Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 5 defensemen in real life? Rep for help

Dobber Sports Star

Default Top 5 defensemen in real life? Rep for help

Will Rep. Having an ongoing argument with a friend of mine which involved Fantasy Hockey Defensemen vs Defensemen in real life. So, the question is, without taking the fantasy element into things, if you were given a NHL hockey team to run in real life and you were given a choice of Dmen to populate your team, who would be your top 5 choices?

Thanks,
    Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Top 5 defensemen in real life? Rep for help

I'll take a stab at it

Suter
    Doughty
    Keith
    Weber
    and Karlsson

I like Hedman, OEL, Pietrangelo, McDonagh and Giordano too

I didn't select Subban because bench tauntings is not how I want to run "MY" NHL club and Chara is too old to build around

maybe a top 10 is better
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Star

If I was running a team, I would want Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Suter - no particular order.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Agree with everyone else, except that I'd take Chara over Suter in real life.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Agree with everyone else, except that I'd take Chara over Suter in real life.
    For a 1 to 3 years window I'd agree with you, but OP seems to be talking about starting a team from scratch. If so, I'd personally go :

1- Doughty
    2- Keith
    3- Suter
    4- Weber
    5- Subban
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Deity

In no particular order, in real life, I would want:

Suter
    Weber
    Doughty
    Keith
    Chara
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

in no order

Doughty
    Weber
    Subban
    Keith
    KArlsson/Suter... depend what you want... Suter is better on the defensive side....Karlsson of course way better offensively...
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Dobber Sports Genius

Building a franchise, 5+ year window:

Weber
    Suter
    Keith
    Doughty
    Karlsson

If I was looking to win next year Chara would be on the list.

HM to Subban, Pietrangelo, Hedman and OEL, some real good D out there.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Giant

Doughty
    charra
    Keith
    Weber
    Karlsson
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

at this current moment, if i'm an nhl gm and there is a massive redraft and all dmen are available when it comes to my pick:

1. Doughty
    2. Suter
    3. Keith
    4. Weber
    5. Karlsson

Chara has lost a step, Subban would probably be #6 on my list. OEL, Pietrangelo are up there too.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lists above are good, you could make an argument for any of them, seems like the 5th spot is matter of personal preference.

I will say however that I find it mind-boggling how anyone could leave Subban or Karlsson off their list.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Shelf View Post
    Lists above are good, you could make an argument for any of them, seems like the 5th spot is matter of personal preference.

I will say however that I find it mind-boggling how anyone could leave Subban or Karlsson off their list.
    I have no issues leaving Karlsson off my list. Sure he has got a lot of points the last couple seasons, but what would you think of him if he reverted back to being a 55pt Dman? Is he still a top 5 REAL LIFE Dman? I dont think he is and I have a hard time seeing him as a consistent 65-70pt Dman. Could it happen? Sure, but I am dubious that it does and once his offence drops off, then he loses his luster to me. I would probably rank Subban above him but I dont rank Subban above the ones I listed earlier. Chara is the only one I waivered on when it came to my list but if I am an NHL GM, I want Chara. The guy is still a beast and is a winner. He has intangibles that every team wants/needs and all the points in the world can't replace those things.

Again, this is not about fantasy hockey and fantasy points. The OP asked about real life Dmen and Chara is still a top 5 Dman in real life to me, not because of his offense but more because of his leadership and presence on my team. He may have lost a step and his point total may have dipped a bit, but the extra's that he brings to my dressing room is beyond those things. I will let my forwards get the points, I want a winner and a leader. Thats why he is a top 5 Dman to me and until Karlsson actually starts to lead his team in something more then points, he isn't at that level yet.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

In order:

1. Weber
    2. Doughty
    3. Subban
    4. Karlsson
    5. Hedman

Hedman seems to be the guy people are neglecting the most, but I think he takes the step next season and becomes a cornerstone defenseman. Some might argue he's already reached that status this season, but I personally think he still has a gear or two left.

People leaving out Subban from a top 5 list is just ludicrous in my opinion. Like him or not, you know you can build a team around him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I have no issues leaving Karlsson off my list. Sure he has got a lot of points the last couple seasons, but what would you think of him if he reverted back to being a 55pt Dman? Is he still a top 5 REAL LIFE Dman? I dont think he is and I have a hard time seeing him as a consistent 65-70pt Dman. Could it happen? Sure, but I am dubious that it does and once his offence drops off, then he loses his luster to me. I would probably rank Subban above him but I dont rank Subban above the ones I listed earlier. Chara is the only one I waivered on when it came to my list but if I am an NHL GM, I want Chara. The guy is still a beast and is a winner. He has intangibles that every team wants/needs and all the points in the world can't replace those things.

Again, this is not about fantasy hockey and fantasy points. The OP asked about real life Dmen and Chara is still a top 5 Dman in real life to me, not because of his offense but more because of his leadership and presence on my team. He may have lost a step and his point total may have dipped a bit, but the extra's that he brings to my dressing room is beyond those things. I will let my forwards get the points, I want a winner and a leader. Thats why he is a top 5 Dman to me and until Karlsson actually starts to lead his team in something more then points, he isn't at that level yet.
    if chara was 1 or years younger i'd take him over karlsson. but you can't deny karlsson's age and offensive talent, Chara is likely still the better option if you want to win a cup, but as a GM you can't sacrifice everything for one year to win, you need to try and build a dynasty, a team that can win multiple cups. Karlsson will give you that window, while Chara's is almost closed. Arguement can go either way for that 5th spot, but my top 4 are locked in.

Dobber Sports Deity

GMs sacrifice plenty every year when it comes to winning the Cup, even if its for one year.

Why do you think you rarely see back to back Champions anymore?