Thread: Can The Flyers Pass The Rangers?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Can The Flyers Pass The Rangers?

After finally winning at MSG for the 1st time since 2011, and an array of changes in New York, can the Flyers pass the Rangers in the standings next season?

http://thehockeywriters.com/metropol...s-the-rangers/

Banned

Default Re: Can The Flyers Pass The Rangers?

Poll: Can this guy write an article that is not titled with a "close-ended question"?

YES

NO

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    Poll: Can this guy write an article that is not titled with a "close-ended question"?

YES

NO
    I like them. Stirs debate, and often the question is something that I haven't thought of or been thinking about. Perfect for summer months. And "yes" I think the Flyers can. Probably not. But possible. The Rangers were playing a tad over their heads last season.

And here we have two teams who sucked for the first 10 games to the point where many of us in the forum wrote both of them off for playoffs. I remember getting a lot of panicked emails from fantasy owners of players on those teams
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

YES

NO
    Help me understand how it's close-ended. They'll either win the season series, or they won't. They'll either finish ahead of New York, or they won't. I don't understand what other options are being limited.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    Help me understand how it's close-ended. They'll either win the season series, or they won't. They'll either finish ahead of New York, or they won't. I don't understand what other options are being limited.
    LOL, you're the writer, shouldn't you know this already?

A close ended question is one that can be answered with a single set of limited options, often in your case just "Yes" or "No". Your question was:

Can The Flyers Pass The Rangers?

my answer: No

see? it doesn't elicit discussion or prod the responder to provide more information beyond that, it doesn't stir the pot, it doesn't create debate, it just lands flat, that's the problem.

Maybe try to create some interest and controversy with your title by bringing part of your argument into the title, like "Lundqvist finally shows his mortality, the Flyers may be able to capitalize on that this season", that's totally off the top of my head and far from ideal but I guarantee you it would elicit some strong arguments on both sides, do you see?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

LOL, you're the writer, shouldn't you know this already?

A close ended question is one that can be answered with a single set of limited options, often in your case just "Yes" or "No". Your question was:

Can The Flyers Pass The Rangers?

my answer: No

see? it doesn't elicit discussion or prod the responder to provide more information beyond that, it doesn't stir the pot, it doesn't create debate, it just lands flat, that's the problem.

Maybe try to create some interest and controversy with your title by bringing part of your argument into the title, like "Lundqvist finally shows his mortality, the Flyers may be able to capitalize on that this season", that's totally off the top of my head and far from ideal but I guarantee you it would elicit some strong arguments on both sides, do you see?
    While I appreciate the words of Dobber, I'll take your thoughts into future consideration. The only thing, though, is that it's a 7-part series that limits the title.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    While I appreciate the words of Dobber, I'll take your thoughts into future consideration. The only thing, though, is that it's a 7-part series that limits the title.
    Look buddy, I don't mean any offense or anything, putting yourself out there in an article on the internet is hard I'm sure, it was just something I noticed is all.
    Maybe if it's a 7 part series you give it a main title that's not even a question, like "Rangers vs Flyers in 2015" (that's boring I know, but stick with me), then in each part of the series you ask a provocative open-ended question on the matchup between the two you know what I mean? I guarantee you will get more traction

I'll give you a simple example I can recall:

close-ended: "Did you enjoy your vacation?"
    open-ended: "What did you do on your vacation?"

which one makes the person talk more?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Look buddy, I don't mean any offense or anything, putting yourself out there in an article on the internet is hard I'm sure, it was just something I noticed is all.
    Maybe if it's a 7 part series you give it a main title that's not even a question, like "Rangers vs Flyers in 2015" (that's boring I know, but stick with me), then in each part of the series you ask a provocative open-ended question on the matchup between the two you know what I mean? I guarantee you will get more traction

I'll give you a simple example I can recall:

close-ended: "Did you enjoy your vacation?"
    open-ended: "What did you do on your vacation?"

which one makes the person talk more?
    Thanks again. I know you were just giving constructive criticism, which I appreciate. The 7-part series is a look at each team's offseason's moves and how it'll effect the season series against the Flyers.

Banned

Sure they can, the Rangers are nothing special. People will overrate them going in to next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

The Rangers lost Brian Boyle and Anton Strallman to free agency, 2 important pieces in their success last year, and haven't replaced them yet. So yes, not only the Flyers but a lot of teams can pass the Rangers next year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To address the OP article.
    No, I don't think PHI is good enough to pass NYR. NYR is too solid defensively, PHI still questionable.
    I like NYR's team structure though. I think they are a lock for a top 4 finish in the East and have a good team for a playoff run again.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Sure they can, the Rangers are nothing special. People will overrate them going in to next year.
    100% agree with this.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    The Rangers lost Brian Boyle and Anton Strallman to free agency, 2 important pieces in their success last year, and haven't replaced them yet. So yes, not only the Flyers but a lot of teams can pass the Rangers next year.
    Who cares about those two, they lost BRAD RICHARDS! Tanking for McDavid is more like it