Thread: Smart TVs

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Smart TVs

So I am looking at getting a new TV for Christmas and I was wondering if a smart TV would be a good choice. What do you do on your smart TV that you can't on a traditional TV? Have you found it worth the extra money? Can I watch Hockey Streams on one? Any other info is appreciated. Thanks.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Banned

Default Re: Smart TVs

I don't think Smart TVs are worth it personally. Having the smart TV aspect of the tv adds a lot of extra cost to the TV, whereas you can get a non-smart TV (or one with very basic Smart TV) with better picture quality for less. I am not sure about the Hockey Streams. Basically you can use apps like Netflix, Facebook, etc., things you can already do with a computer or game console if you hook it up to the TV.

I would look for a deal on a Panasonic plasma as they are not making them after this year. Best picture you can get, IMO. I just got this 50 inch Panny and it's amazing: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35831110.html. It has some Smart TV aspects like Netflix and Hulu Plus if you are in the states, and it is a very good bargain for an awesome picture. If you are in the States, the bargains are a lot better and you can even get the 65 inch model for cheap.

The one I have is only available at wholesalers like Costco and Sam's Club, but the S60 series (http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35558333.html) is available everywhere. Only difference is the S60 series has a worse picture in bright environments since it does not come with an anti-reflective filter. I have had/seen basically every type of TV and you just can't beat plasma IMO. For hockey it is a bit duller at first since it is not as bright as LED/LCD TVs, but it is more natural and you get used to it.

BUT it depends on what you already have. If you have a game console or a Blu Ray with its own streaming apps and web browser, then I definitely think it's not worth the extra price.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Whatever you do... do not get a Vizio.
    Vizio TVs are shit.

Just to clarify.
    IF your Vizio works... they are the best bang-for-the-buck. And for 4/5 people, the TV probably works.
    IF your Vizio fails... you are going to have an effin hell of a time getting service, warranty, fixed.
    [I know several friends & family that bought Vizio and it's about 3/15 had problems. My mother in-law bought three for her new house. One had the screen just go out after about about 12 months. Just gone, no picture... still sound. Past warranty and Vizio's answer was "Try holding the power button for 15 seconds with the chord unplugged". No, sorry... that didn't work. Awful experience. I've learned that this why Vizio changes their TVs every year, because they don't make a model that consistently works and they don't want to have a saturated product with a stockpile of negative reviews and/or parts for replacement.]

It's a bit like Russian Roulette, you have about a 1/5 or 1/6 chance of getting a crap TV.

Personally, with the reduced prices on the old XBox and PS3, I'd consider getting one of those and pairing it with a dependable HDTV to be a "smart TV".
    You could also consider the Google Chromecast ($35) if you have a laptop or android that you use and might like to stream direct to the TV.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Yeah, I see a lot of Vizios on display in stores that are showing really bad motion distortion effects. I'd guess if they see heavy use, they deteriorate rather quickly.

For something that you'll end up using a lot , I'd recommend investing in a decent TV (Samsung, Sony, LG). If you're on a budget, you could do without the smart features and use an X-Box or your blu-ray player instead. But if you can afford it, a little redundancy never hurt.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks for the info everyone.

Big Ev- I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma and it is awesome. Didn't know they were going to stop the plasmas- I'll have to take a look. We were considering something in the 40"-43" range for our bedroom. It is awful to go from our 50" HD to our 32" standard definition in the bedroom. And it is even worse for watching hockey.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov