Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain Rep Power more than this link?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Can anyone explain Rep Power more than this link?

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Cobretti, you are ridiculous. Axe, good on you for having the patience to put up with something like that.

Rylant
    There needs to be a condition put on this - and that's if Cobretti goes all Troll within the first three months after this "challenge" ends, Axe gets all of his rep back.

"Second Account" Cobretti will likely leave the boards after the month never to return.

Dobber Sports Deity

Does anyone seriously look at that and use that as a baseline for fantasy hockey knowledge around here?

The only crappy thing that I would miss IF i do lose it (I doubt I will) will be the fact that if I start at zero, that limits my ability to send rep out to others who contribute around here. I dont care about it for people thinking I am knowledgeable. I like the fact I have so much so that means I can help others by rewarding them as well.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Does anyone seriously look at that and use that as a baseline for fantasy hockey knowledge around here?

The only crappy thing that I would miss IF i do lose it (I doubt I will) will be the fact that if I start at zero, that limits my ability to send rep out to others who contribute around here. I dont care about it for people thinking I am knowledgeable. I like the fact I have so much so that means I can help others by rewarding them as well.
    Sort of... If I don't know a poster, maybe I'm brand new or returning after a time off from the site (detox if you will) and I get a post from you and 100+ rep points and an opposing post from Cobrerti/Grendle... And his -3 (plus some negative rep..all
    In a matter of 105 posts over a year...I'm probably going to apply some leeway to the guy with the better resume. I can only assume that was Dobber's intention. In an open forum it's nice to know who the "leaders" are...which is soon determinable by just being here. Pretty clear who is knowledgeable and leads by example.

That said...bold prediction of my own... Ready for this conspiracy theory???
    Axeman IS Cobtetti and these past two weeks have just been an elaborate plan to teach all of us a moderators lesson on anti-trolling and respecting each other's differing points of view!

A classic after school special!

How's that for some a Scooby Do sleuthing?

So what exactly are the parameters of this bet? I've lost track?

Dobber Sports Stud

Havana basically hit the nail on the head. Even now, I find myself unfamiliar with some names popping up in the threads even though they have thousands of posts. People who are likely much more active during the season I presume, while I've settled in just this summer.

Regardless, it just helps in providing some sort of precedent and rock behind what some people say around here. Quick, over inflated example:
    I post a thread about Nyquist v Tatar for 2014-2015. A guy with 50 posts tells me Tatar will play first line with Datsyuk AND Zetterberg, while Dakkster tells me Nyquist will see better minutes and Tatar will be on the 3rd line. If I'm a new poster, it gives me more peace of mind knowing that the guy with 50 posts likely has no clue what he's taking about.

That being said, I don't discriminate. Everyone had 0 posts at some point, so all knowledge and point of views is valuable and should be taken into consideration!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Havana basically hit the nail on the head. Even now, I find myself unfamiliar with some names popping up in the threads even though they have thousands of posts. People who are likely much more active during the season I presume, while I've settled in just this summer.

Regardless, it just helps in providing some sort of precedent and rock behind what some people say around here. Quick, over inflated example:
    I post a thread about Nyquist v Tatar for 2014-2015. A guy with 50 posts tells me Tatar will play first line with Datsyuk AND Zetterberg, while Dakkster tells me Nyquist will see better minutes and Tatar will be on the 3rd line. If I'm a new poster, it gives me more peace of mind knowing that the guy with 50 posts likely has no clue what he's taking about.

That being said, I don't discriminate. Everyone had 0 posts at some point, so all knowledge and point of views is valuable and should be taken into consideration!
    We are not talking about post counts though. Rep power, top right hand corner. Different thing all together.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

We are not talking about post counts though. Rep power, top right hand corner. Different thing all together.
    More often than not I find there's a direct correlation between the two. Rep power to me shows consistency and clarity combined with solid hockey knowledge & advice. I'll leave my original made up story in tact, but I'll sub it to say Dak's rep power vs a guy with 0 rep power

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post

Dakkster has no idea what he's talking about. Why would you ever listen to him Petegreg21

(see what I did there... my 25 vs Dakkster's 66 ... I may very well be right about Dakkster's incompetance, however his 66 rep points suggest to Petegreg that Havanablast is nothing but a shit disturber right now).

Unless I TOTALLY don't get Rep points.

To me... Posts are posts... and they are universal. Call of Doughty can have 500 of his 1900 posts in the "Tell me about your favorite chick flick" thread but not sure how much rep is being tossed around there.
    Yet he has 27 Rep points which tells me he's only impressed a few more people than me

IN the end...I get it...it's a stat that needs to be taken with a grain of salt, much like +/- in hockey. But it's still a stat and some of us use that to gauge/judge the quality of some of the replys. Will it give a true illustrationg to quality? Perhaps not... but Cobretti's single digit rep (hope to be back to 0 eventually) will help me flush out that crap that clouds the waters of this open forum.

There's my take in a nut shell.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

plus...the more rep points one gets... the cooler pictoral representation they get. I mean really...who wants to listen to Petegreg... he's merely a padawan. But Axeman...you are THE GREAT ONE!

It's symbolic...nothing more than that... (and I LIKE IT!)

The Wolverine

I rarely look at rep because often I forget it's there. However, I've been around awhile so I already know of members that I trust and those I would like to hear from more often.

Another thing that stands out to me is more to do with how they answer, rather than just the answer itself. There's been a few posters over my time that stand out as often giving an answer clearly and well written. It doesn't have to be a novel or perfect sentence structure, but it makes me think that this person has given thought to their answer. Could it be more useful than others? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. However if I see it often then I tend to go back and read their answers more frequently if I'm interested in the subject matter. Also, some of these people are not on the forums often, but I do remember them.

Back to rep, I can understand the value but to me it doesn't really matter. The additional, optional comments are much more important to me, as it shows their appreciation to something I said, and I can show appreciation to someone else. That makes it more personal and it one small way helps grow the community.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm just happy to make Cobretti an honest member of this forum instead of being an argumentative doh-headed troll like he's been lately. Funny part is, he thinks he's going to win something by watching me ask Dobber to reduce my rep to zero (assuming he can behave for the month). He doesn't win anything, everyone else here does.

As I mentioned earlier, my only regret is not getting more of the more recent trolls on here into the same bet.

Keep it up Cobretti! So far so good for everyone!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    To me... Posts are posts... and they are universal. Call of Doughty can have 500 of his 1900 posts in the "Tell me about your favorite chick flick" thread but not sure how much rep is being tossed around there.
    Yet he has 27 Rep points which tells me he's only impressed a few more people than me
    Was this a shot 500 is pushing it there bud and I don't like chick flicks.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Star

I think that the thing that I don't like about Cobretti's argument, is the Straw Man Fallacy that it seems to be based on. He seems to contend that there is only 2 possible levels of importance that the rep system can have to somebody. 1) The rep system here is the single most important thing in the world. It is more important than your job, your family, your friends, love, happiness and your health. You would rather die, than lose all of your rep. 2) The rep system here is one of the most unimportant things in the world. You are racking your mind to come up with something that you give a shit less about. Somebody tells you, that a man you do not know named Fred who lives in Russia, is wearing black socks today. That is how important the rep system here is. It just simply doesn't matter. Cobretti then seems to argue that if the rep system is more important to you than Fred and his black socks, that he is right, and all of a sudden the rep system here is the most important thing in the world to you.

Is there no middle ground here? To me, Axe, your 113 rep points are a symbol of how much you are respected in a fairly tight knit group of people who tend to share a passion for hockey. Is it as important as love or your happiness? Of course not. Can it not still be more important to me than Fred's black socks? It is more important to me, than to just want to throw it away to prove a point, because somebody like Cobretti told everyone that it was that most important thing in the world to me. If I am not willing to throw it away because Cobretti says I should, then he is right? Give me a break...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

I think that the thing that I don't like about Cobretti's argument, is the Straw Man Fallacy that it seems to be based on. He seems to contend that there is only 2 possible levels of importance that the rep system can have to somebody. 1) The rep system here is the single most important thing in the world. It is more important than your job, your family, your friends, love, happiness and your health. You would rather die, than lose all of your rep. 2) The rep system here is one of the most unimportant things in the world. You are racking your mind to come up with something that you give a shit less about. Somebody tells you, that a man you do not know named Fred who lives in Russia, is wearing black socks today. That is how important the rep system here is. It just simply doesn't matter. Cobretti then seems to argue that if the rep system is more important to you than Fred and his black socks, that he is right, and all of a sudden the rep system here is the most important thing in the world to you.

Is there no middle ground here? To me, Axe, your 113 rep points are a symbol of how much you are respected in a fairly tight knit group of people who tend to share a passion for hockey. Is it as important as love or your happiness? Of course not. Can it not still be more important to me than Fred's black socks? It is more important to me, than to just want to throw it away to prove a point, because somebody like Cobretti told everyone that it was that most important thing in the world to me. If I am not willing to throw it away because Cobretti says I should, then he is right? Give me a break...

Rylant
    Well said... now back to the train-wrecking!
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Deity

Rylant
    He still has to get through the month. Honestly, I hope he does. It will simply prove my point that he CAN be a productive member of this tight knit community we all love and not just come on here and argue. I will worry about the rest of the foolishness once we get to that point.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Well said... now back to the train-wrecking!
    I know the perfect man for the job!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust