Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Players who's value has DECREASED due to playoff performance

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Players who's value has DECREASED due to playoff performance

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Damn it, you're stealing my idea for next week. Now I'll have to come up with a whole new topic.

Here are some of my thoughts of guys not yet mentioned (except Crosby):

I was thinking Crosby, but I don't think his value has been impacted at all. He'll still be drafted first overall in most one-year leagues, and it's not like you could get him for cheaper than you could before the playoffs.

Desharnais and MaxPac haven't done much for Montreal.

Ray Whitney pretty much sealed his fantasy hockey career, even if he does come back for one more season (I think he was a healthy scratch for at least one of the games). So did David Legwand.

James Neal had just four points. I know people like to blame Crosby, but Neal was horrible for most playoff pools.

No one's really been mentioning him, but Andrei Markov has just five points so far, despite playing a ton of power play time and a ton of even strength ice time.

Mike Richards has just five points. He doesn't seem to be himself.

Lecavalier didn't show much in the first round.

Sorry Tom. Wasn't even thinking about that.

And as for the question about fantasy vs real life, I was thinking more towards real life but both work.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

With this thread... do we mean "decreased as future keeper value"?

If that's the point:
    *Niemi
    *R.Miller

Players don't devalue too much with one poor playoffs.
    But goalies - oh mercy, a trainwreck in the playoffs could be a huge mental shake and carry lasting effects

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sorry Tom. Wasn't even thinking about that.
    No worries. Now that I think about it, it probably would have been mostly a repeat of my career-playoff duds from a couple of weeks ago. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    With this thread... do we mean "decreased as future keeper value"?

If that's the point:
    *Niemi
    *R.Miller

Players don't devalue too much with one poor playoffs.
    But goalies - oh mercy, a trainwreck in the playoffs could be a huge mental shake and carry lasting effects
    I think it's better to keep it general. For example, Mike Richards. His value probably didn't take much of a hit in keeper leagues, but in one-year leagues, could we see his value drop come draft day because of the playoffs?

It's almost like the flip side of Pageau last summer. After a hot playoffs, his value skyrocketed and he was picked up in many leagues.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it's better to keep it general. For example, Mike Richards. His value probably didn't take much of a hit in keeper leagues, but in one-year leagues, could we see his value drop come draft day because of the playoffs?
    I disagree on value drops in one-year leagues.
    For example, don't cheat, off the top of your head... how many "disappointing skaters" can you name from last year's playoffs???

It seems a long-time ago.

In one-year leagues, people will pull up their draft boards and focus on regular season stats from the previous year (ONLY) and THAT is their basis.
    Even Fleury was still going top 30 top 40 in most one-year leagues this year after his craptastic 2012 AND 2013 playoffs.

Banned

For example, don't cheat, off the top of your head... how many "disappointing skaters" can you name from last year's playoffs???

In one-year leagues, people will pull up their draft boards and focus on regular season stats from the previous year (ONLY) and THAT is their basis.
    Even Fleury was still going top 30 top 40 in most one-year leagues this year after his craptastic 2012 AND 2013 playoffs.
    Jarome Iginla

Dobber Sports Guru

From last year, not many (the entire Pens roster against the Bruins stand out). But at my draft last September, it would have been fresher in my mind.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah if we're having a real serious discussion we should specify which "value" we're worried about decreasing. I'm never going to put much stock in one round of playoffs because it's so short and crazy things happen, I basically ignore playoff stats come draft time in my one year league. The reason I have Miller and Hiller as losing value is because they played themselves out of jobs in St. Louis/Anaheim respectively and those are two of the best goalie jobs in the game. If Miller had re-signed in St. Louis I would have had him top 5 in my one year league; now his value can only fall, same thing with Hiller going from Anaheim to most of his likely landing spots hurts his value.

I had Chara as slipping because he seemed a step slower in the playoffs. I don't watch many Bruins games during the regular season so got my first real glimpse of him during the playoffs, as I said I try not to overemphasize stats in a short term run but if I think its indicative of something larger (like Chara aging) then its something to consider more strongly.
    Finally on Crosby like I said he's still the best player in the world and my fantasy opinion of him hasn't changed one bit. Whether he won the cup or went out in the first round I still expect him to put up 100+ next season right in line with what he did this season. That pick was more my personal opinion on him generally. To put some numbers to it; to start the playoffs he was a 100 and the next player was a 95, Crosby's fallen to a 98. He's still the best player and the first guy I'd pick but he just gets the smallest dock after 2 poor playoffs in a row and 5 years with a Cup finals appearance.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Another note on players: rest.

Ev mentioned a guy like Iginla.
    OK - terrible last playoffs. (he was pretty awesome 1st round vs. NYI... but yes, not so hot 2nd/3rd round)

How'd he do this year?
    Struggled a bit first half. On FIRE in 2nd half, probably Iggy was a top 10 player 2nd half this year.

He finished (finished!!!) as the 25th overall best player in Yahoo! standard multi-cat.
    To open the season, he was slotted on the Yahoo! Draft Board at O-Rank slot #123.
    His ADP, per Yahoo!, was right there at 122.

In other words, everybody that pegged him lower due to a poor playoffs... completely lost out on Iginla as one of the best "value draft picks" in one-year leagues this year.

Banned

I only meant that was a player whose value decreased after a poor playoffs. Not that he continued to decrease.

Dobber Sports Titan

I can see how bad playoffs could influence a player’s draft position. If a player had a great break out yr and then disappears in the playoffs, which could lower his value. Nyquist for me going into the playoffs somewhat won me over as a possible KEEPER in a keep 6 rebuilding team. All through the regular season I questioned Nyquist real ability to keep scoring. I was hesitant to say he would keep up the goal streak when Dats and Zetterberg came back too. Then the last 2 weeks of the regular season I changed my mind and said he could be the real deal. After the playoffs, I wouldn’t go out of my way to draft or keep him.

But this is all personal thinking, which would be the only way a player would lower his value for the 2014-15 season in the 2014 playoffs. Chara has lowered for me, maybe not for you. Neimi to me hasn’t lowered his reg season fantasy value for me, but for you it could have.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Chara has lowered for me, maybe not for you.
    Chara for me as well, he was somewhat overused during the regular season and put up nice numbers, but broke down in the playoffs. You have to think his ice-time gets reduced a lot next year.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by petegreg21 View Post
    Out of curiosity is this question in terms of fantasy value or real life value?
    If we're talking fantasy, personally I don't put much stock in the playoffs; case in point, Bryan Bickell. Players values can fluctuate significantly in a series because of strategic play, match ups etc.

In terms of real life...
    1. Newfcollins picked a good one in Mike Richards. He basically plays like a zombie.
    2. Axe also made a good call with Lindback - the guy has been a disaster ever since he came to TB. The rise of Gudlevskis and the crossing of Vasilevski spells the end of Lindback in TB.
    3. Johan Franzen - 2 assists in 5 games, almost 19 mins/game. He had a great stretch in March but he has derailed quickly.
    4. Jakob Silfverberg - 2 goals in 13 games, 15 mins/game. Eeek.
    Mike Richards has been an absolute zombie all year. The playoffs are not helping him at all. He's just getting worse.

Chara wasn't great but he's getting older, so I'm not sure how much you can really expect from him. Missing Seidenberg was a huge loss. If Seidenberg wasn't injured, I'm not sure we have this conversation. Chara's great but he can't really do it on his own anymore.

Callahan was sort of a non-factor but 4 games on a new team probably don't hurt him all that much IMO.

David Desharnais might just be becoming one of the more frustrating fantasy owns. When he's on, he's a stud, but when he's cold, he's useless. Hurts MaxPac too. Wonder if MaxPac's value gets a little lower with Desharnais as his only real center with chemistry with him.

Brad Marchand. Just not the kind of difference maker I expected.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

No worries. Now that I think about it, it probably would have been mostly a repeat of my career-playoff duds from a couple of weeks ago. It's all good.

It's almost like the flip side of Pageau last summer. After a hot playoffs, his value skyrocketed and he was picked up in many leagues.
    What is Mike Richards value as a keeper? I can't seriously imagine it's that high anymore. He's been just getting worse statistically since he was traded, and this past year was awful. Playoffs were really just the icing on that particular cake of crap.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    What is Mike Richards value as a keeper? I can't seriously imagine it's that high anymore. He's been just getting worse statistically since he was traded, and this past year was awful. Playoffs were really just the icing on that particular cake of crap.
    treating him as a 45 point player would probably be the safest bet

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us, but someone who has been overlooked because his team is still in the playoffs is Dustin Brown.