Thread: Nazem Kadri - the right pick in 2009

I...am your father.

Default Nazem Kadri - the right pick in 2009

I found this an interesting and well-researched piece. And yes, I think he was the right pick. Maybe O'Reilly or Kreider would have been better, but the Leafs needed a fella with high-end offensive upside in their system.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nazem-ka...-pick-in-2009/
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Nazem Kadri - the right pick in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I found this an interesting and well-researched piece. And yes, I think he was the right pick. Maybe O'Reilly or Kreider would have been better, but the Leafs needed a fella with high-end offensive upside in their system.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nazem-ka...-pick-in-2009/

I was at the draft at that time, and I actually had Toronto take MPS, Dallas with Ryan Ellis and Kadri with the Sens on my mock draft.

O'Reilly would still have been a better pick than Kadri, but other than that it was a nice pick by Burke. I still think MPS would have been great with the Leafs.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Good piece and I'd agree that it is well-researched. With Kadri, I consider two things when wondering if he was the right pick. Firstly, based on his comments and attitude, he has a lot of maturing to do. I think the criticism offered by Eakins to him a couple years back was blown out of proportion, but his personality seems to be one of someone who is too confident and can be childish at times. Him making a smartass comment to one of Carlyle's questions during an episode of 24/7 was a bit of an eye-opener.
    Secondly, him holding out for almost the entire summer regarding his contract status didn't really sit well in terms of long-termed visions of him with the Leafs. He expected a ridiculous extension based on one good half-season. After witnessing Kessel, Phaneuf and Clarkson sign their lucrative, long-term deals with the Leafs, I have a strong suspicion that Kadri's contract expectations have only increased significantly.
    Frankly, I'm not sure that Kadri will be a Leaf in the long-term. He's probably going to want somewhere in the area of $6.5M a season every 5-8 years which is a LOT for a player who still has something to prove.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's funny, at the time I really wanted them to take Magnus Paajarvi - thinking that he would be the size they needed up front. Of course today it isn't really that close, Kadri seems to have a lot of more upside and has had a more significant impact.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK