Page 52 of 310 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Blue Jays

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Toronto Blue Jays

I just read an entire article by Richard Griffin regarding the Buehrle/Stroman situation and he seems to be very adamant too that the Jays are mishandling and disrespecting Mark Buehrle. I'm having a hard time now deciphering if this is just the old boys club doing their usual thing and blindly supporting the vet, or if there is more to the story that guys like Griffin and Zaun are privy to that we're not.

This whole situation actually perplexes me because I don't understand why these guys are going to bat so hard for Buehrle. I don't feel like he's been slighted here in any way and if anything I feel like it's a compliment that they want to keep him fresh for the playoffs. I mean the alternative is to run him into the ground in the regular season and have him completely out of gas in the playoffs where you replace him with someone else, isn't that more disrespectful? :S

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I just read an entire article by Richard Griffin regarding the Buehrle/Stroman situation and he seems to be very adamant too that the Jays are mishandling and disrespecting Mark Buehrle. I'm having a hard time now deciphering if this is just the old boys club doing their usual thing and blindly supporting the vet, or if there is more to the story that guys like Griffin and Zaun are privy to that we're not.

This whole situation actually perplexes me because I don't understand why these guys are going to bat so hard for Buehrle. I don't feel like he's been slighted here in any way and if anything I feel like it's a compliment that they want to keep him fresh for the playoffs. I mean the alternative is to run him into the ground in the regular season and have him completely out of gas in the playoffs where you replace him with someone else, isn't that more disrespectful? :S
    You're misunderstanding the entire situation.

They are not doing this to keep Buehrle "fresh" for the playoffs. They are giving his spot to Stroman because they don't have confidence in Buehrle.

The very first thing out of Buehrle's mouth after the last game is that he felt fine, and he didn't need the 7 days rest. He said he was ready to go 2 games before that. In other words, he was sending a direct message to management that he feels fine, so don't use that an excuse to bench him for Stroman - which they ultimately did anyway. This is absolutely a slight to Buehrle... and who knows what it might lead to in terms of playoff rotation implications.

Why might it piss off some guys in the locker room? For the same reason that you would be pissed off if your best friend on the team, who's been playing with you all year, who you've bonded with, who helped get you to where you currently are, suddenly gets benched for a hyped up young prospect. It's not hard to understand from an emotional standpoint.

A lot of people simply live by the philosophy that you "dance with the person who brought you". I tend to agree with that philosophy in most areas of life, but when it comes to professional sports and especially do-or-die situations like this, in my opinion you've gotta make the decision that gives the team the best chance to win, even if it's at the expense of doing what's "right".

A few weeks ago it may have sounded crazy, but if Stroman lights it up, and Estrada continues his amazing play, then Buehrle could conceivably end up as the 5th guy on that rotation.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Oh, well that explains it. I didn't know that Buehrle made those comments.

This is interesting then.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hutchinson with another bad game.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hutch is just brutal... thank god we won't be using him in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    If they benched Buehrle in favor of Stroman without talking to Buehrle first... that's complete bs.
    I think it's a non-issue if they just give him the respect of a phone call.

Gibbons has a bit of a history with not handling his veterans properly. I never did agree with him confronting Hillenbrand the way he did. Sure, Hillenbrand was an idiot, but going after him down the tunnel accomplishes what?

Not talking to Buehrle first is a slap in the face for sure... but I hope the whole thing is being overblown.
    Pretty sure this being overblown by the media. Jays would've told him.
    but I don't even care these are millionaires. Suck it up either way. And well u r at it give Hutch a big kick in the n.....
    im sick and tired of him!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Goddamn I'm pissed my cable and internet conked out yesterday and Rogers can't send anyone at a convenient time before tomorrow. Was really looking forward to catching tonight's game. Price against Severino should be an awesome pitching duel. Biggest series of the season right here.

And yeah, Hutch in Fenway...LOL. What I'm pretty bummed about is Delabar getting lit. Always had a soft spot for the guy and thought the organization treated him horribly.

Dobber Sports Titan

When Hutch couldn’t get a ball past players in the 1st inning and they just fouled them off, I knew it was going to be a bad game. It’s almost like with Hutch you have to pull him after 2 innings, no matter the score or pitch count. He’s getting a bit ridiculous when it comes to his away starts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

Easy money last night boys!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Easy money last night boys!!!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

Would you rather see the Jays win, or would you rather make stacks?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Would you rather see the Jays win, or would you rather make stacks?
    Ideally both... I've got $500 riding on them to take the division.

Even if it were easy money (and I agree last night it was), I could never bet against my team. Been in that position sooo many times with the Leafs over the years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Ideally both... I've got $500 riding on them to take the division.

Even if it were easy money (and I agree last night it was), I could never bet against my team. Been in that position sooo many times with the Leafs over the years.
    What were the odds of the division bet?

Dobber Sports Ninja

What were the odds of the division bet?
    No odds, personal bet between a colleague and I. He's a die-hard Yanks fan, so we're just betting straight up.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Tonight's game sounds like it might be postponed, forecast in NY calls for rain and more rain throughout the day since last night. Thank you baseball gods.