Thread: 14th Overall pick, take leftovers from 2013 or go for the 2014 class?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 14th Overall pick, take leftovers from 2013 or go for the 2014 class?

I know it is a little early, since our prospect draft is still months away, but i am already starting my draft preparations.

so here is the question: i own the 14th overall selection and i am already trying to figure out which route to take. Obviously, a lot of the "sexy" names from the 2013 draft class are already gone. Leftovers i would be looking at with that pick include duclair, poirier, buchnevich, lehkonen and others.

Would you pick one of those guys over the Players from this years draft, that are likely to be available for my pick? Any other names that come to your mind i should consider?

Also, what kind of upside do you think the guys i mentioned above have?

Thanks
    12 team full keeper dynasty league (H2H Points-Based)

scoring cats:

G, A, P, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, FOW, FOL, Hit, TK, BLK, GWG, GA, SV, SHO, W

C: Barkov, MacKinnon, Zegras, Hughes, Matthews
    LW: Pavelski,Teravainen, Nichushkin,
    RW: Rantanen, Laine, Terry
    F: Kakko, Rakell, Granlund
    D: Jones, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dahlin, Burns, Thrun,
    G: Gibson, F. Andersen, Saros, Hart
    Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: 14th Overall pick, take leftovers from 2013 or go for the 2014 class?

If it's for the team in your sig, then you can absolutely wait on prospects so I'd go with whoever you feel has the most upside.

Another strategy would be to move your pick for a 2015th pick where the top8 looks incredibly stacked (like 2013)
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 14th Overall pick, take leftovers from 2013 or go for the 2014 class?

Focus on 2014 eligible players. Those 2013 eligibles are ok but not compared to the top of the 2014 class.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Giant

This is a pick that absolutely SCREAMS Nikolay Goldobin, if you think he might slip that far down your league's draft board. He's really shored up some of his defensive deficiencies, his game has really developed into a versatile offensive arsenal from a perimeter type game, and it appears that his "effort" problems are largely a thing of the past.

This kid is the real deal, and there is a shot he could be available with your 14th overall selection. Has all the makings of a draft-day steal to me.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    This is a pick that absolutely SCREAMS Nikolay Goldobin, if you think he might slip that far down your league's draft board. He's really shored up some of his defensive deficiencies, his game has really developed into a versatile offensive arsenal from a perimeter type game, and it appears that his "effort" problems are largely a thing of the past.

This kid is the real deal, and there is a shot he could be available with your 14th overall selection. Has all the makings of a draft-day steal to me.
    No this pick screams Barbashev, Best Russian in this draft and suburb two-way player with elite offensive instincts. If he's there I say grab him. I like Goldobin too. Keep Ehlers and in the back of your head as well.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Giant

Ehlers has been getting a lot of love lately, I'd be surprised if he lasted past 10th overall. Another superb two-way player who could be available around 14th is Jared McCann, not elite in any part of the game, unless you consider being good at everything "elite," but he's one of the better hockey players available in the first round. Pastrnak is another solid choice here if he's available; playing better than F. Forsberg in same league at same age.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Ehlers has been getting a lot of love lately, I'd be surprised if he lasted past 10th overall. Another superb two-way player who could be available around 14th is Jared McCann, not elite in any part of the game, unless you consider being good at everything "elite," but he's one of the better hockey players available in the first round. Pastrnak is another solid choice here if he's available; playing better than F. Forsberg in same league at same age.
    I love Mccann kid reminds me of Toews.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

I thought Duclair would get more love here, especially after the season he has been having so far.
    What about Markus Granlund? He sure did impress in the ahl. Well in the nhl too, but that is a very small sample size.

I really like that barbashev kid, but not sure he'll be there for my pick.

scoring cats:

Farm: L. Carlsson, Moore, Miroshnichenko, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Askarov, Fedotov, Clang

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would slot duclair or Poirier in that pick easily, but depends on the names taken off the board prior. Scherbak, Ehlers, Ho-Sang are all likely available and I would be targeting them, depending where they end up drafted in the NHL. However, it looks like it's for a multi-cat, and I look at points only, so there are probably guys like Mccann that may be better options for your league (Poirier would fit that mold IMO).

When is your pick afterwards? You could probably have a shot at the 2013 scraps there, since people will be vying for the 2014 shiny new names as opposed to the kids that have an extra year experience, which is actually better, since you have more info to go off and they are farther along in their development (and you aren't getting top-end talent at 14 either way)
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Quote Originally Posted by Spec7ral View Post
    When is your pick afterwards?
    i only have 2 picks in that draft and my 2nd will most likely be the 32nd overall. looking at a goalie with that one

scoring cats:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Selanne13 View Post
    i only have 2 picks in that draft and my 2nd will most likely be the 32nd overall. looking at a goalie with that one
    Goalies are a really poor investment in dynasty leagues, especially considering you've got some pretty solid prospects in tow.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Selanne13 View Post
    I thought Duclair would get more love here, especially after the season he has been having so far.
    What about Markus Granlund? He sure did impress in the ahl. Well in the nhl too, but that is a very small sample size.

I really like that barbashev kid, but not sure he'll be there for my pick.
    Markus Granlund should definitely get some consideration for your second pick around 32nd overall. Very underrated prospect, and I'm guessing most of the other names will be off the board by that time. I wouldn't waste the draft pick investing in a young goaltender; it's much better to just read / react to developments to find yourself an up-and-coming goaltender. Barbashev and McCann are pretty similar in my eyes, Barbashev may have more offensive upside, but I think McCann is currently a better player and better suited for the NHL.

Dobber Sports Pro

Hard to say because a league with options besides one particular draft class, you can have picks all over the board. Hard to get a target group of players when the 13 picks ahead of you could be so random. Most likely you're looking at a 2014 pick with this selection...there's at least 20 fantasy worthy/relevant prospects you can get with this pick.

Also disagree with the poster above who stated goalies are "a really poor investment" in dynasty leagues. Depends on the format, rules, managers etc. Both of my dynasty leagues goaltenders are valued extremely high.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think goaltenders are typically a bad investment in the entry draft because of the long, long, long development time for these guys. It's not to say that goalies per se are a bad investment; however, it's definitely wiser to pick them up later as FAs or whatever the case may be.

Dobber Sports Pro

I would not waste a pick on a goalie too

I drafted Jack Campbell and Andrei Vasilevsky and there far from being solid NHLers. To play as a back up is one thing but to be number 1 is long long way to go.

I know it could be the same with forwards.

I'm not good enought in prospect to help you who to pick at 32nd but i'd take a defenseman since you have Drouin, Barkov, Teravainen, Etem etc in front.... + you already have Markstrom, Gibson and Anderson as goalie prospects...

You need more Dmen with just Ristolainen as D prospects.....
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.