Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bad Proposals, How Do You Handle Them?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Bad Proposals, How Do You Handle Them?

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    Kreider+Letang+8th+6th for my Nuge+Burns+2nd+7th
    That one's not too shabby actually. I'd tell them to spend more time in Dobberville where they can better hone their fantasy trading skills. But I'd still rather get some offbeat trade requests than none at all. It's no fun when things are too quiet. Just sigh and move along.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

a quick, ''no thanks"" is all thats needed. or simply tell em that your just not that interested in getting ripped off.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Monster

I usually reject without a message if its a horrible offer. If it's a half-decent offer I'll say something polite. You never want to be a jerk to anyone in your pool and scare them away and make them think twice about sending you offers - you ALWAYS want to receive as many trade offers as possible. That's just being a good GM. If theyre a bit aloof and lack self awareness, maybe one day they'll send you a juicy offer (unlikely but you never know). I always enjoy getting trade offers even if theyre stupid. Who cares? You have no obligation to accept them, you might as well just laugh at it and decline. You might be tempted to lash out at them as a matter of pride, but really all thats going to do is reduce the chances of them offering trades to you in the future, which in the end hurts your team.

TL;DR: The pragmatic approach is to respectfully decline.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i usually just reject and counter with an even stinkier offer to give em a taste of their own medicine. counter productive i guess... but makes me feel better
    Fwds: Benn, Hertl, Backstrom, Coleman, W.Karlsson, Marchand, Mcdavid, Bergeron, A.svechnikov, Malkin, W.Nylander, toffoli.

Dfnse: Deangelo, Fox, Hronek, Ristolainen, Giordano, Letang

Goalie: Samsonov, Binnington

Rsrvs: Radulov, bjorkstrand, buchnevich, krebs, sanford, Grzelcyk, Suter, M.Lehtonen, Severson, Spurgeon, K'andre Miller, Allen, Mrazek, Prosvetov, Vanecek

12-team Keeper. Rotisserie.
    G,A,+/-,Hits,Blks,Pim,Sog,PPP,HT,SHPTS,W,Spct,Gaa,SO,Svs

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have a buddy who loves to do low ball offers in hopes the other GM accidentally hits the accept button when he is going for the decline.

strategy - takes all kinds
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I'm usually rude lol. Everyone in my league is friends though, so I have no issue telling them when they are stupid. I also find it makes them think about more reasonable options.
    Same, we all know each other in mine so I just say it as it is.
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

I...am your father.

I always explain clearly what is wrong with the offer, and then I ask them where in that offer do they think it will help me in some way. I also tell them which players they asked for that I won't part with easily and what I think of each player on my side of their offer. Future offers are always much better - though much more rare
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I've stopped talking to half the people in my league because anytime I inquire about a player I'm asked for one of my best young guns for said player. "You interested in trading Joel Ward?", then I get "How about for Jaden Schwartz?". Like GTFO a here.
    14 team keeper Sim league
    40 player 100 year cap,
    C: Giroux, Barzal, Getzlaf, Koivu
    LW: Schenn, Labanc, Neal, Mikeyev, Benn
    RW: Voracek, Kucherov, Wheeler, Garland, Burakovsky
    D: Keith, Weber, Suter, Edler, E. Johnson, Stralman, Cernak
    G: Raanta, Korpisalo, Miller,

Voracek, Jakub: Alexander Daigles ---> Salmon Kings
    Giroux, Claude: Salmon Kings ---> Alexander Daigles
    2014 Draft Pick, Round 1 (Peninsula Eagles): Alexander Daigles ---> Salmon Kings

I just got that one lol, he always sends me shitty ones. The 1st isn't even his own (which makes it worse) and would probably be someone like Dupius or Vrbata
    ***2014/2017 Points only League Champion***
    Our league is a 10 team, 12 player keeper. Weekly H2H
    Points only. Dress - 4 LW 4 C 4 RW 6 D 2 G
    Weight - G= 2 A= 1 Hatty =3 W = 2 So=3 OTL=1
    Keepers - Giroux, Ovechkin, Backstrom(C), Tarasenko, Malkin, Wheeler, -- Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo -- Rask, Schneider, Talbot

Dobber Sports Ace

I would usually reply with something like "That offer isn't going to address the needs of my team."

Then counter-offer with "Now this proposal would be more beneficial...". I almost always try to put the ball back in his court.

If the crap offers keep coming in, I'll say something like: "That deal doesn't interest me right now, but keep trying and I'll keep listening.". It's best to not be a smart-alek because you never know when you might need to fleece that same guy later in the season.
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 41/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Hertl
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Guentzel, Nichushkin(RW)
    RW} Miller(C), Rust, Schmaltz(C)
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} Nedeljkovic, Daccord, Grubauer, Pickard
    IR} Demko
    IR+} Neighbours

via GIPHY

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    I actually use bad offers (or any offer for that matter) as a way of finding out who the other guy is willing to move. Then, I counter with an offer of my own to try to get the player for as cheap as possible.

Remember, if someone offers you a player in a trade, it means that they've mentally already parted ways with that player, so use that to your advantage and try to pry that player off his hands for a very low cost! Don't use a bad offer as an excuse to stop negociations, at least try a few counters before saying "Thanks, but no thanks".
    Good point Dik
    I like to say that I do have interest in one of the players he is looking to trade and ask him to start there, or I look at his roster and ask if he is willing to trade a certain player.
    No use alienating trade partners, after initial bad offer then you get down to business, and if they aren';t willing to work you just say no thanks for now.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Padawan

Usually I'll reply on of two ways:
    "No thanks. I don't think the values close."
    or if football season is over (means work is slower)
    "I'll pass on that offer. I may be willing to move *Patrick Kane*, but if I do it'd be with a young forward piece like *player A* and a good D like *player B coming back from you."

Now, this has changed in my one league though. For some reason all the contending teams there don't ever want to give up their good prospects to a team like me that's rebuilding. Yet, when they're moving guys they always seem to want my best young guys for their vets even though I'm the one that's rebuilding. In that situation I tend to reply with:
    "Why would I move Draisaitl and Nichushkin for an older vet? He maybe better now, but he's also overpaid and those are my two best young forwards. I'm in a full rebuild, and your contending. This move doesn't make sense for either of us, but especially for me. If you're contending, which you clearly are, you should be making moves for vets, not the hot young prospects. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Deals don't work between contenders and rebuilding teams unless the contenders are generally taking the vets, and the rebuilders are taking the prospects."
    12 Team Keeper League, 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 6 D, 1G, 6 BN, 3 IR
    Keep 20 players
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GA, SV, SO

C: Toews, Skinner, Eller, Hertl, Granlund, Jenner, Lindholm
    LW: Boedker, Galchenyuk, Silfverberg, M. Richards
    RW: Yakupov, Nichushkin, Gaborik, Setoguchi, Niederreiter
    D: Karlsson, Subban, Goligoski, D. Kulikov, Carlson, Brodin, Trouba
    G: Price, Varlamov

Banned

I try to explain nicely why the offer is crap so they hopefully learn for future talks. But if they continue to not take the hints I eventually stop responding to them. I try not to play in leagues like that though.

Dobber Sports Icon

If I am reading this forum correctly, it is saying that telling another GM that his valuing of draft picks/prospects over proven NHL players is the reason he's never made the playoffs in his 5 years of management?

Dobber Sports Master

I'll be friendly as possible if its a new gm in one of my leagues but if its someone I've been playing v.s for many years he'll get the ''what are you smoking'' reply