Thread: Are the Blue Jackets Playing With Fire?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Are the Blue Jackets Playing With Fire?

Talks between the Jackets and Ryan Johansen haven't gotten off to a glorious start. Columbus, however, claims they'll match any offer should Johansen sign an offer sheet. Are they enacting smart business skills, or flat out playing with fire?

http://thehockeywriters.com/are-the-...ing-with-fire/

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Are the Blue Jackets Playing With Fire?

An awful big sense of entitlement for someone who has had 1 solid season under his belt. A bridge deal isn't a bad thing, so not sure why he's so upset over it. However, I think Columbus will cave eventually and lock him up longterm. He is a very good player and they have a good thing going with that team.

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think they are playing with fire. They have a business to run and they will spend their money the best way they see fit. Johansen can draw all the lines in the sand he wants but as a 21 year old coming off his ELC, he really has limited bargaining rights. This whole "bridge contract seems like a slap in the face" is just a negotiating ploy.

I dont think Kekalainen is sweating too hard about the media blows being thrown his way; he knows a deal will get done. I can see a bridge deal getting done but probably a 3 year bridge and not a one or two year deal.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    Are they enacting smart business skills, or flat out playing with fire?
    Part of the "talk" game.
    Every NHL GM should say this... because it simply says two things:
    i) To the player: We value you as high as we can.
    ii) To the fans: We'll do everything possible to roster the best team we can.

What actually happens may be completely different... but a GM must say this "We. will. match."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think they are playing with fire. They have a business to run and they will spend their money the best way they see fit. Johansen can draw all the lines in the sand he wants but as a 21 year old coming off his ELC, he really has limited bargaining rights. This whole "bridge contract seems like a slap in the face" is just a negotiating ploy.

I dont think Kekalainen is sweating too hard about the media blows being thrown his way; he knows a deal will get done. I can see a bridge deal getting done but probably a 3 year bridge and not a one or two year deal.
    I agree with you. But I think those who are questioning whether Johansen will remain in Columbus because of this rift are receiving more of the blows lately.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Part of the "talk" game.
    Every NHL GM should say this... because it simply says two things:
    i) To the player: We value you as high as we can.
    ii) To the fans: We'll do everything possible to roster the best team we can.

What actually happens may be completely different... but a GM must say this "We. will. match."
    Unless they knew they can't match? Not saying this is the case for Kekalainen since the Jackets have plenty of cap space to say that. But judging from the contracts signed thus far in the free agent market, it's only a matter of time until Dustin Penner is no longer thee only player to sign an offer sheet that wasn't matched.