11 68.75%
  • St. John's NL

5 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where Should I move too?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Where Should I move too?

As a Montreal native, I would move to St-John in a heartbeat; especially if you want to bartend! Victoria is beautiful, but as others have pointed out, the high population count and the cost of living are 2 big no no's if I were planning a 6 month stay.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Guru

If you can afford it then Victoria/Vancouver Island without doubt. Nothing like standing on the west coast of the island and watching the sun go down over the Pacific with the mountains behind you and nothing but ocean in front of you until Asia.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Calgary is pretty industrial. The only thing it's good for is making money in construction and oil & gas.
    I lived in Calgary and would live there over most other places in Canada.

Dobber Sports Ace

I currently live in Victoria.. and I wouldnt change it for anywhere else.
    It never gets below -10 degrees, barely snows.. if it does, maybe 2 inches tops for a couple of days if that?
    in the summer its usually around 20 degrees, and the odd hot streak where it gets in the upper 20's. Less rain then vancouver.

yeah buying a house is expensive, but there are plenty of rentals if you are only planning for a short time anyways. you can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment in town for 700ish.
    Victoria has a ridiculous number of restaurants and I can suggest some good ones for you to apply for.

If you end up staying here, there is a growing tech sector, tourism, university and local and provincial government jobs.

If you are looking for some adventure and a small town.. go to tofino.. work at one of the many resorts.. live on the beach, surf every day, (I have seriously considered doing this).
    or live in victoria, travel around the island or over to vancouver and whistler etc, or hop on a ferry and check out seattle, or the oregon coast.

its pretty tough to beat, just my .2 cents.
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

How good are you with a shovel? With ~200-400 cm of snow annually in Nfld, my vote would be left coast.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I grew up in Victoria and its a wonderful place to live. Always near the ocean, clean air and friendly people. Definitely get a nice sense of community wherever you go.
    That being said it is quite expensive to live there. A simple bungalow in a suburb can fetch anywhere from 500,000-600,000 dollars. Victoria is hugely overpopulated and as a result prices are sky high for real estate.
    Job opportunities are minimal as well. I had to move due to a lack of job offers and opportunities.
    If you can afford it, Victoria is awesome to live in, even a smaller community like Langford 15 minutes up the highway is growing and would be a nice place to live as well.
    Mostly true, except for the sense of community - people here are too private and stuck in their own little groups, making it difficult for newcomers. As for Langford, if you want to spend 45-60 minutes commute into Victoria each way for work then I recommend avoiding Langford.
    I live in Victoria and have not been to St John's, thus I cannot vote for either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I lived in Calgary and would live there over most other places in Canada.
    You lived in cgy? what made you leave? to dawson of all places lol! See I started out north, and made my way down south to Lethbridge, and now Calgary. Love southern AB a lot better than northern (and I consider Dawson/GP pretty much same, except GP bigger I believe?)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    If you can afford it then Victoria/Vancouver Island without doubt. Nothing like standing on the west coast of the island and watching the sun go down over the Pacific with the mountains behind you and nothing but ocean in front of you until Asia.
    I know I am nitpicking here, but from Victoria you are not directly facing the ocean, as there is that little loop around the southern part in the way. Secondly, STRAIGHT west would be Russia, not Asia

again, just nitpicking cause I'm bored lol

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    You lived in cgy? what made you leave? to dawson of all places lol! See I started out north, and made my way down south to Lethbridge, and now Calgary. Love southern AB a lot better than northern (and I consider Dawson/GP pretty much same, except GP bigger I believe?)
    Graduated from University of Calgary. Lived there from 1996 - 2004. So, it's been 10 years since I have been away. I still head up there for work a couple times a year it seems, but the "oh I'm home!" feeling has finally gone away. I moved up to Dawson Creek for work and doubt I'll leave any time soon. It has its downsides like any city but I've settled in nicely with my family. Dawson Creek isn't anywhere near as busy as Grade Prairie or Fort St John (yet) which is really nice.

Banned

ya I hear ya. I remember being in Dawson in approx. 2003. Knew someone who worked at Louis Dreyfous, so was there a couple times. And I had a roommate while in GP who was from Dawson. I just remember it being small! lol. Definitely hated living in GP. Rednecks there. Didn't like the mentality at all, so was glad to move away!

I don't mind Calgary, definitely my favorite place I lived in in Canada, altho Lethbridge was nice as well. But we are thinking of moving just outside the citylimits. If it was up to me though, and I will have a tough time selling the wife on this one, I would move outside the country. Back to Holland or perhaps Australia or New Zealand somewhere.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I've been to St.John's and I loved it, beautiful place.. I'm going to guess that the winters in Victoria are a lot milder..

East side or West side?? Tough decision for you!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

BC
    East coast hockey games would air at 4pm.
    West coast hockey games would air at 7pm,

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    BC
    East coast hockey games would air at 4pm.
    West coast hockey games would air at 7pm,
    Hahaha, I do appreciate the 10pm start times though.

Dobber Sports Master

I know I am nitpicking here, but from Victoria you are not directly facing the ocean, as there is that little loop around the southern part in the way. Secondly, STRAIGHT west would be Russia, not Asia

again, just nitpicking cause I'm bored lol
    Very true... looking west you get the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. Not that that is a bad thing as its rain shadow accounts, in part, for Victoria's dry climate.

One plus for Victoria is that you save money on power by virtue of not really needing heat or A/C. I haven't had the heat on in my apartment in 3 yrs... and the windows are almost never closed.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Wolverine

Secondly, STRAIGHT west would be Russia, not Asia
    Just nitpicking but that part of Russia is in Asia.

To the OP, I've never been to either but from someone who's moved from 'home' and travelled around a bit (Europe), I just want to wish you good luck and take it all in. You'll love it.