Thread: Gormley called up

Dobber Sports Master

Default Gormley called up

The Coyotes have called up highly touted prospect Brandon Gormley, and the youngster is practicing with the team now. Will he finally get an opportunity to shine with the big club, or is this just a cup of coffee, and the real deal will have to wait.

Also wondering what you guys see as Gormley's point production ceiling. I have him in my Keeper League (points only) and will have to make a decision to keep him or not. As it stands right now, The defenders I own are: Gormley, Jacob Trouba, Tyson Barrie, Cody Ceci, and T.J. Brodie. My plan involves keeping three of them and Trouba and Barrie have two of those spots locked up. Is Gormley worth more than Ceci and/or Brodie?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Gormley called up

I'd take ceci over gormley for sure. I love gormley but i think he may settle in as more of a 2 way guy think marc staal.
    Even if him and ceci were even, gormley is on phx and has oel and yandle ahead of him for offense.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ceci will have Karlsson to deal with for years. I think Phoenix has so much depth at D with OEL, Yandle, Gormley and Rundblad that they'll have to make a move or two to get some scoring help. Gormley could stand to benefit as a result.

Dobber Sports Master

So which one of these two posters has it right? Gormley > Ceci or Ceci > Gormley

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    So which one of these two posters has it right? Gormley > Ceci or Ceci > Gormley
    I think you have to operate under the assumption that Ceci's value is higher right now, and even though he may not have the better upside / situation ahead of him, he does have a higher Dobber prospect ranking (#3D to Gormley's #17D) and definitely higher perceived value right now given his NHL "experience."

If you really think Gormley and Ceci have similar upside, and the decision is so difficult for you, why don't you trade Ceci for a pretty solid return (given his current spike in value) and keep Gormley? Seems to me like the best solution if you assign them similar values. On the other hand, however, in my own opinion, I definitely prefer Ceci by quite a decent margin here. I don't think the organization depth situations are similar AT ALL; Gormley has Yandle / OEL / Rundblad / Connor Murphy / Michael Stone to compete with for a roster spot and eventually Ice-time; however, Ceci is already getting opportunities and even looks to be SHARING PP-time with Karlsson instead of solely competing against him for minutes.

If I were to choose between these players, I would take Ceci without question; however, it seems like you value Gormley a bit higher than I do. If that's the case, maybe pursue a trade with Ceci? If not, I think you should really just keep Trouba / Barrie / Ceci, and look to ship Gormley after his NHL debut, etc.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

I like your reasoning and agree with lots of what you said, but the big problem I have right now is making the trade. I basically I have shopped both guys but nobody is willing to give up anything worthwhile. Being in the basement in a keeper league is tough, especially with the super young team I have.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would not count on Gormley to get much more than 30-35 pts for many years . Will have more real value than fantasy value . Good two-way D for sure .
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I like your reasoning and agree with lots of what you said, but the big problem I have right now is making the trade. I basically I have shopped both guys but nobody is willing to give up anything worthwhile. Being in the basement in a keeper league is tough, especially with the super young team I have.
    If there are no trade partners and you have to drop one I would make it Gormley since he would likely be easier to redraft next season if you wanted to.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar