Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethical to influence playoff matchups?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Ethical to influence playoff matchups?

Here's the situation... 8 team league, 6 get into playoffs, which start next week. I already have the #1 seed locked up. 2 points separate 4th place from 7th place, which means one team is out of luck. I play one of the teams in the hunt, which has an inactive GM (has had Hertl and Dupuis on his roster all season, doesn't set lineups, etc.). The only problem is his potential to steal goalie categories (Smith, Miller, Lundqvist), but many of these teams have strong goaltenders as well.

Would it be acceptable in your eyes to throw this match-up and ensure that I have weaker competition going forward? Or is that breaking the code of fantasy hockey? Would welcome your input.
    Yahoo 8 team H2H, 12F, 5D, 2G, 4 bench, 1 rookie bolded - drafted
    Stats: G, A, PPP, SOG, HIT, GAA, SV%, W, S, SO

C: Seguin, Hall, MacKinnon, Granlund, Jenner
    LW: E.Kane, Zetterberg, Skinner, O'Reilly, Burakovsky, Zuccarello
    RW: Ovechkin, Hornqvist, Tarasenko, Atkinson
    D: Byfuglien, Shattenkirk, Giordano, Franson, Muzzin
    G: Schneider, Lehtonen, Halak, Anderson

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Ethical to influence playoff matchups?

If there's not a rule, you should be able to do it. It's less-than-ethical, but it's legal and it is a fine strategy to help you win a title. I'd ask the commissioner, but I think you should be able to do this. You better believe if NHL teams could ensure weak competition in playoff rounds by throwing games, it would be rampant.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Guru

That's shady. I'd be pissed if it happened in my league. You're risking upsetting your entire league with that kind of bootleg activity.
    If you're in it purely to win -- I suppose.
    If you actually enjoy Fantasy hockey and the challenge of it, which is what it should be, then field the best team possible.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

To clarify, I (me, myself) think you should be able to do it. But you should ask the commissioner.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I tend to believe shady tactics upset the fantasy gods and backfire. There's nothing wrong with doing it, could just screw you in the end

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I tend to believe shady tactics upset the fantasy gods and backfire. There's nothing wrong with doing it, could just screw you in the end
    I also believe in karma, but I had the opportunity to do the same thing last year. I chose not to and got upset in the semifinals.

Dobber Sports Giant

If the other managers are active in your league, you can bet that they will spot this move during and/or after it is done on your part. That being said, it will most likely be brought up if you win it all. If you can live with it, by all means, go for it since it is not in the rule book.

I, on the other hand, would prefer winning (or losing) without any justifiable judgments made on my team or my strategy. Then again, in a hockey perspective, think of the 93 cup run by the Habs. The Marty McSorley ''illegal'' curve call that changed the series' momentum, although still mentioned, is easily overlooked when looking at the bigger picture of those entire playoffs.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

The Wolverine

I don't like it at all. I believe in setting your active lineup regardless of the situation. If you're the best team, you should be confident in no matter who you play. I would take more pride in losing against the best than throwing a matchup and winning.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I don't like it at all. I believe in setting your active lineup regardless of the situation. If you're the best team, you should be confident in no matter who you play. I would take more pride in losing against the best than throwing a matchup and winning.
    We're all buddies in this league, trash-talk is relentless. I have no doubt they would do the same thing if they were in my position. Although, taking the high road and still winning does have a nice moral appeal.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by FuuurSuure View Post
    We're all buddies in this league, trash-talk is relentless. I have no doubt they would do the same thing if they were in my position. Although, taking the high road and still winning does have a nice moral appeal.
    Perhaps they would do the same thing, but they might also take the opportunity to voice their displeasure and accuse you of cheating. I know it's not exactly that, but for me, it's something that would be best avoided.

Dobber Sports Giant

This is a game, people. Not a competition to see how moral you are. It's a game with rules, cleverly applying said rules being one of the only means to gain an advantage over your competition. All these people talking about "winning the right way" have probably already come to terms with losing the right way.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FuuurSuure View Post
    If you know them well enough to be sure of this, then it's a different story. If you're confident it won't be league-threatening, then I'd be more in favor.
    I'd be most worried about upsetting folks that would get cut from the playoffs with a shady move.

Our league has all kinds of tanking -- but it's an understood strategy. Some leagues might call that shady, but picks are valuable and taking on injured players is a smart move.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    All these people talking about "winning the right way" have probably already come to terms with losing the right way.
    Yup, I have

When I win in whatever situation, I feel a whole lot less satisfied if I know I did it by ''bending the rules''. In this case, the rules are established with no mention of this particular ''loophole''. However, EVERYONE knows it is just that; a loophole.

There's a difference between strategy and ''bending the rules''. Although both are legal, one tends to get recognized positively while the other one is usually frowned upon. I prefer to win and be recognized as there is no use in winning if there is no self AND outside praise/respect IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm not talking about "bending rules," there has to be a rule established before that's the case. This is an open frontier, you're just staking your claim.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I personally don't see a problem with tanking to influence the standings. Sure, others may get pissed off but I've always looked at the defined rules of any league as the framework that you have to work in, or perhaps around in some cases. You aren't braking any rules, so how could anyone really argue otherwise? Lets not forget that even if you tank you may not get the exact matchup you want in the playoffs.

I've tanked teams for better draft position in keepers, thrown rounds for (hopefully) better matchups, and stream when it is beneficial. None of these methods break any rules, they are simply "creative" team management.

It's like the old hockage adage:

"If you're not cheating you're not trying!" (at least within boundries)

GAME ON!!!!!