Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How Soccer Dives Look in Real-Life Situations

Banned

Default Re: How Soccer Dives Look in Real-Life Situations

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I enjoyed this response.

For the record, I do wish Canada was better at soccer, but when you live in an Arctic wasteland of a country where you have snow 8 months a year and pretty much all of your best athletes play hockey, well, you can kinda figure out why we aren't exactly a world power at the beautiful game. Oh, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    and what's your excuse for people in Africa that have no normal shoes or fields. Or for people in Iran that is filled with war stuff. They sure seemed to represent their countries.

That's just 2 examples.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    and what's your excuse for people in Africa that have no normal shoes or fields. Or for people in Iran that is filled with war stuff. They sure seemed to represent their countries.

That's just 2 examples.
    The best athletes in Canada do other things with their time and money - there's no denying that. Soccer is a fun summer sport, but not much beyond that for the vast majority of kids, and thus adults down the road.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I find soccer dreadfully boring and slow. Throw the diving on top of that and its probably the one sport I can't watch.
    Agreed

The only reason I casually pay attention to the World Cup is because it's soccer at its highest level with its greatest athletes. For the record, I really don't care how Team USA does. In another week I'll go on ignoring the sport for another 4 years.

By the way, love these flopping videos! But a lot of NBA flopping is comparable.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Soccer is a fun summer sport, but not much beyond that for the vast majority of kids, and thus adults down the road.
    You ever read Klosterman's thoughts on soccer. I find it rather amusing. http://www.thewire.com/entertainment...-soccer/24006/
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Probably a stretch to say the rest of the world. I'd bet that countries like Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and probably even Russia would rather have an Olympic gold medal for hockey. MURICA wants to win everything.

That being said, soccer is a universal sport, while hockey is not.
    Sweden - no
    Russia - no
    Czech - no
    Finland - probably yes
    Slovakia - maybe

If you've ever immersed yourself to European culture you'd know they are mad for it.

What a silly discussion, everybody is going to support their country, some get far more emotional and patriotic than others about it and that's fine. Each to their own. I can relate to what Dutch says, every time the All blacks get knocked out of the rugby World Cup I'm absolutely devastated!
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    You ever read Klosterman's thoughts on soccer. I find it rather amusing. http://www.thewire.com/entertainment...-soccer/24006/
    That idiots whole nonsensical diatribe is based off of some pathetic notion that somehow people who aren't good or into the big 4 US sports are inferior.
    He uses such a weak premise for an argument, I don't really care for soccer personally, but this guys a proper twonk, to be honest it just seemed like he's letting of steam, some soccer fan must have pissed him off.

To say "Every time I pull up behind a Ford Aerostar with a "#1 Soccer Mom" bumper sticker, I feel like I'm marching in the wake of the Khmer Rouge. " I mean come on, that's just a very weak attempt at humour, and sarcasm in journalism is simply poor journalism.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I enjoyed this response.

For the record, I do wish Canada was better at soccer, but when you live in an Arctic wasteland of a country where you have snow 8 months a year and pretty much all of your best athletes play hockey, well, you can kinda figure out why we aren't exactly a world power at the beautiful game. Oh, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    We've got a great women's team though!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

I...am your father.

Yeah....um...

Also, that video about diving in real life situations...what a humorous, lighthearted look at one of the few small blemishes on our beloved sport of soccer!

And I would similarly laugh at a video making light of hockey fights in real life situations and would certainly not waste my time posting anything negative about an attempt at humor...after all, the heart was in the right place - to make others laugh.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

PS - Dutch, I feel your pain. I was pulling for Holland. One of my closest friends is Dutch, and a diehard soccer fan even with no World Cup on. He and his son were decked in orange (complete with wigs) each game. I felt some of their pain! To lose in a shootout after all that work and effort to lose in a game of chance...if diving is one blemish on soccer, the shootout to determine a winner is another. And hockey shares that one

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Hmmm... yeah good point, I got sucked into an argument that is rather pointless.

It gave me a good chuckle
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    if diving is one blemish on soccer, the shootout to determine a winner is another. And hockey shares that one
    Hockey shares both - it's just that neither is nearly as bad. (and the rest is good enough to make up for a few blemishes )

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    That idiots whole nonsensical diatribe is based off of some pathetic notion that somehow people who aren't good or into the big 4 US sports are inferior.
    He uses such a weak premise for an argument, I don't really care for soccer personally, but this guys a proper twonk, to be honest it just seemed like he's letting of steam, some soccer fan must have pissed him off.

To say "Every time I pull up behind a Ford Aerostar with a "#1 Soccer Mom" bumper sticker, I feel like I'm marching in the wake of the Khmer Rouge. " I mean come on, that's just a very weak attempt at humour, and sarcasm in journalism is simply poor journalism.
    LOL

Kosterman is a pretty bright guy and is entertaining. He's a regular on the BS Report and is always interesting. Wouldn't call him a journalist.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    LOL

Kosterman is a pretty bright guy and is entertaining. He's a regular on the BS Report and is always interesting. Wouldn't call him a journalist.
    Never heard of him before, so didn't know... he's certainly got some opinions
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Hockey shares both - it's just that neither is nearly as bad. (and the rest is good enough to make up for a few blemishes )
    true - hockey disguises it better, too. In soccer they really do fall down far too often. I would like to see yellow cards and red cards given for diving. Even if it means calling actual trips as dives - in this case the end result justifies the few wrong calls.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Sweden - no
    Russia - no
    Czech - no
    Finland - probably yes
    Slovakia - maybe

If you've ever immersed yourself to European culture you'd know they are mad for it.

What a silly discussion, everybody is going to support their country, some get far more emotional and patriotic than others about it and that's fine. Each to their own. I can relate to what Dutch says, every time the All blacks get knocked out of the rugby World Cup I'm absolutely devastated!
    After honeymooning in New Zealand, I've grown an incredible love for the All Blacks and the Haka, and the Maori culture in general as well. I cheer for you guys in any sport after Holland, and in certain sports Canada (hockey not being one of them) So I am glad you guys feel the same about NZ rugby as we do soccer Can't wait for next year's rugby WC!