were quite a few threads about the two, with everyone and their mom suggesting Klingberg as the better option. Kling is still a great option to own in keeper league and can easily be back on the PP any second. I just would not trust Dallas and the kids own talent enough to be 100% sure.

While Ekblad had some luck as well, there is a difference between the two. Ekblad plays great in both ends off the ice and has done that before he hit the NHL, he got the reputation. Whoever has watched any Panther game can tell you that he looked NHL-ready the second he stepped on the ice and was the best D on the ice every single night. The offensive production might go down but the kid will stay a top-pairing D without a doubt making him the safer option of the two.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.