Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I hate Yakupov. Do you?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    I'm on board with Yakupov, I think he has the talent and skill to be an elite player in the leaguee... however I don't think Edmonton is the place for him to achieve that. I would however ask Yakupov to play to his strengths (scoring goals and playing offence) as opposed to a lot of defence which seems to be an issue with a lot of young players. If they made it this far doing what they're doing, then why ask them to change?
    I think I agree. I liken it to the situation Seguin faced in Boston. I've always been vocal that Seguin would never be the star he was drafted to be as long as he stayed on Boston, simply because of the team system. He wasn't the type of player that thrives in Boston.

Yakupov simply needs a different team. He needs to be given a fresh chance on another team to succeed. He can't be playing behind Eberle or Hemsky. I think he has the talent, he just needs to right situation. Edmonton isn't that.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Wow, lots of great responses. I had a feeling my post would generate some strong reactions. Playing the devil's advocate can do that sometimes.

One thing is clear. The jury is still out on Yak. I think if he is traded to a team that has a winning culture he has a better chance to become the great player he could be. I dont think his development will pan out if he remains in Edmonton. Someone with the proper gravitas needs to take Yak under their wing and help him learn how to be a complete player and a professional. His offensive talent is undeniable. It remains to be seen if he can overcome the huge flaws in his game. Time will tell. I'm betting against it but I am as fallible as everyone else on these boards.
    I think it's important to remember that this is only his second season in the NHL. Lots of talented players take more than one season to develop, and Yakupov being a first overall pick doesn't guarantee smooth development. Player's don't all conform to a linear progression of development.

It's also important to realize he isn't alone in his season crappyness right now. The Oilers are a mess of a team, last in the league in goals against per game and bottom ten in PP percentage, and goals for per game. They are all struggling. Your point of him needing to move on is one worth considering, and one that I think the Oilers need to consider. It wouldn't be the first time a talented player was moved for both the benefit of the team and himself.

However it should be noted that Yakupov is shooting at a higher rate this year. He's shooting at 2.07 shots per game level. Last year he shot at a 1.69 shots per game. That's an encouraging sign. The big difference? His conversion rate is a brutal 3.4 percent, while last year it was 21 percent. And for those who take advanced stats into account, he's got a PDO of 94.1

The guy isn't having things go his way right now. While he won't likely shoot 21 percent very often, you can definitely expect a better coversion rate than his current 3.4 percent. If he had even bumbep that up to ten percent (and a shooter of his talent can usually shoot around 13/14), he'd be at 4 goals and in the team league.

I'd say that if you are competing, it's likely time to cut bait if you can get some value for him in a deal. If you aren't competing, definitely hold on to him. He'll turn it around sooner or later.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

The Great One

If Yakupov is moved to a different team, he might succeed, but it isn't because his style of game isn't suited for Edmonton. He can have lots of success in Edmonton, once they figure out how to play hockey properly. No one on the team is going to succeed until they do that.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    As for Eakins, he's a great coach. I think his biggest issue is that he expected his NHL players to be able to play as a team, in the NHL. The Oilers suck for so many reason and I'm not convinced there's a coach on the planet who can change that.
    Jacques Lemaire could haha
    Last edited by Rodgort; November 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I forgot the c in Jacques
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: I hate Yakupov. Do you?

Yak back to Russia. I totally nailed this. Amusing to read the comments in this thread.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nice bump.
    You put yourself out there with a bold thread that speculated on a player's demise and... nailed it.
    I got some REP for ya for that one!!!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Wow, lots of great responses. I had a feeling my post would generate some strong reactions. Playing the devil's advocate can do that sometimes.

One thing is clear. The jury is still out on Yak. I think if he is traded to a team that has a winning culture he has a better chance to become the great player he could be. I dont think his development will pan out if he remains in Edmonton. Someone with the proper gravitas needs to take Yak under their wing and help him learn how to be a complete player and a professional. His offensive talent is undeniable. It remains to be seen if he can overcome the huge flaws in his game. Time will tell. I'm betting against it but I am as fallible as everyone else on these boards.
    St Louis has a winning culture and the trade there didn't help him at all.

I still think Dallas Eakin was a guy who really screwed with Yakupov more than anyone. I really liked Yakupov and wanted him to pan out but it wasn't meant to be. I am not just referring to Edmonton, but Yakupovs career anywhere. The kid just seemed so happy all the time.

I still wish him all the best.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Man, what a great throwback thread. I miss a lot of the folks who posted in this thread. That was a really great time for the forums.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

I was really hoping Yak would turn the corner, somehow, and become a useful NHLer. It's hard to believe just how awful that draft class turned out to be. Wish the guy all the best in the KHL; not sure why anybody would hate him!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I love the hate. Just wait to see how much you hate him if the Oilers ever become a decent team. He's going to make everyone hate him more and it will be glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I see you say this every year...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    At this rate I'll probably have to keep saying it for another 5 years!
    lol, it's almost 5 years later...sigh!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Sage

Great call DG.

My buddy had Sarnia sting season tickets when he played there and gave me the heads up on yak. His comment that stuck the most was; Invisible every game. Scores a goal. Invisible again.
    Along with a bunch of other negatives (poor hockey sense, doesn't back check, doesn't defend well). I wish him luck but what a wasted pick that was...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I disliked Yak even before he entered the NHL. Had an interaction with him while I was working Front Desk at a hotel in Van where the Junior Russia Team (u19?) and they were touring Canada for the subway series. This was the fall after Yak had been drafted and his group got off the bus and all the players were being informed of their bunkmates for the stay.

Yak got triggered when he saw he didnt have a room to himself and starting yelling at the coaches and then ran to me and started bitching about how he wasn't sharing a damn room with Andrey Makarov (goalie). The team had only contracted so many rooms but we had availability and I told him if he wanted his own room he would have to pay which was like $150 at the time. He then went off to me about how he was a superstar and should be given better treatment and stormed off cursing at me and his teammates

Yup, pretty much from that moment I enjiyed his slow demise! Good riddance.
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Sage

Great story. And good riddance. Let the Russians deal with that shitshow.

Dobber Sports Stud

There's so much thinly veiled xenophobia on this site ... SMH
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    There's so much thinly veiled xenophobia on this site ... SMH
    Zero apologies from me. You ****ed up our election and by extension our country. I wouldnt even piss on a Russian who was on fire.