Thread: Flyers pick up another D

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Flyers pick up another D

Flyers acquire defenseman Tim Ramholt from the Calgary Flames for LW Kyle Greentree. Likely an AHL move for both clubs.

Link

Edit: Just saw TSN\'s article which claims Gauthier was also waived. Also noticed it on the ramblings. Love the speed of this site...

Link
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Pro

An odd move. I don\'t see Ramholt fitting into the picture. I guess as a safety net AHL guy, he\'s not too bad. *shrug*
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Sage

Another odd move...

What the hell is going on in Holmgren\'s office?? I was really looking forward to this guy!

Flyers trade Niskala to Tampa
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Homer basically got a 6th and 7th rd pick for Tristan Grant. Not too shabby.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I don\'t get it.

He seems to be collecting AHL defensemen.

He just traded RJ Umberger to draft 2 defensemen (Sbisa, Bourdon)

traded a 1st round pick in a deep draft for another one
    (who couldn\'t seem to crack that deep deep Capitals lineup.) :unsure:

Basicly gave away Ryan Potulney for another AHLer who most likely won\'t ever play for them (Syvret). :angry:

Triston Grant (a limited but pro quality enforcer) along with a seventh round pick, goes to Dallas for another one (Niskala) who actually looks like he might have some promise, ...but then is immediately shipped off to Tampa Bay for a sixth round pick! (Where he can play alongside of Picard who got shipped there along with a second round pick for what turned out to be 15 games of Vinny Prospal) So Triston Grant + a 7 th rounder = one 6th rounder! :dry:

Gave away Kimo Timonen\'s 23 year old little brother last year to Dallas for nothing.

Traded Ben Eager to Chicago for Jim Vandemeer, then then after 15??? games, basically gave Vandemeer to the flames for nada.

Let Lars Johnson walk another young mobile D and a former first round pick of the B\'s walk without ever giving him a chance.

And now, is buying a Gauthier (2 second round picks to phoenix) so he can go play for someone else.

?????

I\'m starting to get that same sinking feeling like when they signed Chris Therien and Baumgartner to replace Eric Desjardin, and Kim Johnsson. hmy:

So....

Assuming Hatcher still wants to play,
    The Flyers have

Colburn Timonen
    Jones(RFA)Eminger
    Hatcher Parent

and a cast of thousands down in the AHL that aren\'t likely to play as many games or score as many points combined in the NHL in their entire careers, as Ryan Potulney\'s going to by himself this season. :S

Umberger
    Potulney
    Johnson
    Eager
    Grant
    Picard
    Greentree
    Timonen
    Niskala
    1 st round pick
    7th round pick
    2nd round pick
    2nd round pick
    2nd round pick

15 games of Prospal
    15 games of Vandermeer
    Niskala
    Syvret
    Eminger
    1st round pick
    3rd round pick
    2nd round pick
    6th round pick

Umberger
    Potulney
    Johnson
    Eager
    Grant
    Picard
    Greentree
    Timonen
    Tolpeko

Gone.

This is the GM who last year, identified the mistakes of the past, and vowed to keep and develope prospects to remain in contention long term.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Pro

Let\'s wait and see how it pans out before making emotional judgments. Homer has done a lot of whacky things lately but with the cap restrictions this team has; I feel Homer is trying to find a diamond in the rough.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

asset management.

The Flyers essentially flipped Tristan Grant to move up 30 spots in the draft. Niskala wants a one-way deal or he is Europe bound.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Initiate

Great post Flyer Fan, and I can\'t argue with anything you said, but look on the bright side, you could have been a Leaf fan...
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well you make a good point Renegade, that was an emotional reaction, he very much does seem to be a guy who\'s looking for a diamond in the rough, ...collecting a bunch of quick defenseman hoping to get lucky with one of them panning out.

There are guys that do that every year in our fantasy leagues, ...they occasionally get lucky, but usually they wind up doing better from the waiver wire (in large part, because they usually have one of the first picks) :laugh:
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Sage

IcyGrail.com wrote:
    Homer basically got a 6th and 7th rd pick for Tristan Grant. Not too shabby.
    I think you got it backwards. We gave up Triston Grant and a 7th for Niskala, then flipped Niskala for a 6th. If you\'ve read anything about Niskala, a 6th round pick should be a steal. I really wanted him in tryouts.

angus wrote:
    The Flyers essentially flipped Tristan Grant to move up 30 spots in the draft. Niskala wants a one-way deal or he is Europe bound.
    This is what I assumed. That they couldnt sign him. Unfortunate.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Sage

Flyerfan, I\'m getting the feeling that you are a bit more skeptical of Homer than you should be...Homer did take us to the conference finals and one of the trades that you criticize was likely one of the biggest reasons we made it there. Picking up Prospal as a rental. Think of the playoff experience that our young guys got out of that deal. Thats invaluable to me. I\'ll gladly give Picard and a pick for Prospal as a rental. When all of our young guys make it to the playoffs next season and the years after, they will have a lot of experience and they\'ll know what it takes to win. All of that experience would have been lost without Prospal because we wouldnt have even made the playoffs...it\'s just one example, but the message is not to question Homer.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Pro

Flyer Fan wrote:
    Well you make a good point Renegade, that was an emotional reaction, he very much does seem to be a guy who\'s looking for a diamond in the rough, ...collecting a bunch of quick defenseman hoping to get lucky with one of them panning out.

There are guys that do that every year in our fantasy leagues, ...they occasionally get lucky, but usually they wind up doing better from the waiver wire (in large part, because they usually have one of the first picks) :laugh:
    Absolutely agree. Maybe these moves are for two years in advance. This year will be the year they form them to their liking and then be defense-loaded in case we can trade one when their value goes up a bit.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Torture

From a Flames fan point of view it\'s a good move. Ramholt wasn\'t going to get a chance with the big club (Negrin, Pardy, Pelech are all ahead of him on the depth chart), so maybe he can get a chance in Philly...and our forward depth is next to nothing right now so it makes sense.

I wish I had a youtube clip of his 1 shift at the NHL level..it\'s pretty bad. :P