Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Obama Distraction

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This is honestly dumb. Yes every single sports team, corporation, government body, etc. releases negative news items at times when they feel it will have the least possible negative effect. This isn't a US government thing or an Obama thing, it's a global thing that everyone does it. Hell. You do it forumname. Every single person in the world tries to find the "best time" to tell someone bad news if they can help it to minimize the impact of bad news.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's human nature. Yes governments attempt to minimize backlash on potentially unpopular policy, IF THEY CAN. If this bill was really as terrible and unpopular as you seem to think it is, the death of an actor wouldn't distract public opinion from it.

IMO, Mods should be locking this thread at this point. Not that I care. I'm not coming back but let the thread die. It's such a dumb thing. This more feels like you're advocating everyone who works in marketing/PR should be jobless, not any substantial revelation about government conspiracy. Woah, good job, you finally cracked the complex code of what public relations teams get hired for! Bravo!

This is all around the worst post I've seen in a long time.

First of all, comparing the topic of the thread to sports teams being secretive about injuries or me withholding information from my wife is ridiculous. The US government is driving this ship! When Obama quietly signs a document that takes us a step away from democracy and towards a dictatorship, people should care! Yes, this type of corruption is rampant around the world, but guess what? When freedoms get taken away in other countries, or when their government lies to them, they REACT! They rise up, they demand change. They don't roll their eyes, say 'oh well, it happens everywhere', and flip the channel back to Storage Wars Texas. There is also a nuanced difference between "finding the right time to tell someone bad news", and doing it in a way to try to prevent them from finding out/caring, but I won't get into that because it seems to be hard to get across.

Second of all, the notion that the public can't be distracted from one issue and have their attention diverted to another is comical. We have our attention diverted by the media all the time, and the significance of the thing matters little. I'm not sure if I feel bad for, or envious of those who are unable to notice...

Lastly, to come in here, lay down a huge opinion and then call for the thread to be locked is just plain childish. "This is stupid, but I want the last word!" Not that you care though, because you won't be back right?

I frequent a lot of forums and never have I seen so much opinion silencing. Why lock a thread? If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't burden the rest of us with your frailty and silence us in the process. Not at all surprising that the ones advocating for and locking threads or deleting posts are also the ones who don't see fault in the US governments use of smokescreens...

Dobber Sports Deity

The thread isn't locked.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

The thread wasn't locked, so your opinion wasn't silenced. Don't worry this isnt Dobberheit451 quite yet.

I find it curious that the two main proponents of this thread, forumname (OP) and VATD do more complaining about reply posts than actual cogent rebuttals to the substantive replies. All this screaming about the notion that the thread will be closed seems more purposely self-fulfilling and deflective.

thread is still open boys...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

I know the thread isn't locked, hence the fact that I just posted in it.

I was referring to previous threads...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I know the thread isn't locked, hence the fact that I just posted in it.

I was referring to previous threads...
    Why???
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

To be clear, saying it should be locked has really nothing to do with the topic. It's become a pointless circle of 4 people arguing about nothing, most of which is not even on the original topic.

Fortunately, I honestly don't care about shitty US politics. Everybody except the person in charge should be in charge and the only thing that people can agree on is the current POTUS sucks lol. NEWSFLASH. Then elect a better leader. Something Americans are apparently awful at, as they never like the pause.

Politicians are MUCH MUCH SMARTER at politics than anyone on these forums, I would wager. Your elected officials had to approve this bill before Obama did. The notion that publicly elected officials aren't allowed to make decisions without a vote of the constituents is a shift away from democracy and towards a dictatorship is absolutely laughable and shows your clear lack of knowledge to what a democratic government is.

If you truly believe that it is your right and freedom to have a direct say in every move your government is making, well then RISE UP AND FIGHT. It would be hilarious (although slightly terrifying, from a world perspective) to see how rapidly the US completely falls apart because they have to have every citizen vote on every bill passed by your government.

That's what your elected officials are for dude, to represent you. Your vote gave them your say. You don't like it, get out the country?

End of the day, I think your opinion is is outlandish and doesn't make sense, you think my opinion is is outlandish and doesn't make sense, everybody still coming into this thread thinks everybody else's opinion is stupid, and the thread has run the course of its purpose. The suggestion wasn't to "silence the masses" as you claim, so offended. It was to kill a thread that has already been killed. If you would like to keep arguing in circles with yourself then be my guest. God some members of this forum are so damn touchy. Get offended about every little thing.

"I can't swear, this is a personal insult to me"

"My offensive post got deleted, they're trying to silence me, this is a personal insult to me"

"I called 10 people an idiot and got an infraction, this is a personal insult at me"

"I can't say anything insulting and derogatory, while at the same time contributing nothing to a thread. These forums have changed. This is a personal insult to me"

Geez, cool your jets

Dobber Sports Star

Come on guys, keep it on topic here. This is about government distraction, not thread locking. If you would like a thread to discuss thread locking please start one in the lounge. Didn't need 3 of you to fly in here and announce the fact that it is still open.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Politicians are MUCH MUCH SMARTER at politics than anyone on these forums, I would wager. Your elected officials had to approve this bill before Obama did. The notion that publicly elected officials aren't allowed to make decisions without a vote of the constituents is a shift away from democracy and towards a dictatorship is absolutely laughable and shows your clear lack of knowledge to what a democratic government is.

If you truly believe that it is your right and freedom to have a direct say in every move your government is making, well then RISE UP AND FIGHT. It would be hilarious (although slightly terrifying, from a world perspective) to see how rapidly the US completely falls apart because they have to have every citizen vote on every bill passed by your government.

That's what your elected officials are for dude, to represent you. Your vote gave them your say. You don't like it, get out the country?
    I'm aware of how it works. The signing I referred to permits the US military to detain individuals indefinitely without trial. Is that okay? I don't think so. Can I do anything about it? Not likely. Is it worth discussing at least? Not here I guess. Fantasy hockey posts only from me from now on.

Come on guys, keep it on topic here. This is about government distraction, not thread locking. If you would like a thread to discuss thread locking please start one in the lounge. Didn't need 3 of you to fly in here and announce the fact that it is still open.
    And ironically you still refuse to add a substantive argument to your own thread. Merely stating something as a truth doesn't make it so. I laid out multiple points as to why I didn't believe Obama did anything disingenuous or deceitful. Sup??
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    And ironically you still refuse to add a substantive argument to your own thread. Merely stating something as a truth doesn't make it so. I laid out multiple points as to why I didn't believe Obama did anything disingenuous or deceitful. Sup??
    Jesus man, sorry if I didn't reply to your specific post. I've been under fire for a while here if you haven't noticed, hard to attend to every bit of backlash. To say I haven't been adding to the conversation and just whining about thread locking shows me you haven't been reading along.

Jesus man, sorry if I didn't reply to your specific post. I've been under fire for a while here if you haven't noticed, hard to attend to every bit of backlash. To say I haven't been adding to the conversation and just whining about thread locking shows me you haven't been reading along.
    Ok...and?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

By my count Bomm, you have 2 on-topic posts that contribute to this thread and about 6 or 7 talking about thread locking policy, and whining about how we are just whining and not contributing. What were your multiple points?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    He's a troll, he's only posting in this thread to bait us into arguing with him. Then he can turn around and say "look you guys derailed the thread" and then delete all the posts he doesn't like and lock the thread down to kill it
    VATD, you continue to ignore the thread topic. Why? Forumname has asked us to stay on topic, please.
    @SmittysRant

Does POTUS cease being human upon election to office? Is he not allowed to publicly express remorse for the loss of a great mind, talent, and human being? And to do so without retaliation of unsupported suspicion/innuendo of ulterior motive? Did CNN et al suddenly stop covering the global self destruction of itself, committing instead to 72hrs of non-stop interpretation and salutation of Obama's expression of regret? Did Obama's poll numbers suddenly jump 20 points?

No, I didn't think so.

As blayze said, this is silly (I paraphrase)
    Obama's on the downside of his second term. He doesn't give a rat's arse what anyone thinks.
    Rebuttal?
    @SmittysRant