Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Carey Price OUT for rest of series

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Carey Price OUT for rest of series

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I believe messages do need to be sent for clean or dirty hits on star players. It's the game inside the game.
    There are situations where a message needs to be sent, and a good place for one is the playoffs when your goalie takes contact. That being said, the onus is on the Montreal players to respond here, and the fact that they did not take action says a lot. To me, there is one of three scenarios at play here:

1) They don't have a lot of cohesiveness as a team.
    2) They don't have a lot of respect for Price.
    3) They didn't consider it that dangerous of a play.

I think it's pretty clear that 1 and 2 are not true, which leaves us with the 3rd scenario, that even the Montreal players did not consider it a reckless, dangerous or malicious play at the time. This is further evident in the lack of comments regarding the play until it was revealed that Price was hurt.

In addition to the above, I think a lot of it has to do with the Rangers style of play, which is in stark contrast to how the Bruins played. They sit back and play their game without engaging much in trash talk or intimidation, and I think Montreal is having a hard time really engaging in the series because of it after coming off the emotional series with Boston.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I disagree that Kreider's was a simple hockey play. It was a reckless hockey play, in my opinion. Yes, a hockey play, but much of it was reckless.
    I often see people use this quote, and sometimes I wonder if people really think about what that means. According to Oxford Dictionary, Reckless means "Heedless of danger or the consequences of one’s actions; rash or impetuous". I don't know about you, but I want ALL of my hockey players to play like this. The last thing I want is for hockey players to start second guessing whether or not they are going too hard. "Hrrmm... I should slow down, somebody might get hurt here..." If I am Kreider's coach, and I think for one second, that he didn't go at it with all he had, I bench him...

And I will tell you something else. I want my opponents to come at me with everything they have at all times, too. I don't want anybody to get injured, but sometimes these things happen.

I cannot stress this enough: Don't play soft... give it everything you have. It's why we watch.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Lucifer, Gretzky was off limits. Just ask semenko or mcsorley. No one could level him, clean hit or not, or they'd be dead.

Rylant, I take your point but that just means that if I'm coaching I'll order my players to head to the net with reckless abandon and if they happen to crash into the goalie and sever his spine in the process on some hockey play, so be it it's a contact sport. With that philosophy there won't be too many starting goalies left around. Heck, this "it's a dangerous game" thing didn't stop the NHL from making several changes to protect players, from adding helmets to removing pegs from the net to flexible boards and no-touch icing. So changes are natural.

Sure hitting is legal, so is scoring goals, but teams generally want to prevent these from happening.. So yeah if I'm coaching sure you can take hits at all my players but if you go after my stars or starting goalie you're gonna pay the price and I ain't the first nor the last with this philosophy. I know we disagree but if I had been on the ice for that kreider play I'd have gone right at him for that.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck