Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Jesus mcgoo, every thread I look at you're calling someone names...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well. McDonagh, Hjalmarsson definitely aren't acquirable. Hamhuis maybe. I agree, that type of defenseman would be a better upgrade than Letang. But not many of those guys can be had. Teams that have them know how good they are and don't trade them.

I'm not advocating that Letang is a stud defenseman. He's a 3/4 caliber guy in the defensive zone and an obvious #1 caliber guy in the offensive zone, and then add to that he's probably available. Basically, he's pretty similar to Jack Johnson (who is also terrible defensively). If nothing else, it gives Edmonton a guy who can legitimately eat 20-25 minutes a night. Not ideal, but still a decent upgrade on everything they have, and can minutes-wise shelter their younger guys a little bit.
    eating up 10% of your cap space with something that isn't exactly what you need isn't really the best use of cap space

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Jesus mcgoo, every thread I look at you're calling someone names...

nope, just these two jokers

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    let me put it to you this way bub

if I EVER read a thread where your comment is not the stupidest one in the thread I'll buy you a ****ing trophy
    Haha. Just everything you say is hilarious. Don't have the knowledge or intelligence to make a useful contribution, so you just ramble on like a dude with Tourette's

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    eating up 10% of your cap space with something that isn't exactly what you need isn't really the best use of cap space
    Also not arguing that. But you have to start somewhere, and "exactly what they need" just isn't available. It's still a sizeable upgrade.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Also not arguing that. But you have to start somewhere, and "exactly what they need" just isn't available. It's still a sizeable upgrade.
    start somewhere yes, but you don't piss away that much cap space starting somewhere

and no it is not a sizable upgrade, it doesn't matter how many times you say it, it doesn't become correct just because you keep saying it

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

I feel like I proposed we agree to disagree many times. No matter how often you say it, your side doesn't become true, and no matter how many times I say it my side doesn't become true. We simply have a difference in opinion.

Banned

wow 2 dimwits arguing in a bubble -lol
    called it 2 hours ago...carry on gentlemen
    lmao

Dobber Sports Wizard

I feel like I proposed we agree to disagree many times. No matter how often you say it, your side doesn't become true, and no matter how many times I say it my side doesn't become true. We simply have a difference in opinion.
    actually Edmonton needing a defenseman who can play defense well is not an opinion it is a fact

- - - Updated - - -

called it 2 hours ago...carry on gentlemen
    lmao
    can't even tell time can you you stupid bastard

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

actually Edmonton needing a defenseman who can play defense well is not an opinion it is a fact
    Yes, we certainly agree on that. Our difference comes into play with our opinions of the level of upgrade that Letang would bring on the defensive side of the puck, me thinking it is greater than you do.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Letang is not the answer in Edmonton. He's not even the answer in Pittsburgh, a much better team.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Letang is not the answer in Edmonton. He's not even the answer in Pittsburgh, a much better team.
    I don't where this perception is coming where I said he is the answer. I never said anything close to that. I said he's a much better option than anything they have now, which is just simply a fact.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't where this perception is coming where I said he is the answer. I never said anything close to that. I said he's a much better option than anything they have now, which is just simply a fact.
    When you factor in his cap hit and his weak defensive play, and then tack on his inability to stay healthy, and I bet you'd be looking at a guy who would look like a total disaster in Edmonton. They need someone who is much much better as a defender than Letang in my opinion. In isolation, yes, Letang would be good. However, he'd be surrounded by young, defensively inept defenseman, and would just add to those problems. If the team already had some solid defensive blueliners then he'd be a much more enticing option. He's a giant no-go in my books.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yes, we certainly agree on that. Our difference comes into play with our opinions of the level of upgrade that Letang would bring on the defensive side of the puck, me thinking it is greater than you do.
    is it enough to make the a playoff team, because they can't afford to piss away 10% of their cap to bring in a single player that isn't going to drastically change the outcomes of their seasons at this point

i don't understand how you are trying to make the argument that spending $7m on something that doesn't actually address any of the various needs of the team is the proper way to move forward for the Oilers, and that is before even counting the fact that they would be giving up assets as well

we aren't talking fantasy hockey here, replacing a player with a 'better' player doesn't always make the team better or at least do so enough to justify what you have spent to acquire it or pay it yearly

and one more time if he were good enough defensively to make the kind of difference you seem to think he would he would be untouchable as a player, that kind of defense coupled with his offense would make him not someone that people would look at in Pitt and say they need to move him out

a defenseman who can make the kind of difference defensively on a team as you claim he can is not going to ever be considered redundant

so you are either exaggerating his redundancy or you are exaggerating how good he is defensively, he can't be a game changer defensively and redundant at the same time

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

is it enough to make the a playoff team, because they can't afford to piss away 10% of their cap to bring in a single player that isn't going to drastically change the outcomes of their seasons at this point

i don't understand how you are trying to make the argument that spending $7m on something that doesn't actually address any of the various needs of the team is the proper way to move forward for the Oilers, and that is before even counting the fact that they would be giving up assets as well

we aren't talking fantasy hockey here, replacing a player with a 'better' player doesn't always make the team better or at least do so enough to justify what you have spent to acquire it or pay it yearly

and one more time if he were good enough defensively to make the kind of difference you seem to think he would he would be untouchable as a player, that kind of defense coupled with his offense would make him not someone that people would look at in Pitt and say they need to move him out

a defenseman who can make the kind of difference defensively on a team as you claim he can is not going to ever be considered redundant

so you are either exaggerating his redundancy or you are exaggerating how good he is defensively, he can't be a game changer defensively and redundant at the same time
    This just isn't a good argument. If he was as poor defensively as you say he is then he wouldn't have gotten contract for that much money to begin with. And really, like use your reading glasses bud. I didn't say he's a game changer defensively. I said he's average and an improvment on anything they have. Which he is. You're trying to argue something with me that I'm not trying to argue. I'm saying on Pittsburgh, Niskanen, Maatta, and Martin are all better defensively than Kris Letang. Those three also do an adequate job replacing the offense Letang brings. Therefore, it is not good cap management for Pittsburgh. On Edmonton, Letang is better than any other option on that team. Therefore it does make sense for Edmonton to spend that portion of their cap space on him. Is he the BEST possible use of that cap space? No, and I have also never said that. Please name for me another available option that Edmonton could acquire that would be the perfect use of that cap space.

You're simply trying to change my arguments and put words in my mouth so you can make counter points because you can't find a way to argue what I'm saying. I guess if you can't find a way to argue something then change the argument? Because you aren't countering what I am saying.

As for does he make them a playoff team? Well none of Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Duncan Keith, Drew Doughty, etc. Make Edmonton a playoff team, because all of Anaheim, San Jose, LA, Minnesota, and Dallas have much better top to bottom rosters than them. I guess that means they shouldn't acquire any of those players if they were available either right?