Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Malone\'s rights to CBJ

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [Rumor] Malone\'s rights to CBJ

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/06..._tidbits.shtml

Apparently the Pens have low-balled him twice, and he doesn\'t want to return. They have also apparently made an offer to CBJ already.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Sage

That\'s awesome... as much as it might hurt Malone\'s fantasy numbers, I\'d be pumped to see what kind of an impact he could have on Nash!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

angus wrote:
    http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/06..._tidbits.shtml

Apparently the Pens have low-balled him twice, and he doesn\'t want to return. They have also apparently made an offer to CBJ already.
    Lol... columbus will have quite a nice team with Nash, Olli Jokinen, and Malone next season. :laugh:

But in all seriousness... what do we think pitt would get in return? A few picks or what?
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Icon

malone is silly...

choice 1) stay in your hometown and play on a stanley cup contender and dynasty team for 2 million bucks

choice 2) play on a still building franchise with the possibility of slipping into obsurity for 4 million bucks

I don\'t know man... 2 million dollars... How can anyone live off of that small an amount of money? I mean how will he buy groceries? He needs at least 4 million dollars (or more)! :lol:

Malone will be the next Anson Carter IMO.
    Roster Limit(s):
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kidding me? Malone hasn\'t exactly broken the bank in his career. The first chance I\'d get at UFA, I\'d take 2 million more to play almost anywhere.

Dobber Sports Icon

angus wrote:
    Kidding me? Malone hasn\'t exactly broken the bank in his career. The first chance I\'d get at UFA, I\'d take 2 million more to play almost anywhere.
    One could say the same thing about anson carter...
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

its easy to say things like this when you are an outsider...

when someone flings 2 extra million for you will feel differently lol

Dobber Sports Icon

Doublethetrouble wrote:
    its easy to say things like this when you are an outsider...

when someone flings 2 extra million for you will feel differently lol
    nope... sorry I wouldn\'t... you could offer me twice as much money as I make now to move to a place I have never lived and work with people I don\'t know for a company that\'s not as good and I would likely turn you down.

But maybe that\'s just me. There\'s more to life than money... and 2 million would be plenty to live on... the only benefit of making more money is getting taxed more.
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Ninja

lanky522 wrote:
    ... and 2 million would be plenty to live on... the only benefit of making more money is getting taxed more.
    It\'s not enough with the fast cars and loose women that come with the extra $2 mil.:woohoo:

In Malone\'s case, he has to weigh playing for less on a great young team in his hometown or making almost double what the Pens are offering (not that I know who\'s offering what...).

Anson Carter really should have stayed with Vancouver. I think many of us saw that coming, maybe not to the degree it did, but look where he is now...where is he now?

I don\'t think Malone is going to end up like Carter, they are different players and each brings something different to their team.

It would be tempting to stay with the Pens though, playing with either Crosby or Malkin as your centre? Hockey would be more fun and less of a business.

There is pressure from the NHLPA for players to sign for the most money. When a player signs for less than market value, other GM\'s start comparing their free agents to that player (if the comparison makes sense) and try to pay their free agents less. Tough call for Mr Malone.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Anson Carter handled the situation poorly. He also isn\'t really comparable to Malone. Carter had been a UFA a few times already, and had earned some solid deals. This is Malone\'s first crack at it.

Carter turned down a deal from the Canucks 1.8 per year for 2 years, only to take 700k more on a one year deal from a crummy team.

Dobber Sports Icon

angus wrote:
    Anson Carter handled the situation poorly. He also isn\'t really comparable to Malone. Carter had been a UFA a few times already, and had earned some solid deals. This is Malone\'s first crack at it.

Carter turned down a deal from the Canucks 1.8 per year for 2 years, only to take 700k more on a one year deal from a crummy team.
    I guess we can\'t really speculate on whether malone should \"have stayed\" or should \"have left\" until everything shakes out. One thing I\'ve learned about free agency is that anything can happen until the papers are signed and bags are packed (and even then sometimes nothing\'s certain *cough* nylander *cough* *cough*)

We\'ll see how everything shakes out. Until Malone signs with whatever team he signs with and we can see what sort of money he\'s making, I suppose that everything is just speculation...

But then again, that\'s what us fantasy nuts do best! Speculate! :P
    Roster Limit(s):

Dobber Sports Pro

Just think how many nose jobs Malone can afford with the extra 2 million!!

2 Million is a decent number, (it is a 50k salary for 40 years), especially if he is a decent family guy that wants his parents to retire, buy them a house, get married have a bunch of kids and retire by the age of 35. I appreciate your sentiment lanky but most of these guys have grown up expecting a payday at some point and are very unlikely to turn it down.

As I posted elsewhere, I think these guys should take a cut only to win a cup with Crosby, Malkin and Co. and pad their stats so that they can get big money and have the playoff experience to go lead a team of their own.

Unfortunately my personal morals start to waiver around the 250k mark.

I...am your father.

From a business standpoint, Malone would be wise to stay one year at $1.5 million. He finally got rolling midseason. If he could do that all season and clear 60 points, he\'s break the bank next year. Now, all he\'d get is $3 million tops...and he\'ll get 40 points tops, thus killing all future earnings (a la Anson Carter).

But many agents are...well, stupid. Or greedy. Or both. And they will want maximum dollars here and now.

So Malone will never win a Cup and never earn as big a contract as he will get this summer. All so he can make an extra $1.5 million for each of two seasons.

Malone with Nash and a top center? He wouldn\'t last on that line. PIT is the team I watched the most this year. He had his moments, but for the most part he sucked. Maybe if the made the net 10 feet by six feet, he\'d be alright...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree Dobber...as an avid Pens fan, I have said all year that Shero should not sign Malone a penny over 2.5 mil...he did have his moments and at times he looks like a decent power forward...but most of the time, he is not worth Hartnell-like money (not that hartnell is worth that either)...

I hope it\'s true and Shero lets him walk...
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Expert

lanky522 wrote:
    malone is silly...

choice 1) stay in your hometown and play on a stanley cup contender and dynasty team for 2 million bucks

choice 2) play on a still building franchise with the possibility of slipping into obsurity for 4 million bucks

I don\'t know man... 2 million dollars... How can anyone live off of that small an amount of money? I mean how will he buy groceries? He needs at least 4 million dollars (or more)! :lol:

Malone will be the next Anson Carter IMO.
    choice 3) break your ankle and end your career at 2 million when you know you could have made 4....

keep in mind that the career of a professional athlete is very, very short. yes, it\'s easy to live off of 2 million dollars in a year, but it\'s not easy to live off of 2 million dollars your entire life if something bad happens to you in a high-risk sport. Sports players only have a very short window to maximize your earnings. then it\'s golf and hopefully good investments for them for the rest of their lives.