Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Distraction

Dobber Sports Star

Default Obama Distraction

This got brought up in the Robin Williams thread and it certainly doesn't belong there, but I am curious what others think. To avoid interrupting the Mrs Doubtfire love too much or offending anyone I thought I would just start a new thread.

Somebody posted a quote from Obama on William's death, to which I pointed out the irony of his mourning the loss of a life while he simultaneously orders the taking of others. I suggested the american government uses these things as distractions, and people didn't seem to like that.

To be clear, I do not think Obama played a role in Robins death, nor do I think he encouraged Miley Cyrus to perform her outrageous VMA skit. While everybody was talking about Miley however, he did sign the National Defense Authorization Act and people didn't take much notice. Now, another country is slated for bombing by the US and Obama makes a point of reminding America how great Robin was and how we should all be thinking of him at this difficult time.

I have no problem with Obama. I really couldn't care less about politics to tell you the truth, so this has nothing to do with him, but am I the only one who thinks that maybe the US likes to use big pop culture events (celebrity scandals, etc) as a smoke screen while they push through unpopular legislation and do things they would otherwise prefer to go un-noticed? Is that such a stretch?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Obama Distraction

I think Obama was simply recognizing Robin Williams for his body of work.

If he didn't say something, people would be jumping on him for not caring. Politicians will be criticized for everything and nothing. It's the nature of the beast.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think Obama was simply recognizing Robin Williams for his body of work.

If he didn't say something, people would be jumping on him for not caring. Politicians will be criticized for everything and nothing. It's the nature of the beast.
    I agree completely with the Axeman. If he says nothing, he is cold hearted. If he says something, he isn't focused on doing his job. Lose lose for the Prez.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I agree completely with the Axeman. If he says nothing, he is cold hearted. If he says something, he isn't focused on doing his job. Lose lose for the Prez.
    And I don't doubt that pressure is a factor, but do you guys really believe that the government doesn't see value in a distracted public and use that to their advantage?

Dobber Sports Stud

They also love to use social issues to polarize us and mask the complete failure of their parties to actually accomplish or solve anything. The government exists because of our hard earned tax dollars. The only issue should be how to properly allocate said dollars. How I feel about gay marriage, legalizing narcotics and abortion should be respected and not become a litmus test for which party I belong to and thus vote for. Please do not fall for it they are ignoring the REAL issues!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think this is you more or less thinking of conspiracy theory. Obama was just simply recognizing his death. The bombing situation was not created yesterday when Williams was in a bad place and about to take his life. This was something in the works before that.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    This got brought up in the Robin Williams thread and it certainly doesn't belong there, but I am curious what others think. To avoid interrupting the Mrs Doubtfire love too much or offending anyone I thought I would just start a new thread.

Somebody posted a quote from Obama on William's death, to which I pointed out the irony of his mourning the loss of a life while he simultaneously orders the taking of others. I suggested the american government uses these things as distractions, and people didn't seem to like that.

To be clear, I do not think Obama played a role in Robins death, nor do I think he encouraged Miley Cyrus to perform her outrageous VMA skit. While everybody was talking about Miley however, he did sign the National Defense Authorization Act and people didn't take much notice. Now, another country is slated for bombing by the US and Obama makes a point of reminding America how great Robin was and how we should all be thinking of him at this difficult time.

I have no problem with Obama. I really couldn't care less about politics to tell you the truth, so this has nothing to do with him, but am I the only one who thinks that maybe the US likes to use big pop culture events (celebrity scandals, etc) as a smoke screen while they push through unpopular legislation and do things they would otherwise prefer to go un-noticed? Is that such a stretch?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Ryker View Post
    I think this is you more or less thinking of conspiracy theory. Obama was just simply recognizing his death. The bombing situation was not created yesterday when Williams was in a bad place and about to take his life. This was something in the works before that.
    i'm aware of the timing, but he doesn't do this for every celebrity death... What determines who gets a public statement and who doesn't?

What about Philip Seymour Hoffman?
    What about Lou Reed?
    What about James Gandolfini?
    What about Elizabeth Taylor?

Maybe it's the current political temperature that determines whether or not he wants to add fuel to the media circus following a celebrity death...

Dobber Sports Deity

i'm aware of the timing, but he doesn't do this for every celebrity death... What determines who gets a public statement and who doesn't?

What about Philip Seymour Hoffman?
    What about Lou Reed?
    What about James Gandolfini?
    what about Elizabeth Taylor
    Maybe he was a big Robin Williams fan. Who knows. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Maybe he was a big Robin Williams fan. Who knows. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Maybe, but that's the narrow-minded keep-your-head-down attitude I expect from most north americans. I bet we all know more details about the death of Robin Williams than the bombings. I know I do. Doesn't that seem strange?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Ryker View Post
    I hardly think the government is failing to deal with the real issues by acknowledging Williams' death. The real issues take time to deal with, and if politicians kept us updated every day as to what they were doing to fix those issues, they wouldn't get anything done. A short word about the death of a beloved actor shouldn't constitute failure in a real world problem. In fact, I think it should give us pause to remember that even the President of the United States his human.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe, but that's the narrow-minded keep-your-head-down attitude I expect from most north americans. I bet we all know more details about the death of Robin williams than the bombings. I know I do. Doesn't that seem strange?
    I can't speak for the masses but I follow the news. Being in the military I am more concerned with whats going on with the conflicts overseas compared to pop culture but that doesn't mean I don't follow it as well. It's all news to me. Some people just feel more connected to pop culture than they are to conflict but that doesn't neccesarily mean they are narrow-minded. It just means that what happened to Robin Williams hits them differently than conflict in the middle east. To each their own.

Dobber Sports Star

I can't speak for the masses but I follow the news. Being in the military I am more concerned with whats going on with the conflicts overseas compared to pop culture but that doesn't mean I don't follow it as well. It's all news to me. Some people just feel more connected to pop culture than they are to conflict but that doesn't neccesarily mean they are narrow-minded. It just means that what happened to Robin Williams hits them differently than conflict in the middle east. To each their own.
    I still don't think you are seeing the irony. He is acknowledging the sadness of one human death, while also ordering the death of others. I don't think it's right to do both. It's like a vegetarian who spouts off about animal rights, then goes home and beats her dog. Or are the people americans kill just not as valuable as Robin Williams?

Dobber Sports Star

I also didn't suggest that following pop culture was narrow minded. What I meant with that statement is that the attitude of 'oh, you're overreacting, maybe he just likes Robin Williams' is narrow minded.

Dobber Sports Deity

I also didn't suggest that following pop culture was narrow minded. What I meant with that statement is that the attitude of 'oh, you're overreacting, maybe he just likes Robin Williams' is narrow minded.
    So you are calling me narrow-minded?

Dobber Sports Star

So you are calling me narrow-minded?
    In this instance, sure. Is that ok?