Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I hate Yakupov. Do you?

Dobber Sports Sage

Question I hate Yakupov. Do you?

I dont know the guy personally. But I see so many people just losing their minds over the guy, giving up really good players in trades for him.

Why?

He is a showboater, and has no work ethic, from what I have read. He scores a goal and then acts like he just cured cancer or invented the internet.

When I look at him, I see a guy who feels entitled. I cant shake the feeling that he's going to be an All-Star in 3 years...in the KHL.

When his ELC is up after next year, I see him holding out for a Hall/RNH/Eberle type of deal that he has done nothing whatsoever to justify. I see him heading back to the KHL for his holdout, then getting some ridiculous contract from one of the big clubs like CSKA for 10 years and a billion rubles or something.

I think the very best case scenario for him is Semin. I think the far more likely outcome is Zherdev, Radulov or Kovy, as in playing in Russia because its easy instead of doing the hard work he needs to be a star in North America.

If the rumors are true and the Oilers are shopping the shit out of him trying to get help at D and G, isn't that a major red flag? Shouldn't people be worried about his future production if a bad team like the oilers are already giving up on him?

Thoughts? I feel like I'm the only one around here who is out on this limb.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    He is a showboater
    What would ever give you that impression?
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The Oilers are a shit-show right now. No real team system, tons of injuries, poor team D, shoddy goaltending.

The Oilers are shopping him because they've got a surplus of talented young forwards. They are also shopping him because they have holes in the bottom 6, holes on D, and holes in goal. Lots of those. We've been saying forever that the Oil need to move one of these guys in order to build a team. They have the other three locked up to comparable Ks for around the same time. Their real window will be, imo, the last three years of those deals.

That is not to say they won't be a contender thereafter. It's only to say that those contracts are going to allow the Oil to potentially build a strong team at that time.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why Yak is being shopped that have, imo, little to do with his play.

From what I've seen watching games, he tries to do too much. He doesn't have high hockey IQ, and hasn't learned how to play positional D at the NHL level. He's got a great shot, elite acceleration, and plays with a ton of passion. He plays a lot like Taylor Hall. But they've got a Hall already, so it makes sense to shop him.

For what it's worth, I think your judgment is hasty, and doesn't take into account the context. That's my take anyway.
    Yahoo 12 team H2H Keeper (Keep 7 vets; 3 prospects (Skater < 201 GP; Goalie < 101GP)

Categories: G, A, P, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW, Hits, Blocks, W, GAA, Sv% Saves

Start 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 8Bn

C: Crosby, RNH, Stepan, Faksa
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Jenner (c), Komarov (c, rw), Dano
    RW: Voracek (lw), Neal, Hornqvist, Silfverberg, Buchnevich (lw), Boeser
    D: Karlsson, Letang, Ellis, Muzzin, Slavin, Boychuk
    G: Price, Bernier, Grubauer, Pickard

Dobber Sports Novice

Agree completely with PensInThree. He's stuck behind a logjam of other young scorers in edmonton, just like Omark and Paajarvi and Cogliano were. If the rumors come true and he goes to the Rangers or Philly or NJ or buffalo, he instantly becomes one of their top offensive threats, gets tons of power play time, and has coaches telling him to SCORE rather than block shots. Then again, Doug may be right and he'll bolt to the KHL. It's a gamble, but isn't that what hockey pools are all about? It was only a year and a half ago when almost every pro scout on the planet ranked him #1 on their draft lists, and since he's seriously sucking this year, now's your chance to buy low.
    10 Team Keeper, Keep 12.
    Roster: 15F, 6D, 3G. Start all except 3 IR and 6 farm (no bench function).
    Points only: G(1), A(1), W(2), SO(3).

F: J Tavares, A Kopitar, J Iginla, M Duchene, M Koivu, B Richards, R Kesler, K Turris, D Backes, M Richards, M Johansson, D Legwand, M Hanzal, A Shaw, C MacArthur.
    D: S Weber, O Ekman-Larsson, J Carlson, M Zidlicky, M Del Zotto, J Muzzin.
    G: H Lundqvist, B Holtby, R Miller.
    IR: -,-,-.
    Farm: N Yakupov, C Coyle, J Allen, E Kuznetsov, F Forsberg, E Lindholm.

Dobber Sports Pro

He has said plenty of times he does not want to go to the KHL.

I like him, has a real passion for the game. As for his "showboating" good on him, I know I don't want everyone acting like robots when they score.

The Oilers are a mess, so don't judge him too harshly and read what everyone says negatively about him. Just wait until he finds his groove... and hopefully that the oilers trade him away so he can become better haha
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Expert

wait, Yakupov did not invent the internet?

Dobber Sports Star

This thread should have been a poll with both answers being "Yes".
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Ninja

I love the hate. Just wait to see how much you hate him if the Oilers ever become a decent team. He's going to make everyone hate him more and it will be glorious.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I love the hate. Just wait to see how much you hate him if the Oilers ever become a decent team. He's going to make everyone hate him more and it will be glorious.
    You must be a serious Edmonton fan

I think it'll happen. They'll be great at some point. But right now everyone hates the hell out of em!
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Deity

Not exactly sure why you would hate Yakupov so much.

Personally, as an Oilers fan, I have a bigger hate on for Dallas Eakins more then any of the players. He has come in and took a franchise on the way up and turned it upside down to the point it's going backwards again.

I wonder if Ralph Krueger is working these days??
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    You must be a serious Edmonton fan

I think it'll happen. They'll be great at some point. But right now everyone hates the hell out of em!
    That's just it. So many people hate this team and its players and they pose zero threat to actually win games. What's it going to be like if they ever do start becoming a team that scores goals, wins games, and celebrates. There will be people who won't be able to get out of bed in the morning because they are so sad and/or angry. It's going to be so much fun.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Love how people make all these bold assumptions about the character of a 20 year old kid without personally knowing him or being in that locker room.

I wonder what we were all like when we were 20...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Love how people make all these bold assumptions about the character of a 20 year old kid without personally knowing him or being in that locker room.

I wonder what we were all like when we were 20...
    Was that just your 9000th post?
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

The Great One

if your reason to hate Yakupov is because, as a 20 year old, he is having trouble adjusting to the NHL while playing on the worse team in the league, then so be it.

Personally, I'd rather hate Pat Kane for beating up a cab driver over 25 cents...

Or Varlamov for allegedly beating his girl friend (or Brodeur, Mario Lemieux, or Patrik Roy instead)

Or Brad Marchand for being a dirty player...

Or Radulov for not honoring his NHL contract...

but that's just me
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Not exactly sure why you would hate Yakupov so much.

Personally, as an Oilers fan, I have a bigger hate on for Dallas Eakins more then any of the players. He has come in and took a franchise on the way up and turned it upside down to the point it's going backwards again.

I wonder if Ralph Krueger is working these days??
    I almost feel bad for Oiler fans. Almost.

They haven't shown much improvement over the years, even offensively. Still they toil near the bottom, talking about improvement soon...it's gotta suck.

But this is a reason I am ardently against so called "proper" rebuilds. Tanking is never the answer. It's never actually been shown to work. Teams that do it tank for years, struggling through constantly trading veterans, having at least one high profile player bust, and it almost always takes years longer than anyone suspected or said.

And even the teams that apparently used this model to win, like chicago or LA or Pittsburgh, really didn't. Upon closer inspection, it was once they realzied it wasn't working and they took more drastic measures that they turned it around (Pittsburgh might be the exception but they grabbed Crosby and Malkin in successive years. That's just not normal. And even still they made plays for Hossa, trading Whitney for Kunitz plus, signed guys like Gonchar).

Drafting high certainly helps, but when a team focusing on just doing that for years on end? It's not as effective as one might think. YOu need to surround young players with older veteran stars that can protect them and teach them as they grow. That's why you saw teams like Chicago signing guys like Hossa and Campbell to stupidly long deals. They finally understood that this was what it took to win.

The best rebuilding teams spend a minimal amount of time at the bottom of the standings
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson