Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Q&A with the Dobber Football staff

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Preseason Q&A with the Dobber Football staff

Post all your NFL and fantasy football related questions here and one of the staff members at Dobber Football will answer them.

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Preseason Q&A with the Dobber Football staff

Thanks Matt. My question was just posted in a separate thread, in a 2QB 12-team league (Yahoo - standard scoring incl 4-point passing TD) with the following roster positions, who do you pick 1st overall?

- 2 QB!!
    - 2 RB
    - 3 WR
    - 1 TE
    - 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
    - 1 DST
    - 1 PK
    - 6 Bench
    - 1 IR

Many will say McCoy, so if that's the case who would you pick next if McCoy is gone and you're 2nd overall?

Also, anyone have any clue whether Gordon, if suspended, would be put on IR? That's huge given we have an IR spot.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

I'll be available more post-5pm, but will try to pop in between now and then. Check out the latest stock watch report too!

/Dobber Football
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks Matt. My question was just posted in a separate thread, in a 2QB 12-team league (Yahoo - standard scoring incl 4-point passing TD) with the following roster positions, who do you pick 1st overall?

- 2 QB!!
    - 2 RB
    - 3 WR
    - 1 TE
    - 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
    - 1 DST
    - 1 PK
    - 6 Bench
    - 1 IR

Many will say McCoy, so if that's the case who would you pick next if McCoy is gone and you're 2nd overall?

Also, anyone have any clue whether Gordon, if suspended, would be put on IR? That's huge given we have an IR spot.
    In a 2 QB league I want 2 QBs in the first three rounds. Look, I know it really sucks to draft Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers over Charles or Mccoy in the first. It sucks to draft RG3 over Julio Jones in the second. Know what sucks more? Drafting someone like Jake Locker in the 4th round.

Not knowing the scoring settings I would draft your favorite of Peyton/Rodgers/Brees at 1.01 and then at the 2/3 turn take the best available QB and best available RB or TE. If I was 2nd overall I would have a similar plan.

Suspended players don't generally go on the IR so I doubt that happens. There are a lot of gamblers who are taking Gordon in the 9th and 10th rounds right now. I'm not one of them but I understand why you would do it.

Dobber Sports Giant

Hmm ... I recently finished my draft for 10-team PPR league and I wanted to get an idea of how some guys are valued:

QB: Tony Romo / Russell Wilson
    RB: Jamaal Charles
    RB: Le'veon Bell
    WR: Antonio Brown
    WR: Andre Johnson
    TE: Jordan Cameron
    Flex: Victor Cruz
    D/ST: Cincy
    K: Prater

Bench: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Kendall Wright, Cecil Shorts III, Khiry Robinson, Knile Davis

I'm curious where the DobberFootball crew would value guys like Le'veon Bell / Andre Johnson / Victor Cruz / Cameron / Rice / Wright / Robinson. A ranking among the positions (i.e. Bell 8th ranked PPR RB) would be awesome for these guys. I guess I'll give my preliminary rankings for them:

Le'veon Bell #8 RB
    Andre Johnson #12 WR
    Victor Cruz #9 WR
    Jordan Cameron #3 TE
    Ray Rice #18 RB
    Kendall Wright #18 WR
    Robinson ???

Any insight on these players would be fantastic. Thanks!
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    In a 2 QB league I want 2 QBs in the first three rounds. Look, I know it really sucks to draft Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers over Charles or Mccoy in the first. It sucks to draft RG3 over Julio Jones in the second. Know what sucks more? Drafting someone like Jake Locker in the 4th round.

Not knowing the scoring settings I would draft your favorite of Peyton/Rodgers/Brees at 1.01 and then at the 2/3 turn take the best available QB and best available RB or TE. If I was 2nd overall I would have a similar plan.

Suspended players don't generally go on the IR so I doubt that happens. There are a lot of gamblers who are taking Gordon in the 9th and 10th rounds right now. I'm not one of them but I understand why you would do it.
    Agreed. And just to expand, if I may, GMs in 2QB leagues need to realize that in a 12 team league pretty much all 32 starting QBs will be taken. Consequently, it's not like other positons...say, WR...where you can pluck a breakout player off the waiver wire. Bust your QB list into tiers. You absolutely want at least one of your top ten in the first two rounds and if you skip QB while drafting from the pole position in a snake draft it is extremely risky thinking one of those will still be around by the time your second picks comes rolling back up.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

QB: Tony Romo / Russell Wilson
    RB: Jamaal Charles
    RB: Le'veon Bell
    WR: Antonio Brown
    WR: Andre Johnson
    TE: Jordan Cameron
    Flex: Victor Cruz
    D/ST: Cincy
    K: Prater

Bench: Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Kendall Wright, Cecil Shorts III, Khiry Robinson, Knile Davis

Le'veon Bell #8 RB
    Andre Johnson #12 WR
    Victor Cruz #9 WR
    Jordan Cameron #3 TE
    Ray Rice #18 RB
    Kendall Wright #18 WR
    Robinson ???
    My current ranks:

Le'Veon Bell RB16
    Ray Rice RB20
    Khiry Robinson RB39 (but with a ton of upside)
    Andre Johnson WR16
    Victor Cruz WR14
    Kendall Wright WR32
    Jordan Cameron TE4

In terms of your team the only criticism I have is spending a pick on a backup QB. In 10 team leagues (and most 12 team leagues) I am only drafting 1 QB and using the waiver wire as my QB2.

Dobber Sports Giant

My current ranks:

Le'Veon Bell RB16
    Ray Rice RB20
    Khiry Robinson RB39 (but with a ton of upside)
    Andre Johnson WR16
    Victor Cruz WR14
    Kendall Wright WR32
    Jordan Cameron TE4

In terms of your team the only criticism I have is spending a pick on a backup QB. In 10 team leagues (and most 12 team leagues) I am only drafting 1 QB and using the waiver wire as my QB2.
    These rankings are for PPR? I only grabbed another QB because my starter is Romo, and I worry about him missing some time.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Interested in your ranking of these youngins from a stash-and-hold perspective in a 14 team dynasty setting (6 point passing TDs):

Bridgewater
    Manziel
    Bortles
    Derek Carr
    Mallett

Thanks.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    These rankings are for PPR? I only grabbed another QB because my starter is Romo, and I worry about him missing some time.
    Correct. For PPR. Keep in mind that most rankings you see (including mine) are not a predictor of where a player will finish in terms of total fantasy points. It is part of the equation but things like player health, relative risk, and upside also factor in. I may think Le'Veon Bell will finish higher than 16 (I do) but I won't take him as a RB1 because of some of the risk factors I believe to be associated with him (recent pot charge, timeshare with Bell, offensive line)

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Interested in your ranking of these youngins from a stash-and-hold perspective in a 14 team dynasty setting (6 point passing TDs):

Bridgewater
    Manziel
    Bortles
    Derek Carr
    Mallett

Thanks.
    Mallett - last year of contract
    Bortles - great spot, see this week's stock watch for more
    Bridgewater
    Manziel/Carr - high risk/moderate reward imo. Carr will jet the pocket at the site of his own shadow. Manziel needs work on technique (see stock watch)

EDIT: Manziel actually holds more value than Carr but not necessarily as a stash-and-hope. Manziel is the kinda cat I would stash, wait until he plays a few solid games and then sell high for a king's ransom. He'll have long term durability issues running around the way he does. Just not built to withstand that kinda punishment long term.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post

Bridgewater
    Manziel
    Bortles
    Derek Carr
    Mallett

Thanks.
    Firstly, I generally would prefer to pay a premium to get a solid young QB in the 6-10 range than rely on drafting someone every season. Currently I would target guys like Kaepernick and Wilson.

In terms of these 5 I would rank them this way as of this posting:

Bortles
    Bridgewater
    Manziel
    Carr
    Mallett

I believe that Manziel has the highest upside of any of the 5 but he probably also has the most risk so you have to weigh that. Bortles and Bridgewater are much safer but in my opinion do not offer the same top end production that JFF could reach.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Firstly, I generally would prefer to pay a premium to get a solid young QB in the 6-10 range than rely on drafting someone every season. Currently I would target guys like Kaepernick and Wilson.

In terms of these 5 I would rank them this way as of this posting:

Bortles
    Bridgewater
    Manziel
    Carr
    Mallett

I believe that Manziel has the highest upside of any of the 5 but he probably also has the most risk so you have to weigh that. Bortles and Bridgewater are much safer but don't in my opinion do not offer the same top end production that JFF could reach.
    Thanks. I agree with the assessment of Bortles/Bridgewater vs. JFF too (the latter's inability to stop clowning around when he knows the world is scrutinizing his every move has me a tad concerned when talking of an NFL QB).

Also, I should have clarified that I'm not relying on one of these guys to be "the guy" for my team anytime soon. My primary QB is Stafford, who I've had since his rookie season. But I'm in the market for another young guy who I can park on the bench, use for an occasional spot start where needed and perhaps have as a chip for other moves my club might need down the road. It makes the risk of Manziel a bit more palatable, but I'm not entirely convinced that his shine will outlast the new car smell.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

First off I want to say thankyou for helping all of us!! Secondly, this is my first ever PPR draft.. Sorry for all the questions:

1)In a 12 team PPR league(QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX), do I draft WR's hard right off the bat or do I go after RB's that catch the ball..?? When is a good round to go after QB's in this league?

2)Who are some valuable PPR guys?? I have no clue right now with PPR..

3)Can you list me some sleepers for PPR, that I can probably nab late?

4)Will any of these guys be valuable: Dobson(NE), Boykin(GB), K.Wright(TEN), Rod Streater(OAK), R.Cooper(PHI), K.Britt(STL) ?????

5)Late TE's to be drafted and will produce?? I want to wait on TE.. J.Reed, L.Green, H.Miller, J.Cook, D.Allen..??

6) Andy Dalton, C.Palmer, Big Ben?? Are they worth starting??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hi!

I have a few.

1. What can we expect from Lehner this year?
    2. Same question but for Kuznetsov
    3. Should Gibon be a high-value target?

Thanks!
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO