Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halak

The Great One

Default Halak

How do we feel about Halak on the island this year? Theyve made some strong signings as well as this one which theoretically should bolster the team as a whole. Are they ready to challenge for a playoff spot this year? Can Halak pull off 35+ wins?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Halak

They need to get better d. If not puck be in the net a lot.
    12 team, H2H points, limited keepers
    allowed 6 keeper players(PLAYER DRAFTED IN RDS 1-8 NOT ABLE TO BE KEEPER)
    Daily starts

16 man roster plus 1 IR
    start 6 forwards,4 d, 2 goalies

pts: G=3, A=2, DA=3, DG=5, +/-=1 GWG=1, OTG=2, OTA=1, PPG=2, PPA=1, SHG=3, SHA=1, HT=3, SHOOTOUT GOAL=1
    BLKS=.25, HITS=.25, MAJ=2

Goalie pts: WINS=5, SAVES=.20, GA=-1, SO=3
    SHOG SAVE=.50, SHOL=2

forwards: M.TKACHUK(k),MARCHAND(k),SCHEIFELE(k)
    BENN, GAUDREAU*, COUTURIER*
    d: M.RIELLY(k), JOSI*, MCAVOY*, ELLIS
    goalies :TALBOT* DEMKO MAF
    (k)=keeper
    *= no keeper eligibility
    bencH: KOPITAR* R. GRAVES ROBERTSON KREJCI
    IR E.PETTERSSON(k)

Banned

I wouldn't put too much stock in last season because they were without JT. I would look to see them return to the form they had the season before with a healthy JT, plus they've added some nice pieces in Grabovski and Kulemin that really helps fill out their top 9. And of course Halak is a much better goalie. I wouldn't be expecting 35 wins because that's reserved for the top 5 in the league but I wouldn't be surprised to see him middle of the pack somewhere around 30 if he can stay healthy

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Vanek! at the Disco View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in last season because they were without JT. I would look to see them return to the form they had the season before with a healthy JT, plus they've added some nice pieces in Grabovski and Kulemin that really helps fill out their top 9. And of course Halak is a much better goalie. I wouldn't be expecting 35 wins because that's reserved for the top 5 in the league but I wouldn't be surprised to see him middle of the pack somewhere around 30 if he can stay healthy
    I'll second this sentiment; 30 Wins would be decent, especially when I expect Halak to miss some games due to whatever injury the hockey gods are serving up at the buffet table this season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Top fifteen goaltender in wins with the Islanders this year if a) he can remain healthy and b) Tavares plays the whole season. Let's face it, the Isles were a playoff team two years ago with an aging Nabokov in goal. The Isles should be better with an improved lineup through free agency (Grabo and Kulemin), the coming of age of some of their prospects (Strome, G. Reinhart maybe) and Halak between the pipes.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Star

I could see Halak posting 30+ wins if he can manage to stay healthy this season.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Ace

IF Halak can play a Full season, I think 35 Wins is within the realm of possibility! In fact, I'll pick Halak as next season's Varlamov... historic BAB on a team that could surprise based on general perception - even among peers after their last season results.

He'll be peppered with shots (so major boost for saves formats), and that can really help some goalies get on a roll - I think he's one of those kind of personalities based on his performances in the playoffs for MTL and also with some consistency issues in STL - not enough shots in that system.

If he stays healthy.... watch out!
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Superstar

I like Halak as a goalie and think he is capable of good numbers on many teams. The real issue with him is staying healthy. He's worth the risk as long as you're able to implement a good backup plan.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like the Islanders to be a better team than last year, but even so, 30 wins is about as high as I'd be willing to go, and that represents an awfully big increase over last season for New York.

Halak has also only had one real season where he played over 50 games, and he ended up with 27 wins then (in 57 games). How is he going to hold up if they decide to push him with a high amount of starts? There's certainly some risk there, so 30 wins is as high as I'd go.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

30-35 wins if he stays healthy. Right now the isles have a log-jam at forward so expect a deal to bring in a solid stay at home type dman. That should round out the team pretty well. The isles problem last year was terrible PK, terrible face-offs which led to less possession and inconsistent goal-tending. They had the worst win % in the league when leading after 2 periods. Halak should help that with not letting in as many fluke goals. The overall team makeup should cut down on shots against (they were mid pack last year) since Grabovski and Kulemin should help drive possession (especially Grabovski with face-off wins). Isles should take a pretty nice step forward this year barring injury. Halak should be a solid number 2 fantasy goalie option.
    12 team H2H keeper league. Scoring: G, A, +/-, Hits, Blocked shots, PPP, SOG, GWG Goalie categories W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    Keep 13 players and 6 Farm players must be under 24 and played less then 100 NHL career games. If under 24 but played over 100 games they cannot stay on farm but do not have to be protected in off season.
    C: E. Malkin, R. Hartman, M. Zibanejad , J. Eriksson Ek M. Frost
    LW: C. Keller, R.Thomas A. Kempe
    RW: P.Kane, V.Tarasenko T. Bertuzzi
    D: K.Letang, A. Fox, M. Rielly, S. Theodore
    G: [/B], I.Shesterkin, F.Andersen, J. Oettinger

Farm: T. Foerster, A. Holtz, B. Clarke, Tyler Boucher, Lukas Dostal, Mavrik Bourque

Dobber Sports Star

I'd say 30+ wins with very decent peripherals. More shots than his usual 20-25 per night will inflate those stats. If he let up 2 or 3 goals last season, while facing 20 shots, it was brutal.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Monster

I'll say he'll play 65 games, get something in the 30-35 win range, .917, 2.7 GAA.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Should we Halak owners trade for Chad Johnson if we have room on our squads?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Star

If history holds true, it might not be a bad idea.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    I'll say he'll play 65 games, get something in the 30-35 win range, .917, 2.7 GAA.
    I agree with the starts and wins... but I think we are underrating Halak's skil.

This is the first time he won't be on a team where he faces a disproportionate amount of his shots on the PK. His save percentage will be healthy this year... I think your .917 suggestion is fair, but I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes .920

As for GAA, this is where I think we underestimate his skill. He will face a decent number of shots, but I would bank on his GAA being more around the 2.50 mark.