Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bye Bye Rice

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Bye Bye Rice

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Looks pretty gross, and I'm sure he deserves all of the backlash he'll get. I read through some of what people have been saying, and one thing that gets me is how many people are eager to say that you 'NEVER HIT A WOMAN NO MATTER WHAT!' - That's horseshit. There are circumstances where hitting a woman is absolutely appropriate. It doesn't seem like this is one of those times in any way, but just saying...

Not sure I agree with this statement. Care to elaborate on what you consider "absolutely appropriate".

Edit: why do I get the feeling I am opening Pandora's Box in asking that...
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Not sure I agree with this statement. Care to elaborate on what you consider "absolutely appropriate".

Edit: why do I get the feeling I am opening Pandora's Box in asking that...
    Fair question, and if anything gets opened it will be my fault lol.

I don't mean if your wife looks at you the wrong way, or cheats on you, or yells at you, or anything like that.

Think of the reasons we aren't supposed to hit women - because they are inherently weaker, more vulnerable, and hitting somebody who can't defend themselves is cowardly. Same reason you shouldn't hit a kid or a puppy or a cripple. It's not because women are somehow above being hit.

What if a woman is bigger than you, stronger than you, and you are the one in a vulnerable position? I have no problem with a man who defends himself against a tirading woman operating under the assumption that she is untouchable.

Everybody has the right to defend themselves from anyone else. If a woman attacks me on the subway I will stop her in any way necessary. In most cases it would only take grabbing and holding her or something along those lines, but if that doesn't work a good chop to the neck should do it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good riddance. But let's not allow this to absolve the NFL for its deplorable handling of this situation initially. Hard to imagine them bungling it any worse than they did. Disgraceful.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Star

I do agree with forumname. If a woman ever comes at me with a knife, I am not holding back.

Another situation happened to a good friend of mine. He assumed everything in his marriage was awesome. They had been married for 6 years. They had 2 beautiful children. Everyone seemed happy. He came home from work early one day to find his wife having sex in their bed with a friend of hers. He looked at the guy and told him he had about 10 seconds to get out, after the guy scrambled to get out of the house, he looked at his wife who was now crying, and slapped her. It wasn't a punch, it was hard open handed slap in the face. Now, I never would have thought him the type to hit a woman. After talking to him afterwards, he pretty firmly believes that it would have been different had he just found out about it. But he walked in and saw it, in his own bed, and he reacted. While I am not sure I fully condone it, I do think I understand it. I would never want to be placed in that situation.

Granted, this seems pretty different from the Rice situation.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Titan

Rice also lied to the Ravens and NFL about how severe the circumstance was, which was prolly the reason for the small suspension and the Ravens keeping him. He was suspended for 2 games, which is like 10 game suspension in the NHL’s 82 game season. Depending on what he said, (I think he said he pushed her back and she hit her face off the railing, and she prolly backed him up on this statement) the NFL could have just wanted this behind them on what’s been a terrible offseason for them.

Sadly I see Rice not getting to play this season, and then depending how the suspension goes, he’d get a tryout on a weak southern team (not saying they’d expect it, I’m just saying he’d run from the north because that’s where he was before). If he’s just suspended indefinitely then yes he gets an outside shot at playing. If it’s a 16 game suspension, then no way he gets back in the NFL. He’d have to take up a roster position for a full yr in that case.

For the record guys, drug policy has been reformed. I haven’t read up on it, but looks like Gordon may play this yr, Welker may only get 2 games, and Mathis (if not injured) would have had a reduced penalty. And CFL allows players in under drug violations because the policies differs (limits, suspension lengths, drug test regularity) than from what the NFL’s policy is. CFL is a lot more ‘in this case’ because they scrape the bottom of the barrel often.

Dobber Sports Icon

The NFLPA has formally appealed Rice’s indefinite suspension, on the grounds that it is essentially a 2nd punishment for the same misconduct, with the arbitration hearing scheduled in 9 days. I think they have a good case, and some have speculated that the NFL may settle quickly because they’re concerned about Goodell and his staff having to testify before the arbitrator. If his suspension is reduced or reverts back to a 2-game suspension, does anyone thing another team picks him up? Doubtful given all the stigma and what the Vikings just did with Peterson, suspending him after having reinstated him due to public pressure.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    The NFLPA has formally appealed Rice’s indefinite suspension, on the grounds that it is essentially a 2nd punishment for the same misconduct, with the arbitration hearing scheduled in 9 days. I think they have a good case, and some have speculated that the NFL may settle quickly because they’re concerned about Goodell and his staff having to testify before the arbitrator. If his suspension is reduced or reverts back to a 2-game suspension, does anyone thing another team picks him up? Doubtful given all the stigma and what the Vikings just did with Peterson, suspending him after having reinstated him due to public pressure.
    I doubt it. As you mention, the PR would be a pretty big problem right now. But he's also just not that good anymore. Not worth the hassle, I'd imagine.

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Just read that too, Bomm. Pretty mind blowing, really, and not in a good way....

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Just read that too, Bomm. Pretty mind blowing, really, and not in a good way....
    It's an incredible article, and if all the details are true, the fallout will be massive. I figure the GM at minimum loses his job, possibly they force Bisciotti to sell a la Sterling (although that's a stretch). Can't believe that Bisciotti had the balls to send that tweet to Rice moments after they had unceremoniously dumped him!

I can easily see Rice winning his appeal and his suspension getting reduced to 6 games or back down to the original 2 games. Do you think people are starting to roster him given that possibility? The Ravens won't take him back, but truth is this story might make it more palatable for another team to invest in him, reasoning that Rice was at least truthful from day 1 and it was his first offense.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Deity

That's some screwed up crap all the way down the pipe.

Even if he gets his suspension reduced, I have a hard time seeing another NFL team taking a chance with him. It would seem like a public relations nightmare. Maybe if he sits this year and the dust settles a bit, but even then, I am dubious he gets another shot.

Mistakes made all the way down the line in this story.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Great piece right there. Sounds like from the sources, Rice understands that his frightening, violent actions were unacceptable. I really wish the best for Janay Palmer-Rice and their family.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Sad story on a myriad of levels...

Rice failed as a man - it happens but you have to own it. Sadly during his initial press conference I hear more apologies for his teammates and fans than his wife.

Goodell failed as a commissioner - you're the leader of a multi-billion dollar organization, employing ex-FBI investigators on your payroll and the thought of "Hmm, where is the first half of that elevator vid?" never effin crossed your mind?!? I call bullshit. And then the hubris in thinking it (the full vid) would never rear its ugly head...power corrupts.

Ravens Org - for trying to protect its investment at what price? I'm not religious, but were I Bisciotti....well, I'd be trying to figure what ring of hell I am destined for.

It's disgusting behavior all around.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    What pisses me off is the frothing at the mouth now. Why wasn't this outrage done before? Sure, people were pissed, but what I'm seeing now far exceeds that. What did people think happened in the elevator? He touched her lightly, she stumbled and fell? Come on. We already knew he slugged her and this outrage and indefinite suspension should have already happened. This second video would then be met with a "yeah, I thought so, thank goodness we reacted properly a month ago"
    That's what I said.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis