Thread: Should this Jeff Carter goal have counted?

I...am your father.

Default Should this Jeff Carter goal have counted?

Watch the clock...

Then again, it's in New York. Did they screw themselves?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Should this Jeff Carter goal have counted?

I assume you're referring to the clock holding at 18.9 at the start of the video? I'm pretty sure that was an NBC error, given once it starts moving again it goes from 18.9 to 14. You'd have to pull earlier in the clip to see how long it was frozen for and correlate that the jump matches up, but I'd suspect this is an NBC error not an MSG one.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah that didn't happen with the clock on CBC. Just a mistake by NBC. It was a good goal by a good margin.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I assume (in this modern computerized day) that the broadcast companies have software to digitally link to the arena time clock.
    Perhaps they still have to "flip the switch" to display the link... and maybe somebody turned off the switch, then turned it back on and it quickly matched to the running 14sec mark.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The issue with the frozen clock was NBC's and not the arenas (as evidenced by the fact that CBC had it right the whole time.)

The puck clearly goes in before the green light goes off to signal the end of the period so it's a good goal. I suspect even if the official time keeper was late in starting the clock the goal would count as the official score clock showed time left and the decision to start the game clock would rest with the timekeeping official.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR