Thread: Rangers off-season moves

Banned

Default Rangers off-season moves

Next to the Pens, the Rags seem to have one of the more challenging cap situations trying to keep key guys and bring in needed talent. Be interesting to hear you guys weigh in on the following:

Jagr: The Rags are offering him a one year deal, he wants a two year deal. Jagr wants to stay in NY but he does have a fat offer from the Russian League and while I haven\'t seen concrete terms on it, it is rumored to be in 8-10 million range (tax free of course .

Avery: He\'s already halfway out the door and expected to sign elsewhere, apparently the two sides are not even close (Avery wants 4mil, Rangers are thinking 2.5). Ironically he may wind up back in LA. I personally hate the guy but I think the Rags need him alot more than he needs them, they probably should have worked a little harder to get him to sign.

Shanny: Sather has him sitting in a hlding pattern until he figures out what he\'s going to do with the others. Not a bad plan really since I think Shanny wants to come back for at least one more season and is content to wait and see.

Straka: He\'s probably gone too though he has hinted that if Jagr resigns with the team he would be more inclined to do so as well.

Campbell: Sather has been granted exclusive early access to talk with Brian Campbell which makes it seem increasingly likely that he will let alot of these guys go so he can lock Campbell up to a long term contract. This makes it highly likely that they will pass on Rozsival since he just had hip surgery and will be a UFA.

There\'s also the distinct possibility that Sather lets all these guys walk to free up cap space and then signs Hossa and Campbell...that leaves some big holes remaining to fill though, be interesting to see how it shakes out

Dobber Sports Ninja

Without running the numbers, I don\'t know for sure if the Rangers could afford to sign both Campbell AND Hossa.

If they can afford it, they obviously should do it. Replacing Jagr, Straka, Rozsival and Avery with Hossa, Callahan, Campbell and Jämtin would be an improvement.

The Blueshirts are also losing Mara\'s $3M and Malik\'s $2.5M, plus Kasparaitis\' almost $3M is clear (although I don\'t think it affected their cap as he was in the minors).

It would be bold for Sather to sign both Hossa AND Campbell, but they would certainly be a contender next season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

The Comish wrote:
    Without running the numbers, I don\'t know for sure if the Rangers could afford to sign both Campbell AND Hossa.

If they can afford it, they obviously should do it. Replacing Jagr, Straka, Rozsival and Avery with Hossa, Callahan, Campbell and Jämtin would be an improvement.

The Blueshirts are also losing Mara\'s $3M and Malik\'s $2.5M, plus Kasparaitis\' almost $3M is clear (although I don\'t think it affected their cap as he was in the minors).

It would be bold for Sather to sign both Hossa AND Campbell, but they would certainly be a contender next season.
    And they\'d have 5 players costing 6.875 or more against their cap... Lundqvist, Drury, Gomez already make that much... and hossa and campbell will each sign at a MINIMUM of 7.5 million a peice imo...

I\'m not sure that \"bold\" is the word I\'d use...

I\'d probably go with \"stupid\" myself... but that\'s just me.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW