Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nic Petan upside?

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Nic Petan upside?

Just one more soft bit of advice about your timescale. 5 years is a really long time for this type of thing. Hell the league I run, which seems like it's been going forever, is only 5 or 6 years old.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Just saying, Pavel Brendl scored over a 100 points and led the dub in scoring too. Long way between that and being even an average NHLer

Administrator

Originally posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Just saying, Pavel Brendl scored over a 100 points and led the dub in scoring too. Long way between that and being even an average NHLer
    This is an example of why prospect-heavy teams fail in fantasy hockey. It takes time and if you give up too much for these prospects you cannot afford to be wrong.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Yeah I'm learning along the way. I was out of the loop on prospects when I was first asked to take over this team. I went into the first draft by not doing my studying, I was too busy with school at the time and I had no idea what to do at the time strategy wise and was on a few days notice. My team was 4th last and the best player I had was Ovechkin who just scored back to back 30 goals and I thought he was done and that I better trade him before his value is all gone.

I had no idea what to gauge on an asking price and nobody gave me offers they just handed me the sheets to their teams to look at their players. At the time I honestly had no clue how good Huberdeau was or Scheifele. I asked my brother is Huberdeau good? He said yeah he can eventually be a pt a game player. Then I threw in Couturier and Hamilton and when I messaged the guy the trade I honestly thought he would reject it lol. I thought I was robbing his team.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. That draft i did horrible. My first round I had 4th pick and Yakupov, Murray, Galchenyuk were taken. So I went with Justin Schultz. Second Round I think I went with Akim Aliu ffs but next round my brother looked at available players (he was away from the draft for awhile so I was on my own but then he came back) and told me to pick Morgan Rielly and that he was surprised he wasn't picked yet. Only good guys i got out of that draft were Schultz (whom I traded away anyway) and Morgan Rielly who I am asking a kings ransom for if anyone comes asking for a deal).

But this past draft I did my research, I asked around on here and I remember one guy told me to put Tomas Hertl higher on my ranking list. Thank goodness I did. my draft went 1. MacKinnon 2. E Lindholm 3. Ryan Murray 4. Tomas Hertl. So right now I have a few pieces to work with and with any future deals I will ask you guys about it first. This is the first time I've done a keeper league format and I'm always willing to learn. Our next draft is in a few weeks and I'm most likely going with Reilly Smith from the Boston Bruins. It all depends what everyone else drops from their teams. I will update everyone when that happens

Dobber Sports Pro

Petan to me was a first round prospect even with his size and I had him ranked to go in the first round. Now he fell in the draft due to his size but the kid can score and can score in bunches.... at the junior level, he will have a hard time overcoming his size in the NHL and will likely top out at a maximum of 65 points with a more likely upside of 45-55. Now I hope that I'm wrong as he really has skill and I'd love to see him produce but I've just seen too many players his size put up similar junior numbers only to not produce in the NHL. Don't get sucked into the WJC hype and be nicer to people on the boards and they will be more inclined to answer you and give you advice.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

Originally posted by StuntMan712 View Post

He has been achieving success even before the World Juniors but you would know that you follow hockey right?

Petan was the highest scoring player in the 2013 draft with 120 in the dub and so far this season he is averaging over 2 ppg. He may be small but there are many examples of players overcoming small size.
    why did you even ask the question then?? Junior success doesn't always translate. Different style of play, and some players peak early. If his points meant anything why wasn't he drafted super high?
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Stud

Originally posted by dodospice View Post
    Petan to me was a first round prospect even with his size and I had him ranked to go in the first round. Now he fell in the draft due to his size but the kid can score and can score in bunches.... at the junior level, he will have a hard time overcoming his size in the NHL and will likely top out at a maximum of 65 points with a more likely upside of 45-55. Now I hope that I'm wrong as he really has skill and I'd love to see him produce but I've just seen too many players his size put up similar junior numbers only to not produce in the NHL. Don't get sucked into the WJC hype and be nicer to people on the boards and they will be more inclined to answer you and give you advice.
    Absolutely agree that Petan is a very legit NHL prospect despite his size. The numbers that he put up last season were remarkable and unheard of in recent WHL history for draft eligible players. Many questioned whether he was a product of Ty Rattie (even though they scored at essentially the same pace and anyone that watched the WHL playoffs and Memorial Cup realized this wasn't the case). Well wouldn't you know he is more than 2 points per game this season without Ty Rattie.

If guys like Tyler Ennis, Derek Roy, Brendan Gallagher, Brad Marchand, Cam Atkinson, David Deharnais, Zuccarello, Briere, Cammalleri, Tyler Johnson can be an impact NHL player then surely Petan has a chance also. Not saying he will but he's got a really good shot. And why wouldn't the OP draft Petan for his team? It's not just about what Petan will do in terms of point production for his team in 3+ years, it's about him as an asset and what he can turn him into if he doesn't want to wait. Petan's value is way higher now than it was in the summer, so good start. Now decide whether to turn him into a different asset or continue waiting patiently.

And honestly, with the lack of activity on these boards lately (compared to before the switch) I don't care about whether the thread was started in Keeper Forwards or Prospects. Besides, no one is forced to click on a thread.

Dobber Sports Sage

LMAO, I drafted Petan this year in the second round and Lazar was still on the board. He is a decent prospect for sure.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ace

We were all at your level of knowledge at some point.. This is probably the least confrontational, most knowledgable community I have ever been a part of. Established members here are never going to personally attack you, so try not to take things the wrong way.

I am still learning how to deal with a very young team, but I am a couple of years into the process now. If you have the time/inclination, please take a look at my series of articles on long-term rebuilds.
    From Rebuilding to Contention: Part I
    Rebuilding to Contention (Part II)
    Rebuilding to Contention (Part III): Tips Along the Way
    Rebuilding to Contention (Part IV) - Dobber Hockey
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks