Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 defensemen in real life? Rep for help

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Top 5 defensemen in real life? Rep for help

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Except that he was't good enough to quarterback the Sens anywhere close to a playoff position this season. Karlsson is 100% the most skilled dman in the league, and by a fair margin IMO. That said, I don't think that being the most skilled necessarily equals being the best at a given position. Karlsson does not play a tradition defenceman's game, and I'm still of the opinion that having Karlsson as your #1 dman is not going to lend itself to team success or championship hockey. This was a rough year for the Sens, but in general, the 'best dman in the league' is not someone with a negative +/- and questionable advanced stats on a near-basement team.

so you're saying if karlsson was on the habs, and subban was on the sens, the bruins would be playing the sens tonight instead?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    so you're saying if karlsson was on the habs, and subban was on the sens, the bruins would be playing the sens tonight instead?
    I think the Bruins would probably be playing the Lightning if that were the scenario and the Ducks would maybe be drafting 12th instead of 10th.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    I'm saying there are many other things to take into consideration other than just pure skill when anointing someone 'the best' at their position. Karlsson is the best at generating offence at his position, but last time I checked that was only a small part of being a dman in the NHL.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Banned

I said highest level shiva blaster. Karlsson this year was not the same karlsson. He was still recovering from injury, and had some off ice issues.

regardless, weber finished in the negative and his team was worse. Really doesn't matter what your plus minus is when your team isn't a playoff team or great.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I said highest level shiva blaster. Karlsson this year was not the same karlsson. He was still recovering from injury, and had some off ice issues.
    Yup, I definitely concede that, but I still maintain my point about him playing a non-traditional d-man role that I do not think translates well to overall team success. Look at what all the elite dmen are doing in these playoffs, can you really picture Karlsson playing the necessary shut-down hockey on the opposing team's elite stars in a physical playoff environment? I have serious doubts.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Banned

Yup, I definitely concede that, but I still maintain my point about him playing a non-traditional d-man role that I do not think translates well to overall team success.
    Is bobby Orr not a traditional dman? When he is at his highest level he is definitely a traditional dman.

This is a 200 foot dman, plain and simple.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bobby Orr was big, tough as nails, and was physical. Karlsson is none of those things.

Banned

Bobby Orr was big, tough as nails, and physical. Karlsson is none of those things.
    He was very physical this year and before he entered the nhl he actually modelled his game off kronwall.

bobby Orr said he is the closest thing to bobby Orr in today's NHL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

He was very physical this year and before he entered the nhl he actually modelled his game off kronwall.

Lol, I could say that I modelled my game off of Kronwall...... it doesn't mean that I have the physical tools/size or mental makeup to play anything like Kronwall. I agree that he's the closest to Orr, but he's lacking a LOT of what #4 could do in his own end when it counted. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong, but I don't see the Sens ever going deep in the playoffs with Karlsson is their best go-to dman......his style and playoff hockey aren't a good mix IMO.

Banned

Lol, I could say that I modelled my game off of Kronwall...... it doesn't mean that I have the physical tools/size or mental makeup to play anything like Kronwall. I agree that he's the closest to Orr, but he's lacking a LOT of what #4 could do in his own end when it counted. I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong, but I don't see the Sens ever going deep in the playoffs with Karlsson is their best go-to dman......his style and playoff hockey aren't a good mix IMO.
    He is no different than Keith. The guy who has won two cups. He'd easily have a Cup if he was on LA instead of doughty.

This is a guy who has been named top dman at every level. A team can win a cup with him.

Dobber Sports Legend

Subban can't touch him when they are both playing at their highest level.
    Ev I'll tell ya, I've been watching Subban in this series vs the Bruins and he's been absolutely fantastic. Outside of maybe the Olympics, I haven't seen Karlsson raise his game to this level during an important time like Subban has. I'd say Karlsson pre-Achillies for a few stretches showed glimpses of being as dominant as Subban has been right now but Subban is on a whole different level at this time... and it's impressive... I don't care if you're a Habs fan or not, it is what it is. Subban has 12 points in 9 games and is a +1 which is very impressive considering the minutes and situations he's logging. The only player who has as many points as him in 9 games this post season is Getzlaf - the other 3 guys (Kopitar, Parise and Malkin) have played 11 or 12 games. Karlsson and Doughty were both incredible in the Olympics and Subban is playing at the level now. And, don't forget that Subban had 38 points in 42 GP last season which is a 74 point pace over 82... so it's not like he's some slouch offensively. IMO, Subban is the only defenseman who could come close to Karlsson's 70+ points in the near future... although I see EK65 hitting 80+ soon.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

Doughty/Weber
    Suter
    Karlsson/Pietrangelo
    Keith/Subban
    McDonagh

Dobber Sports Legend

Actually, Bobby Orr compared Karlsson to Paul Coffey and said he is the most exciting defenseman in the NHL today - a point that I don't think anyone of sound mind would disagree with. Skill-wise and excitement-wise, there's not a defenseman who can touch Karlsson. The guy right behind him in those categories though is Subban.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Pro

1- Shea Weber
    2- Drew Doughty
    3- Duncan Keith
    4- Erik Karlsson
    5- Ryan Suter
    6- Zdeno Chara
    7- Alex Pietrangelo
    8- Victor Hedman
    9- Ryan McDonagh
    10- P.K. Subban

Just missed (Ekman-Larsson, Kronwall, Giordano)
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Really tough one. Off the top of my head - Doughty, Weber, Chara, Suter, Keith, ( Subban, Hedman ). Although I'd listen to an argument on a number of guys being included (Alex P...etc)
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK