Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How Soccer Dives Look in Real-Life Situations

I...am your father.

Default How Soccer Dives Look in Real-Life Situations

Haha - yep

The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: How Soccer Dives Look in Real-Life Situations

This is the best
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

They need to do a Ryan Smyth version of this where a guy cuts his fingers off on a bandsaw at work, shovels them up into a baggie, goes to the lunchroom and 10 minutes comes back with them half-assed sewn back on to keep working.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

sometimes football players seriously get hurt though. warning NSFW, brutal injury happens almost right when the video starts:

Dobber Sports Star

hahaha that video is just epic! Nice find Dobber!
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Banned

this just show the narrow minded ness of North Americans. No question there is embellishment, but when you run full speed, the lightest touch could make a guy fall down.

I see just as bad stuff in hockey, but then it is "cool"

That, and in hockey they all wear protection. Try getting kicked in the ankles, or calves, or wherever with cleats, and without protection. See how you will flop over.

seriously this video is stupid

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    this just show the narrow minded ness of North Americans. No question there is embellishment, but when you run full speed, the lightest touch could make a guy fall down.

I see just as bad stuff in hockey, but then it is "cool"

That, and in hockey they all wear protection. Try getting kicked in the ankles, or calves, or wherever with cleats, and without protection. See how you will flop over.

seriously this video is stupid
    You're being far too defensive of something that doesn't need defending. Flopping and Diving is as much a part of soccer as running and kicking the ball. Once you embrace that fact it becomes far less of an issue.

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, I love soccer but dudes are definitely flopping around out there like it's an NBA game. Great sport, but lots of embellishment.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Diving in soccer has become the story of the boy who cried wolf. Unfortunately the amount of embellishment has gone too far, to a point where you never know if a guy is truly injured or not.

Case and point, we saw Neymar Jr of Brazil fracture a vertebrae and he got carried off in this little box (shown below) instead of being strapped in or anything. I attribute that to the medical staff not thinking he was being serious about the injury and rather was just embellishing it.

557c144211c9f61a580f6a7067005679.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

I enjoy watching soccer and think the beautiful game is quite simply that: beautiful. However, there are legitimate injuries (ask Brazil's Neymar and his fractured vertebra), but even the staunchest supporter of the game has to be disgusted by some of the antics we see on the field. And I don't like it anymore in hockey than I do in soccer, but at least in hockey you can receive a minor penalty for delay of game when you flop like you been hit by a sniper's bullet.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I enjoy watching soccer and think the beautiful game is quite simply that: beautiful. However, there are legitimate injuries (ask Brazil's Neymar and his fractured vertebra), but even the staunchest supporter of the game has to be disgusted by some of the antics we see on the field. And I don't like it anymore in hockey than I do in soccer, but at least in hockey you can receive a minor penalty for delay of game when you flop like you been hit by a sniper's bullet.
    in soccer you can get carded. It's up to the referee, not the player. That's a thing most people seem to overlook.

The ref has all the power in the world to give yellows and reds. If he fails to do so, don't blame the player who tries to take advantage for his team

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    in soccer you can get carded. It's up to the referee, not the player. That's a thing most people seem to overlook.

The ref has all the power in the world to give yellows and reds. If he fails to do so, don't blame the player who tries to take advantage for his team
    That's exactly the point though. The culture of diving is embedded right into the 'unwritten rules' of the game now. It's clear that no one really cares, so why even worry about it. It's a skill that the good players exploit and use as a part of their arsenal of soccer weapons.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The only thing missing is when the fouler going over and cradles the fouled-players head in his hands and says (unheard, to nobody): Stop the act you douchebag.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

in most cases the player usually does get tripped/pushed or whatever, but the embellishment to ensure the ref sees the call is ridiculous. there are a few NHL players that do it, there are more NBA guys that do it, but no major professional sport comes close to soccer when it comes to embellishment. it is literally part of the game, players will put on performances since even if they are awarded 1 extra free kick per game, that's all it could take to give your team the win. it won't stop until referees start consistently handing out yellow cards for embellishment, and i suspect in the next decade or so it will eventually get out of hand and be dealt with. until then it literally makes no sense not to dive/embellish, you put your team at a disadvantage if you play fair when everyone else isn't.

Dobber Sports Master

True enough, but how often does the referee give a card to the flopper?? I just think if that happened a little more often, then some of the real bad flops (see praba's video above) that look really bad would stop.

To be fair, here are the top "dives" in sports and it includes some hockey players.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5oY2Myd7I

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy