Thread: Studs & Duds - Tuesday 10/29

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Studs & Duds - Tuesday 10/29

There were 8 games on the schedule last night which provided hockey fans with 40 goals, 11 of which came from the Chicago/Ottawa game. Out of the 16 teams playing only one team did not score a goal, which means that Richard Bachman was hung out to dry by a “supposedly” talented squad. I did not include Bachman in the duds section because, in my opinion, the Oilers did nothing to help him. Yes I know they fired 43 shots on goal but with a bevy of top first round draft picks one would expect a puck in the back of the net.

~~~~~

STUDS

~~~~~

The Double K Duo of Kessel and Kadri

Phil Kessel and Nazim Kadri combined for a total of 7 points last night. Kessel opened the scoring just over a minute into the game and Toronto never looked back. That first goal stood up as the game winner. Kessel finished the night with 2 goals, 2 assists, +4 and 3 shots on goal. His partner in crime, Kadri, ended with 1 goal, 2 assists, also a +4 and a blocked shot.

Don’t worry boys, I got this!

Jonathan Toews must have been seriously pissed that Chicago was losing 4-2 to the Sens. Ottawa had just scored 2 goals in just under a minute when the Chicago captain decided enough was enough. He brought the game to within one goal with just over 5 minutes to play in the second period. Whatever was said in the locker room worked because he tied it up just over a minute into the third. If you were watching the game, and your league counts game winning goals, then you were probably drooling at the thought of a bonus point. Sorry but Zach Smith spoiled that for you. Toews delighted those in points only pools with 3 goals, 1 assist, +2 and 4 shots on goal. He was however under 40% in face-off wins but we’ll let that slide.

Hey, remember me?

Raphael Diaz is again starting to do what he did last year, making people take notice. The Montreal defenseman is getting the ice-time and taking advantage of it. In just under 20 minutes he provided poolies with 2 assists, +2, 1 shot on goal (which resulted in a goal) and 3 blocked shots.

The Battle of the Kyles

Now I know Kyle Palmieri and Kyle Chipchura didn’t play against each other last night but they both delivered in almost every category. What’s more impressive is they also did this with limited ice-time. Palmieri finished with 2 goals, +2, 4 shots on goal, 1 blocked shot, 1 hit, the game-winning goal and all while playing 13 minutes and 22 seconds. Chipchura ended with 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 5 penalty minutes, 1 shot on goal, 1 blocked shot, 5 hits and won 55% of face-offs while playing 12 minutes and 25 seconds. I say that Chipchura wins the battle but only by a hair.

Is that all you got?

James Reimer made a case to be the undisputed starter in Toronto last night. He was bombarded with 43 shots and stopped them all. He would have been the night’s first star but Kessel had to spoil it. Reimer now has a spectacular save percentage of 0.949 on the season and an equally impressive goals against average of 1.99

~~~~~
    DUDS
    ~~~~~

Is it home time yet?

Sam Gagner, Nail Yakupov and Jordan Eberle finished a combined -11 and ALL 3 of them had over 20 minutes of ice-time each! Now that’s not for lack of trying as they also had 8 shots on goal between them. If your league counts peripheral stats they did help out a little bit but all of these guys should be producing where it matters, the score board!

Now you see me, now you don’t.

After picking up his first point of the season Alex Goligoski promptly disappeared again. His ONLY contribution to the stat line last night was 2 penalty minutes. He had 22 and a half minutes of ice-time and posted zeros across the board, except for a 2 minute minor for high-sticking. If you have him on your squad maybe now is a good time for him to be Goli”gone”ski!

Activating the Senior’s Discount

The 38 year old diminutive right wing has to feel his age at some point in the season. Martin St. Louis had over 21 minutes on the ice last night and could only muster 1 shot on goal. In addition to that he gave the puck away once and finished the night -2. Don’t forget to pick up your free bus pass on the way out Marty.

~~~~~

Penalty Minute Producers

Derek Dorsett – 15
    John Tavares – 12
    Luke Gazdic – 10

Cheers

six
    Last edited by sixhands; October 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Guru

Tavares got 12 pims? The goon.

Where's the Looney Toons? :-)

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

LOL, I was wondering when someone was going to mention the "missing" Tunes.

It was case of "eyes were bigger than my stomach"

I might bring them back for the final Tuesday Studs and Duds of the season.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com