Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for books suggestion

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Looking for books suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    If you're into Podcasts you should check out Hardcore History. It's very well done and he's currently in the middle of a Series on WWI - 3 parts so far. I've only listened to the first one, but it's an excellent listen.
    I agree. They've been excellent.

Did you listen to Ghosts of the Ostfront? I've listened to that a couple times since it was so spectacular.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

For those that enjoy the "separated from society" / "post-apocalyptic" variety of books, I just finished a nice, easy read (enjoyable).

Wayward Pines - Blake Crouch
    (It's a trilogy and I just finished the first book)

Secret Service agent gets stuck in an isolated Montana town and can't get out.
    Yes, this sort of topic has been done before, but the author works some good original concepts in.

Similar to: Twin Peaks {show}, The Silo Trilogy (Wool/Shift/Dust), The Passage (Trilogy)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For those that enjoy the "separated from society" / "post-apocalyptic" variety of books, I just finished a nice, easy read (enjoyable).

Wayward Pines - Blake Crouch
    (It's a trilogy and I just finished the first book)

Secret Service agent gets stuck in an isolated Montana town and can't get out.
    Yes, this sort of topic has been done before, but the author works some good original concepts in.

Similar to: Twin Peaks {show}, The Silo Trilogy (Wool/Shift/Dust), The Passage (Trilogy)
    I rarely read fiction but the thought of isolated Montana towns intrigues me. I have visited several. Is the town fictitious or an actual extant town, such as Lima, Dillon or Basin?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    I rarely read fiction but the thought of isolated Montana towns intrigues me.
    I'm pretty sure a town of Wayward Pines is fictitious, but they do tie it into Boise... and Seattle.
    The author credits Twin Peaks (a fun show from 1990 to watch on Netflix) as his inspiration.

It's nice because you can get the through the book in probably 6-8 hours.

And... if you like it... the other show & two trilogies would be right up your alley. (though, those are much longer reads, per book)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by mojavedesert View Post
    I rarely read fiction but the thought of isolated Montana towns intrigues me.
    I'm pretty sure a town of Wayward Pines is fictitious, but they do tie it into Boise... and Seattle.
    The author credits Twin Peaks (a fun show from 1990 to watch on Netflix) as his inspiration.

It's nice because you can get the through the book in probably 6-8 hours.

And... if you like it... the other show & two trilogies would be right up your alley. (though, those are much longer reads, per book)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Thanks Pengwin. I agree that Wayward Pines is not a real Montana town, but Boise is my favourite American city.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just finished the Wayward Pines trilogy (Blake Crouch).
    Pretty good, not mind-blowing... but a pretty good easy read. 3.5/5 stars.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I can recommend a book "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair " by Dicker. The book is really cool, now they've even made a film. It’s a detective, really big (more than 700 s.), but very interesting. A book that drags on and doesn't want to let you go

Dobber Sports Recruit

"Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell - This book is similar to "David and Goliath" in that it explores how people make quick decisions, but with a focus on how our subconscious influences our decision-making.