Poll: Desk Jockeys: How many computer screens do you use?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Desk Jockeys: Two Monitors or One Monitor?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Desk Jockeys: Two Monitors or One Monitor?

I use 2 monitors at work. Laptop at home. I'm fine with only one, but I prefer two if I have the choice.

Dobber Sports Master

Normally I have one screen on at a time, but the iPad mini allows me to have two going simultaneously if it is required.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

What do you need two monitors for at home? Curios to know what you guys use it for?

Dobber Sports Master

If you work with a computer all day, it is a fact that two screens is more efficient. ALT-TAB cannot make up for using only one screen. I can make due with only one screen at home. Hasn't bothered me at all.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I agree about the productivity increase multiple monitors has, i'm a programmer and at work i have four 24" monitors.. only had three for a while, and it slowed me down - had to have a 4th! at any given time i have these open: e-mail, the display of the app, the code, the requirements/specs im building off of, errors logs etc - or some other variation of these.. I am the exception though (only 1 other person has 4), the rest of the team has 3.

at home i have three 19" monitors, but this is mostly to work from home.. its 2 for personal use.
    Keeper Team: Wyld Stallions
    10 team, 9 year Keeper League, no cap, 15 main roster, 10 bench (keep 12), 12 prospect (keep 7)
    Result: 6th
    Positions: 9F, 4D, 2G
    Forwards/Defensemen Categories: G/A = 1pt
    Goaltenders: W = 2, S/O = 3

F: Crosby, Eberle, L. Couture, Stepan, Huberdeau, Kreider, Toffoli, Lucic, Marchand
    D: Josi, Faulk, Byfuglien, Trouba
    G: Holtby, Varlamov
    Bench: E. Staal, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Hartnell, Niskanen, Green, Goligoski, Andersen, Johnson

P: Matthews, Rantanen, Drouin, Parayko, Werenski, Spooner, Reinhart, Nichushkin, Pulock, Demko, Gilles

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Gotta atleast have 2 extended view so that I can click and drag to which ever. Don't even like just my lap top any more as I need the extra display.

Esp at draft time... Screen 1 draft screen.... Screen 2 war room material.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    If you work with a computer all day, it is a fact that two screens is more efficient. ALT-TAB cannot make up for using only one screen. I can make due with only one screen at home. Hasn't bothered me at all.
    I don't think the word 'fact' has any place in this discussion. I've used 1-3 monitors and find that you simply grow to the size of your house. When you have one monitor, you get really good at having 1 monitor, and having less to manage can actually speed up your workflow.

Has anybody said anything about monitor size? Given a reasonable screen size there is no reason you can't have multiple tabs open on a single screen, see them all at once and reduce time-costly head movement from screen to screen. I've worked with 2 - 27" monitors and loved it, but now that I work exclusively on a 15.6" laptop screen I can see I was just being silly before. More is only better up to a certain point, then it's just more. I would argue that 1 awesome screen is better than 2 shitty ones, so saying that 2 is factually more efficient than 1 just isn't true.

The Great One

What do you need two screens for at home?!

Unless you work at home, and you have two monitors you are probably spending too much time on the computer.