Studs:
Raising Kane
Evander Kane: We should create a new category for Kane: Superstud. While he only had one assist, he took 10 shots and eight hits. The guy is just a beast. He also added two takeaways, won one of two faceoffs, and was a plus-one.

No Johnny come lately
Johnny Boychuk: The defender played the most minutes of any Bruins player under six-foot-nine, and had a pretty solid outing. His goal (his first of the season) was the insurance marker in a 4-1 win, but he also had a plus-two, two pims, two shots, three blocked shots and one hit.

You’re Malkin me crazy
Evgeni Malkin: Malkin continued racking up the assists, as he seems to be the helper in Pittsburgh. Last night, the Russian had two assists, plus-two, three shots, one hit and won six of eight faceoffs. Malkin hasn’t scored a goal in 14 games, but has 12 assists in that time.

No pun comes to mind
Grant Clitsome: Let’s give some love to Clitsome, shall we? The non-offensive defenceman had a great night last night, finishing with two assists, a plus-one, two pims, two shots, three blocked shots and four hits.

Duds:
Ward-ing off the backup
Cam Ward: Ward didn’t look very good in his first game in a month, letting in three goals on 29 shots. Backup Justin Peters has better numbers than Ward in wins, goals against average, save percentage and shutouts. So pretty much everything.

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Tobias Enstrom: After a hot start to the season, Enstrom has cooled off incredibly. Zero points in his last eight games, despite Winnipeg averaging 3.25 goals a game during that span. Last night, he continued to suck, finishing with two shots and nothing else.

Beau knows third lines
Beau Bennett: It looks like the experiment of having Bennett play with Malkin may be over. In his last three games, Malkin has played with Bennett on less than five per cent of Bennett’s shifts. Although he has seen some time with Sidney Crosby, Bennett has mostly been playing with Brandon Sutter. Bennett has no points in five games since returning from injury.

No more Staal-ing
Jordan Staal: Is it time to stop saying that Jordan Staal could be an offensive juggernaut in the right situation? After years of living in the shadow of Crosby and Malkin, Staal doesn’t seem like he has any offence at all. Last year, he was on pace for 53 points, which would have been a career high. This year, he’s on pace for 25 points. He had no points and no shots last night.

Quick hits:
Every Carolina forward who took a faceoff had at least a 50 per cent winning percentage.
Olli Jokinen won 21 of 28 faceoffs.
Jets goalie Al Montoya made more saves in the shootout (five) than he did in the first period (four)
Kris Russell blocked seven shots