Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yahoo Mock 02: Aug 26, 12pm EST.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Yahoo Mock 02: Aug 26, 12pm EST.

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Phaneuf and Buff going 131-132 overall in a draft makes absolutely no sense whatsover. Especially if it's roto. They are both top15 options on D. Top5 for Buff IMO
    Phaneuf is low because he had a lack of PPP (only 11) last year.
    Buff is low because he had an aweful +/- (-20) last year.

But yeah... totally hear you.
    One of the things people have been noting is how little a difference there probably is between the skaters around #25 thru #75.
    Like, how far apart are Couture vs. Krejci.... or Kunitz vs. E.Kane?
    Are you really going to take a Couture/Kunitz in the 2nd/3rd round if you can get Krejci/E.Kane in the 5th/6th?

Might be reason to focus on a goalie or defenseman!?

I'm 95% certain that the Yahoo Y! Rank (which is the draft board list) is a combination of two things:
    1) Full year statistics, weighted by some manner of previous year or two
    2) Some modification by Scott Pianowski (Yahoo!).

But I think SP shifted some people, but not all.
    So guys he didn't shift are placed by their statistical spot.
    Buff's -20 really does hurt his statistical value... but if he corrects that to just +0 this year, it's the difference in being Yahoo! skater #40 vs. Yahoo! skater #17.

One caveat with Buff... in "Blocks" leagues, it's going to be hard to justify putting him in a D-slot... if he's actually playing Wing and NOT blocking shots.
    Big of a snaffu!

Dobber Sports Guru

I wasn't in the draft, but some of my thoughts:

Surprised it took so long for a goalie to selected (12th overall?).

Sharp was a touch too high in my opinion.

Are there faceoffs in this league? Surprised Vermette wasn't taken if there was.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^One of the tough things about a mock is that people aren't "on the same page" with regard to categories/settings.

One of these days, we should actually declare some "settings" and see how well people do through a mock.
    Of course, we'd need a good set of "projections" for all stats.

But I've always wanted to mock draft and then put player stats into a ROTO format... and see who shakes out best.
    That can also get dicey because if somebody knows that drafting their goalies early LOCKS IN the best roto stats, then they'd do it... when in actuality it is NOT the truth.

Hmm... thinking... some day we'll have to do something like that.

But, I've decided that if we can have 10-20 mocks... sort them, log them in Excel, it will at least tell us a little bit about people's drafting patterns.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I wasn't in the draft, but some of my thoughts:

Surprised it took so long for a goalie to selected (12th overall?).

Sharp was a touch too high in my opinion.

Are there faceoffs in this league? Surprised Vermette wasn't taken if there was.
    I dont know what everyone else was doing but I was kind of going with what was listed there for cats- which was standard 6 X 4. No Faceoffs, Blocks or Hits...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^One of the tough things about a mock is that people aren't "on the same page" with regard to categories/settings.

One of these days, we should actually declare some "settings" and see how well people do through a mock.
    Of course, we'd need a good set of "projections" for all stats.

But I've always wanted to mock draft and then put player stats into a ROTO format... and see who shakes out best.
    That can also get dicey because if somebody knows that drafting their goalies early LOCKS IN the best roto stats, then they'd do it... when in actuality it is NOT the truth.

Hmm... thinking... some day we'll have to do something like that.

But, I've decided that if we can have 10-20 mocks... sort them, log them in Excel, it will at least tell us a little bit about people's drafting patterns.
    Another cool option would be to create a league- which is just basically for the mock draft. We wouldnt stay in the league but we can make the positional needs a lot deeper- and cutomize our stats. People would have to accept an e-mail invite beforehand and be able to draft at a specific time- but its be like an uber- mock- lol! Maybe Ill start a thread- see if we can get one for later tonight...

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I dont know what everyone else was doing but I was kind of going with what was listed there for cats- which was standard 6 X 4. No Faceoffs, Blocks or Hits...
    Ya me too. I was drafting based on the standard 6x4 setup.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Ya me too. I was drafting based on the standard 6x4 setup.
    Ditto to this... only thing that kind of plays in the way for me is a keeper vs one year league
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Another cool option would be to create a league- which is just basically for the mock draft. We wouldnt stay in the league but we can make the positional needs a lot deeper- and cutomize our stats. People would have to accept an e-mail invite beforehand and be able to draft at a specific time- but its be like an uber- mock- lol! Maybe Ill start a thread- see if we can get one for later tonight...
    This sounds like a really good idea. For all of the drafts I'm working off my rankings established for my one year league listed in signature (9 skater/3 goalie categories) so I have been letting goalies slip a bit (I took Niemi by accident). I also try and track the Hits of various players. Basically I'm half-way between drafting with my league settings and the standard settings. I would love to do a 12-team league with deeper rosters. Ideally 3C,3LW,3RW,4D 2G + 5 Bench but I'll do whatever deeper format is agreed upon.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    This sounds like a really good idea. For all of the drafts I'm working off my rankings established for my one year league listed in signature (9 skater/3 goalie categories) so I have been letting goalies slip a bit (I took Niemi by accident). I also try and track the Hits of various players. Basically I'm half-way between drafting with my league settings and the standard settings. I would love to do a 12-team league with deeper rosters. Ideally 3C,3LW,3RW,4D 2G + 5 Bench but I'll do whatever deeper format is agreed upon.

Im totally down for editing cats- positional requirements- bench- etc. It be nice to get them kind of set before the draft though cause I have a feeling they might lock the setting at a certain before the draft.

Anyone interested PM or post your e-mail. Lets get it filled up!!
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...-Aug26-8-00-EA

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    I think he was on auto-draft .... If so it shows you how easily you can get screwed with it.
    who auto drafts a mock draft?>! lol
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.