Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada edges out Lebanon

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Canada edges out Lebanon

Canada is now 118th in the FIFA rankings, just ahead of Lebanon. Central African Republic and Sudan better be looking over the shoulders - we're coming for them!

Seriously, why does this country even bother with the sport. So pathetic at it...hahah.

Banned

Default Re: Canada edges out Lebanon

ya I mean, I get the hockey thing. But there is NO reason Canada is 118th in the world.

Somewhere in the 40-50 range would be more appropriate I think

Dobber Sports Ninja

Well there is a reason. We suck at soccer and the majority of people don't even care that we suck at it, so there's not a lot of will to change it.

Banned

I understand that, but still.

118 is pretty ridiculous. I wonder if that is the lowest ranking by a "western" country or not.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Man... that's incredible.
    When I was growing up... soccer was still really popular.

In my town outside of Windsor, Ontario... I'd say as many kids played soccer as hockey.
    I guess a half million kids playing hockey makes a country a hockey powerhouse... and
    a half million kids playing soccer makes a country... 118th in the world!

LOL.
    (btw. "Half million" just a guess... probably very wrong.)

Dobber Sports Star

Having MLS teams in Canada should help kids get an interest in the game. That should us suck less in the world rankings at some point.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Soccer is attracting many youth to its ranks, but there are admitted administrative structural problems in Canada. There is no organized focus to development and coaching, and as a result ... we are 118! Compare that to the organization of Hockey Canada. Do that with soccer and we could do some damage in 20 years ... you need a generation for it to come to fruition.
    12 Team Keeper, Cap 69.0mil, 12f,6d,2g 8Farm - use Cap Hit
    Scoring G/A/PPG/PPA/SHG/SHA/Hits/GWG/OTG/Shots/-PIM
    F-Giroux/N.Backstrom/Voracek/Getzlaf/Granlund/Soderberg/Toffoli/Hertl/Bennett/Shaw/Zibanejad/Etem
    D-Pietrangelo/Keith/Kronwall/HLindholm/Donovan/Hamilton/CMurphy
    Farm - Dumba/Maatta/Strome/Huberdeau/Teravainen/Kapanen/Honka/Koekkoek
    G-Price/Bernier

14 Team Keeper, Cap 64.3mil,Pts only, 9f,4d,2g
    F-Malkin/Benn/Backstrom/Voracek/Nichushkin/Teravainen/Kucherov/Stastny/Foligno/Coyle/Forsberg/
    D-Hedman/Reilly/Goligoski/B.Smith/Murphy/Ellis
    G-Rinne/Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    Having MLS teams in Canada should help kids get an interest in the game. That should us suck less in the world rankings at some point.
    It takes a long time though. In the NBA, you're seeing a lot of young Canadian talent drafted high in the NBA now. You can attribute a lot of that to Vince Carter and the Raptors. But that took about 20 years to get to this point.

If soccer does the same, you're still looking at a long wait.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    It takes a long time though. In the NBA, you're seeing a lot of young Canadian talent drafted high in the NBA now. You can attribute a lot of that to Vince Carter and the Raptors. But that took about 20 years to get to this point.

If soccer does the same, you're still looking at a long wait.
    Selfishly I hope Canada stays at 118. Keep the best athletes in hockey - a sport I actually care about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Selfishly I hope Canada stays at 118. Keep the best athletes in hockey - a sport I actually care about.
    that is not a smart stance.

You should want Canada to excel in all sports they represent. This results into money for the country, and sporting programs. This could benefit your kids from playing sports and what not.

Holland finishing 3d at the wold cup, they made just under 20 million bucks for that. There is much more to it than athletes. Canada will always be good in hockey, you should want Canada to be at everything.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's more than just a "care" problem. It's a geographical issue. It's the same reason Canada isn't really a powerhouse golf country, or a powerhouse tennis country. The weather for a large portion of the year dictates we can play soccer outdoors what...4 months? 5 maybe? I realize there are indoor training facilities, and indoor soccer and such, however only the most dedicated players use those avenues. Compare to the US or central/southern american teams, or southern US teams, where you can go outside anytime you like with friends and pick up a game, it becomes harder. Part of it is the "care factor" (Germany, Holland, France etc. all have winter weather), but soccer is more of a culture in Europe than it is anywhere in North America, yes including Mexico. Basketball, Baseball, Football, and Hockey dominate the North American landscape because those are the popular and traditional sports of this particular continent.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    that is not a smart stance.

You should want Canada to excel in all sports they represent. This results into money for the country, and sporting programs. This could benefit your kids from playing sports and what not.

Holland finishing 3d at the wold cup, they made just under 20 million bucks for that. There is much more to it than athletes. Canada will always be good in hockey, you should want Canada to be at everything.
    I care very little about any sport other than hockey. Tennis I enjoy, and a few others, but soccer is way down that list.

If soccer took away from the ability for Canada to be the best at hockey (which it might) then I would want soccer to stay down where it is, that's all. The finances of sports doesn't impress me at all. It's going to cost any country/state/province/city way more money than it brings in, so financial reasons never cut it for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I care very little about any sport other than hockey. Tennis I enjoy, and a few others, but soccer is way down that list.

If soccer took away from the ability for Canada to be the best at hockey (which it might) then I would want soccer to stay down where it is, that's all. The finances of sports doesn't impress me at all. It's going to cost any country/state/province/city way more money than it brings in, so financial reasons never cut it for me.
    that's pretty silly doulos.

you would rather have Canada #1 at hockey at all time, and suck at everything else, vs. Canada being top 5 in hockey at all times vs good at other sports too.

I always relate it to the old race car games

do you pick a car with high speed and no handling, and you crash all the time or do you pick a car that has a little bit less speed but handles well

I don't buy for one minute you don't want Canada to be good.

Holland sucks at hockey and curling, but I would love for us to be part of that as well. I want my country to be part of all major sport tourneys, even cricket if that was the case.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    that's pretty silly doulos.

you would rather have Canada #1 at hockey at all time, and suck at everything else, vs. Canada being top 5 in hockey at all times vs good at other sports too.
    Absolutely, 100% yes. You don't share that opinion, but you care more about other sports. I don't.

Banned

that's not per se true.

I love my hockey just as much as the next guy here.

but I want my country to excel at ALL sports, as best as we can.

I am happy when Holland wins field hockey world cup, or a tour de france stage, or swimming stuff, or volleyball, or whatever the case may be.

To say you want your country only to be good at one sport, in MY opinion, is shallow thinking.

But hey if that makes you happy good for you lol.

I think Canada could benefit from having powerhouses in other sports as well though