Thread: burns...back to D? still a Steed?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default burns...back to D? still a Steed?

Tons of talk about burns returning to D next year. Which makes him a bonafide Buffy light.

I have a chance at landing Carlson for my burns.

But the. I'm left with the decision... Who are my final 2 D keepers (per my cats) after Karlsson and OEL?

Pick 2:
    Ehrhoff
    Rielly
    Carlson
    Burns
    Gudas
    Bieksa

Thanks nation!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: burns...back to D? still a Steed?

The biggest question will be...how long does it take Yahoo to take away his RW tag? That flexibility is awesome if they go the Buff route and virtually never change his position eligibility.
    Capwise Hockey
    Reading Wolfdogs
    St. John's Shamrocks

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... in points-only pool, a D is slotted in a D... so Burns is now a 40-point D man.
    The good news is, at his salary, and with that decision, he's likely slotted to be the #1 D man for San Jose.
    And, if they don't bring anybody else in, looks like a nice boost to Demers numbers too.

In "Blocks" leagues, it's a pretty solid bonus to have the ability to slot a D in a RW-slot.
    I did this with Buff this year when he was still playing defense, because that was a whole ton of "Blocks" out of a RW slot = awesome category bonus.

It's a similar theory to putting a center in a wing slot in FOW leagues.

But... in straight-points, I do believe Burns should be considered in the 20-30th range of defensemen.
    And... this likely means he'll be overvalued by O-Rank slot on the opening Yahoo! board.

As for your keepers:
    1. Burns/Carlson
    2. Gudas or Bieksa

Honestly - your scoring is so weird, I struggle to do the math in my head and I'm not getting out a calculator!

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't forget, with Boyle gone, I have to think Burns gets to man the point on the top PP unit. This is a big boost for his value as well.

Dobber Sports Icon

As a forward, Burns was a low end first line RWer in terms of points. He was only playing 16 minutes per game and did not play on the first PP unit for most of the season. As a dman, Burns will be the Sharks #1 dman. This should lead to an extra 5 or 6 minutes played per game including the first PP unit of one of the best powerplays in the NHL. I feel that Burns will be one of the top 10 scoring dmen in the league next season. He would definitely be a keeper on my team.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with chuck. I was looking to ship him as RW in dynasty but when saw the news took him off the block. I feel his hits and blocks increase next year back on D, significant increase in blocks obviously. Also see him playing stretches of the year as a forward, especially in a case where the sharks have an injured forward or two.

GMHL Dynasty
    14 Team H2H 27-Pro/20-Farm
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 7BN, 4IR+
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG,SOG, HITS, BLKS
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Barkov, Malkin, Nielsen, Zibanejad
    LW: Lucic, Benn, Tatar, Fleischmann
    RW: Johansen, Tarasenko, Downie, Perron
    D: Doughty, Chara, Yandle, Edler, Seidenberg, Brodin, Wideman, Kulikov, Robidas
    G: Niemi, Nabokov, Mason, Emery, Reimer

Farm: Lazar, Nieto, Pulkkinen, Compher, Fiala, Vrana, Barber, Pastrnak, Larkin, McCann, Rattie, Rakell, Salomaki, Connelly, Keranen, Clendening, Borowiecki, Matheson, de Haan, Carrick, Gillies, Nilsson-KHL, Dansk, Stalock

Picks Owned:
    2015: 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity14 View Post
    I agree with chuck. I was looking to ship him as RW in dynasty but when saw the news took him off the block. I feel his hits and blocks increase next year back on D, significant increase in blocks obviously. Also see him playing stretches of the year as a forward, especially in a case where the sharks have an injured forward or two.
    His hits will decrease. He's no longer going in on the forecheck, which is where lots of hits occur. See Buff's hit stats on RW versus D for example. Obviously his blocks will jump up substantially, though.